Cyberpunk Anime

moz posted on Aug 1 2004 at 03:27 PM said:
dragon ball Z is good cyber punk then?

i see a lot of it on ebay i can use the money i was going to use to upgrade my computer to play half life 2 and doom 3 instead to buy the entire collection of Dragon BallZ what do you think?
LOL, no I dont think so.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only anime i've watched is NGE. That includes End of Evangelion, which is even more confusing than the last episode. It wasn't so much an explanation of the series, as a completely different version of episodes 25 and 26, because as far as i'm aware, people complained that the series didn't have the ending they were expecting.

Woo, third impact!

Anime i'm looking to try out, are all stages of Initial D, Noir, Hellsing, and Full Metal Alchemist.

Twinbee posted on Aug 1 2004 at 04:54 PM said:
Anime i'm looking to try out, are all stages of Initial D, Noir, Hellsing, and Full Metal Alchemist.
FMA is really cool, I'm halfway thru the series

Also, everyone should check out some Miyazaki films. I recommend Castle of Cagliostro and Laputa, but any Studio Ghibli output is well worth a look.
Nausicaa is my all time favourite :D

Anyone into Urotsukidoji

frolik posted on Aug 1 2004 at 03:11 PM said:
Anyone into Urotsukidoji

dearie. hooligan is pretty funny h :huh: <_<

mmm, this thread turned into "what anime r0x" rather than cyberpunk anime ... and cyberpunk is a sub-genre of sci-fi.

what is cyberpunk?

anyway, since we've dived into sci-fi, i've got to recomend last exile ... moving music, hot animation (ok, SOME of the 3d stuff is a little out of place), compelling characters and storyline ... :ph34r:

oh did i mention the main characters of last exile are couriers? that makes it cyberpunk right? ;)

PinkSpider posted on Aug 1 2004 at 01:58 PM said:
I gotta see those 2 ghibli films; the only ones ive seen are Princess Mononoke (own on video) and Spirited Away (saw at cinema twice).

Princess Mononoke is awesome, definately one of my favorite anime movies.

Not much of an anime guy, I read more manga than I watch anime, such as Fullmetal Alchemist and Naruto (my personal favorite :)), but I have some anime DVDs.

Getting back on topic slightly, THE cyberpunk anime which I can recommend is Akira, it was a groundbreaking movie when it came out and still has it's magic and that weird-ass ending :D

P.S. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a 'proper' anime channel which isn't toonami in the UK? Like Adult Swim, for instance?

if we're still on the subject of anime Casshan is quite good

the movie Casshern was based on it (if anyone has seen Casshern not the Caahan helmet in the background whilst Luna's dad creates the armour suit)

Stand Alone Complex is good.
laughingman6tr.gif

firefly1201 posted on Aug 12 2005 at 02:35 PM said:
THE cyberpunk anime which I can recommend is Akira, it was a groundbreaking movie when it came out and still has it's magic and that weird-ass ending :D

if you've read the original books from which it was made from, the film ending is about a third of the way through the books, so it doesn't make a lot of sense, it's still one of my favorites

castle in the sky is worth a watch, though not cyber punk obviously

finty posted on Aug 1 2004 at 11:15 AM said:
I have to get into this anime malark. Im going to start with cowboy Bebop, purely because the name is cool.

Thats a pretty good idea, I'm about half way through this series and its a really good series to get into anime with (not that I'm new to anime or anything :) ).

I watched bought Akira on video when I was about twelve and its occupied a soft spot in my heart ever since, although since I completed collecting the books when I was 19 I've realised the manga is actually far better.

Studio Ghibli is rocking my world at the moment, I love Spirited Away. Princess mononoke is alright but I actually prefer KiKis delivery service (which is about as light hearted as anime comes!).

If you haven't seen Akira or Cowboy Bebop (including the film) then I recomend them. Also GITS is very good.
P.S. Casshern is a hella cool film.
P.P.S. Samurai Champloo is one of the best series I've seen.

c0ncept posted on Aug 14 2005 at 10:53 AM said:
GITS?

Ghost in the Shell

Just watched an episode of Naruto, episode 42 in fact, Sakura vs Ino. After reading the chapter in the manga series of it, I just had to watch it. I thought it was a really drawn-out affair, and what was 10 minuts reading time was made into a 20 minutes fight. Hell, she's making the Mind Transfer sign for well over 3 minutes. First impressions: not the best series ever, but I'll have to watch more for a better opinion.

frolik posted on Aug 1 2004 at 10:11 PM said:
Twinbee posted on Aug 1 2004 at 04:54 PM said:
FMA is really cool, I'm halfway thru the series

Also, everyone should check out some Miyazaki films. I recommend Castle of Cagliostro and Laputa, but any Studio Ghibli output is well worth a look.
Nausicaa is my all time favourite :D

Anyone into Urotsukidoji
Nausicaa film is crap compared to the anime. Well it isnt crap, its just not as amazingly good.

My fave ghibli film is Princess Mononoke.

Oh and the first GITS film is crap... the Manga is excellent and the second film good. And the series is okay too. And the second book I havent even opened yet but its around here somewhere.

Also someone mentioned Full Metal Alchemist - TIS FECKING EXCELLENT! And with an ending I dont think anyone could have expected.

has anyone else been watchin Eyeshield 21, its is quite good, although I havent read the manga

I am currently watching Eyeshield, Full Metal Alchemist, and reading Naruto (because the battles in the anime take too long)

Back