How The Heck Do I Get Final Burn To Work?

darklight1138

I like to try to resolve something before asking for help, but I have very limited bandwidth and so can't research around or trial and error download a bunch of programs like before. Plus I have spent hours trying to resolve this and to no avail.

I downloaded the Final Burn from openhandhelds and couldn't get it to work. I then downloaded it from newsweez which it comes in a pack. There are 8 or so parts to the pack, so I downloaded the first one which contained the software plus some bios. I then downloaded one of the parts just to see if it will run. It sometimes comes up but freezes on the menu requiring a reboot of the Wiz.

Do I have to have every rom for it to run properly?

Is there more to it than simply copying the program to my SD card? I noticed when I unzipped the program there were a few zipped files in that. Do I need to unzip everything?

I read I needed to create a cache folder. Is this true? Or do I put cache files and the roms all in one folder?

Do I have to have .fpa files or will it run any CP roms?

I am really clueless here. Is there a tutorial that is available that walks me through every process? Or if someone can PM me precise instruction?

Thanks a million!

Ok, I can get the CP2 emulator to work fine. Plays the roms and everything.

However, when I try Final Burn it gets to the GUI and freezes, this time there seems to be more information on the screen like a preview. But it freezes everytime.

One thing that may be the problem. I have a slower card. I am using a MicroSD in an SD converter which has worked perfectly fine, except its a little slower than the SD card I had in it originally. I used the MicroSD because it is 16GB as opposed to the 4GB SD card I have. I've got a class 6 32GB SD card on the way, so if card speed is the problem that will be fixed when it arrives.

I'm not sure why FBA keeps freezing on you. Which firmware are you using? A couple things you can try are reformatting your sd card or reflashing the firmware. I supposse the card itself could be the problem but I am using an A-Data micro sdhc in an sd converter and have no problems with it.

You don't need any roms for the emulator to run, you just wouldn't be able to use it. Depending on the size of the rom you may need a cache file for it but I believe the roms should remain zipped. Unfortunately, I don't recall if you need a seperate folder for the cache files or if they just go with the roms. That's easy enough to test, and again, it wouldn't cause the emulator to freeze.
I don't know what those other zipped files are you mention. Try removing those and retry.

In the FBA2X folder you should have; 4 folders - conf, preview, roms, skin
Files - capex.cfg
COPYING
fba2x
fbacapex.gpe
fbacapex.png
mmuhack.ko
rominfo.fba
zipname.fba
Plus there's 2 text files(FBA2X.txt, README-FBACAPEX) but they don't need to be there if you don't want them there.

Thank you for your reply.

I thought it was my card as well. I changed to a class 6 (I think) SD card, which improves speed on my Wiz quite noticeably. When Neo Geo needs to create a .gfx file, the speed and reliability were greatly increased. But I still get the same results with FBA :( Last night I tried many different things, even going so far to write things down in order to be able to try different file/folder placements. One problem is that I can't seem to duplicate the few times I get FBA to actually display a menu (although it still locks up). Maybe the few times it displays something the Wiz freezes up after the menu runs instead of before it -- basically the same results.

I am using the latest firmware. I could try to reflash it, but I figure since everything else seems to work well I don't know if this would help.

There are two zipped files in the rom section when you download FBA from NewsWeez(neogeo.zip and pgm.zip). They're bios files I am pretty sure of. I tried unzipping those, moving them around, making duplicates in several folders, and other things. FBA came up once when I had unzipped the bioses and left them in the roms folder, deleting the zipped files.

There's an FBA2x file. Just file. Is it not supposed to have an extension? I added .gpe to it in one of my attempts and I am pretty sure FBA got to the menu but it still froze.

Anyway, no huge loss if I can't get it to work. I can get CP2 emulation to work with another program but Im still disappointed as there are a lot more games available for FBA.

Strange, I'm thinking it's a firmware issue. You could try reflashing the latest version or going down one. But I'm running 1.2.6 and it works fine. I suggest reflashing that one first.

If that doesn't work i'll upload my fba folder somewhere so you can try that. Let me know.

Ok, I flashed the firmware. 1.2.6. Everything went fine. Installed FBA and I got to the menu and it froze immediately. Rebooted and tried it again and it didn't even make it to a menu, just a black screen.

If you could upload your folder, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks alot for your help! :)

Back