Current D-pad Options

naples39

Given how most emulators are pretty well advanced, I find the biggest thing holding back my play time is the joystick. Now I like my DaveC cap and all, but what are the current options for switching to a dpad?

Fixing it myself probably isn't an option. I have neither the tools nor the skill to start tearing apart my gp2x, even with a good guide. So is there anyone out there installing dpads, either as part of a new gp2x sale, or as a pseudo-repair service?

Also, will this cause me to lose stick-click ability? That would pretty much kill NES emulation at least (a biggie for me), as most options and save states are handled that way.

BTW, if mods feel this should be in the "I need help" forum, feel free to move it.

Well I have a GP2X with a Dpad mod by DaveC which is superb!. I don't think you can buy these mods yet but I'm sure at some point they will be available. The mod is very good and very robust, It's brought new life to my GP2X. The Dpad is as good as the GBAs Dpad, the only problem it does not support the stick press or the diagnals. The diagnals do not cause a major problem as most software interprets combinations of UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT as diagnals. There is apparently a logic board which you can buy which will correct the diagnals and the stick push, I think someone else makes these but i can't remember who.

I am waiting for a d-pad mod as well, and I can/will do the mod myself. The last time I opened gp2x, I added the internal USB host port; while at it I checked if I can modify the stick for less dead-zone, but without damaging it did not seem possible to make the stick nice and robost.

I looked the wiki page about stick mods,
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Joystick_Alternatives
and I want a minimal externally-invasive procedure (i.e. preserving the outer plastic as much as possible) but I could not find one that satisfied me. I also checked out if I can find a compatible stick with less dead-zone and replace the stock, again no luck.

To be honest, a lot of people has done real nice mods. The mod Reesy was talking about is the one that I would probably consider because it involves all the needed pieces and it seems robost (I don't want to look around to find one of the needed pieces, and I want it to last)

I've made once a program for a microcontroller capable of addressing all joy-related differences (centre push and diagonals) but so far I have not made a D-Pad mod (I've bough new joy caps but still I'm still having problems with the joy) so I've never tested it outside a breadboard environment...

hmm, can anyone give any info on how compatible the bob is with usb joypads?

...maybe my only way to play haduken and shoryuken games properly, thanx

Once D-Pad mods can be bought and I can send my GP2X to somebody who actually knows what they're doing, I'll get a D-Pad for mine. Until then, I'm fine with the stick.

Well I have a GP2X with a Dpad mod by DaveC which is superb!. I don't think you can buy these mods yet but I'm sure at some point they will be available. The mod is very good and very robust, It's brought new life to my GP2X. The Dpad is as good as the GBAs Dpad, the only problem it does not support the stick press or the diagnals. The diagnals do not cause a major problem as most software interprets combinations of UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT as diagnals. There is apparently a logic board which you can buy which will correct the diagnals and the stick push, I think someone else makes these but i can't remember who.

As far as the stick push, a simple push button could be added to the mod. You would just have to solder 2 wires to the back of the PCB and locate the push button somewhere. I was to lazy to suss out where to mount the button etc but that would be an EASY fix.

The logic board was made by Radek but he is MIA. Your mod is actually capable of retrofitting the logic board but you would need to cut a few traces on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back