Dxx-Rebirth (1 And 2)

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
I just wanted to say I finished the first mine.....
and it was using the that SGX chip quite nicely

Updated Summary:
Put the data files (PIG) into the appdata folders d1x and d2x
(Make sure the data is patched to latest version)

Packages:
D1X: http://dl.openhandhe...?0,0,0,0,30,175
D2X: http://dl.openhandhe...?0,0,0,0,30,177

Source
pickle.gp2x.de/d1x-rebirth_v0.55.1-src.zip
pickle.gp2x.de/d2x-rebirth_v0.55.1-src.zip
Code:
  media/SDCARD/pandora/appdata/d1x
  6856701 descent.hog
  4920305 descent.pig
 media/SDCARD/pandora/appdata/d2x
 5016232 alien1.pig
 4912053 alien2.pig
 1307598 descent2.ham
 7595079 descent2.hog
 2602492 descent2.s11
 5160905 descent2.s22
 4973944 fire.pig
 4931752 groupa.pig
 4926111 ice.pig
 99782888 intro-h.mvl
 104199780 other-h.mvl
 16766970 robots-h.mvl
 4833463 water.pig

Decent is such a great game... can't wait to play it on the pandora :) Thank you!

It was my favourite game back then(before Quake came out :p )
Is it easy to control on the Pandora?

Brilliant Brilliant game, well done. Are we going to get evem a sneak peek?

I hope we can play this multiplayer over the 'net .. I wasted so much time on Descent 1/2 when they were current, it'll be really awesome to play it some more with the Pandora.

Nice one Pickle! Can't wait! BTW, will you be releasing the sources to this - I for one will be very interested in what you did ..

Pickle said:
I just wanted to say I finished the first mine.....
and it was using the that SGX chip quite nicely
Cool, Descent was a great game. :) How are the Controls onto the Pandora? And of course, will we see a little Video of this game? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Controls work fine, although i havnt tried to get mouse nub action going yet. (remember SDL is being used)
Im pretty sure this engine supported some form of multiplayer.

The conversion went better than expected, I didnt see anything graphically wrong, which to be honest blows me away.
I want to tweak some things with the EGL layer and then I will put this out in the wild.
I might sneek a video of this onto youtube since its a first :).

Bloody game tease ;)

Great news Pickle, that's one of the games that I've been really wanting to try out. Downloaded it once for the 2X but only had a quick go as the controls seemed less than perfect for that sort of game. Glad I left it so not ruin the experience now.

Look forward to them vids appearing soon :D

To be honest, it is running well enough it will be available today or tomorrow, i just want to try and fix an issue that might be related to the egl.

Exciting times in the Pandora community! Not always easy for us new peeps to understand it all. :)

Just to help N00b's like me get a grip on this news....

SGX? Does this mean the onboard GPU, supplied I think by PowerVr?
OpenGL to GLES? Wiki tells me that Open Gl is an kind of cross platform Graphics platform. GLES, could that mean the Open GL ES, which is the "embedded" version? Embedded referring to stuff like PDA's/phones and of course the Beagle board/Pandora?
D1X Rebirth? Is this related to http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/ A source port of the game engine running Descent?

Right, with that bit googled and I think (?!?!) understood, what we really are talking about here is that you are not just doing a software emulation, but a full on port that leverages the muscle of the onboard GPU? Reducing the CPU resources and ultimatly giving us a silky smooth and fantastic experience? (EG Quake2)

Am on the right track? If I am I'd LOVE to see a Youtube if we are talking about Descent! I'm not the biggest Quake2 fan, but just sat with my jaw open watching the demo loop. I don't have any 3d game on my PSP that looked that smooth. But I loved Descent back in the day, and am itching to give this a go!

I hope this post makes sense! Doing my best to understand these things. I'm pretty good with advanced bubble pyhsics, M values and decompression theory, but computer programming is not my forte!

CapcomSuicide said:
Exciting times in the Pandora community! Not always easy for us new peeps to understand it all. :)

Just to help N00b's like me get a grip on this news....

SGX? Does this mean the onboard GPU, supplied I think by PowerVr?
OpenGL to GLES? Wiki tells me that Open Gl is an kind of cross platform Graphics platform. GLES, could that mean the Open GL ES, which is the "embedded" version? Embedded referring to stuff like PDA's/phones and of course the Beagle board/Pandora?
D1X Rebirth? Is this related to http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/ A source port of the game engine running Descent?

Right, with that bit googled and I think (?!?!) understood, what we really are talking about here is that you are not just doing a software emulation, but a full on port that leverages the muscle of the onboard GPU? Reducing the CPU resources and ultimatly giving us a silky smooth and fantastic experience? (EG Quake2)

Am on the right track? If I am I'd LOVE to see a Youtube if we are talking about Descent! I'm not the biggest Quake2 fan, but just sat with my jaw open watching the demo loop. I don't have any 3d game on my PSP that looked that smooth. But I loved Descent back in the day, and am itching to give this a go!

I hope this post makes sense! Doing my best to understand these things.

yes all of that is correct (some devices like the wiz (RAW framebuffer access only) would need more work to get it running, since i hanvt seen a way to get SDL to work with EGL without X)

Pickle said:
Controls work fine, although i havnt tried to get mouse nub action going yet. (remember SDL is being used)
As long as some kind of Analog Control is working, it should be good enough to have control over the game. :)
Oh, I often read what SDL CAN'T do, so I wonder what SDL actualy CAN do. :D

P.S.: checking the official D1X rebirth site I notice, that the improved Descent has bilinear filtered Tetures, would be awesome if these Features are available also in the Pandora Port. I only played the Game in Software mode onto my PC, back in the old Days. So now playing an improved Version onto such a small Device like the Pandora would be a true proof, that we really "live in the Future" now. :D

I'm totally up for multiplayer Descent any time!

I've played with the existing port using sw rendering; it chugs a little much so had to lower the resolution (letterboxing), but its quit playable when the keys are all mapped etc.

Using the GLES version ought to be damned amazing .. really looking forward to it :)

(And triply so .. I was looking at porting my ancient Pocket PC build, that used the original D1's sw rendering asm, that I retooled in ARM .. super damned fast, but 320x200 max; I'm so glad I don't have to revisit that code ;)

*cheers Pickle!*

jeff

fusion_power said:
Pickle said:
As long as some kind of Analog Control is working, it should be good enough to have control over the game. :)
Oh, I often read what SDL CAN'T do, so I wonder what SDL actualy CAN do. :D

P.S.: checking the official D1X rebirth site I notice, that the improved Descent has bilinear filtered Tetures, would be awesome if these Features are available also in the Pandora Port. I only played the Game in Software mode onto my PC, back in the old Days. So now playing an improved Version onto such a small Device like the Pandora would be a true proof, that we really "live in the Future" now. :D

Exactly the same for me! I had to play loads of these old games on crappy software only rendering, and just looking at Quake2 on Pandora was a pretty awesome experience.

It is so cool to see you developers pushing the Pandora & her potential like this. Great fun to be riding the wave as a new Pandora end user, I can assure you! :D

There are 2 things the pandora might not do, a enhanced transparency feature(dont really care) and maybe some special texture formats like GL_INDEX_COLOR, GL_RGB2. Nothing big.
The bi/trilinear filtering works.

Pickle said:
There are 2 things the pandora might not do, a enhanced transparency feature(dont really care) and maybe some special texture formats like GL_INDEX_COLOR, GL_RGB2. Nothing big.
The bi/trilinear filtering works.

If it looks anything near as good as Quake2 does, which come on lets face it on the pandy screen is Gobsmackingly good at 500mhz! Then I am sure that losing the odd filter or texture effect won't make a nat's hair of difference.

Perhaps if we all think "Post a youtube Pickle" at the same time we might see. :D

Half the fun with Pandora is that old 3d games looks mint on that small, yet sweet, screen. Mario64 is another game that springs to mind. I own that on the N64 & the Wii download service, but it really looks best on Pandora.

Can't wait for more news. :)

Back