Curious About The Control Pad

T

TelcoLou

I was playing some MAME games last night on my GP32, and got to thinking about the GP2X and its 12-position control pad. I read that the 'clicky-ness' is gone (hoo-ray!). Has anyone gotten any hands-on time with the GP2X, and could report back as to the 'feel' of it?

Squidge said in another thread (I forget which one) that it felt very good, and also said you could tell when you hit a direction.

craigix posted on Sep 28 2005 at 06:18 PM said:
Its nice, feels more like a cross between a joypad and the original GP32 stick.

does it click? like the gp32 stick

Last edited by a moderator:
???

This is the first time I'd heard about this. Anyone who's noticed my posts knows that I'm still waiting for my GP32 from Ebay, so I gotta ask: How does the original system pad click?

Is it like those miserable old Street Fighter home controllers that made loud, audible clanks when rotated, or is it like you sort of "feel" the plastic connecting underneath the pad?

From what I gather, the pad is sort of a stick and a regular pad at the same time, but does all this mean that when swirled around, you can hear it clicking like a gear or something? That would suck (especially when trying not to keep up my college -going girlfriend!)

It audibly clicks. Some people liked it, some didn't. Sounds like you won't.

The GP2X doesn't click. You might want to consider getting a 2X to replace the 32 someday.

Yes, clicks just like a streetfighter stick/gear wheel. I actually like it, as I had bad experieneces with non-micro switched joysticks back in the pre analogue days of game input :)

pea posted on Sep 29 2005 at 05:12 AM said:
Yes, clicks just like a streetfighter stick/gear wheel. I actually like it, as I had bad experieneces with non-micro switched joysticks back in the pre analogue days of game input :)

I also like clicky micro-switched sticks. I always used arcade sticks on my consoles. And I was thrilled that the GP32 stick was like the NGPC stick, which clicks too. But I can understand how some people could dislike it. Especially if you're in a quiet room with other people around. ;)

But it's not the click sound I like, so much as the positive feeling you get when you hit a direction when the microswitch makes contact. It helps with input accuracy. So long as the GP2X stick gives some degree of tactile feedback letting you feel when you've hit a cardinal direction, I'll be very happy.

I've been a bit unhappy with the GP32's stick - too often, I 'tell' it to go diagonal and it just does a straight line instead.

The number of times I've died in Manic Miner because I've jumped straight up instead of across is unreal :(

oneandoneis2 posted on Sep 29 2005 at 12:25 AM said:
I've been a bit unhappy with the GP32's stick - too often, I 'tell' it to go diagonal and it just does a straight line instead.

The number of times I've died in Manic Miner because I've jumped straight up instead of across is unreal :(
YAy it doesnt click now i can play actual games in class and not be looked at :)

wait.. where's the sense in a 12-way control pad? are there 4 diagonal positions?

mison posted on Sep 29 2005 at 01:12 PM said:
wait.. where's the sense in a 12-way control pad? are there 4 diagonal positions?

Yeah, that doesn't make sense, so you can't go 45, 135, 225, or 315 degrees? If there are 12 instead of 8 directions......

Thanx,
Stan

second exodous posted on Sep 30 2005 at 05:31 AM said:
Yeah, that doesn't make sense, so you can't go 45, 135, 225, or 315 degrees? If there are 12 instead of 8 directions......

45 degrees would trigger both the 30 and 60 degree switches, ditto for the other angles.

theoddbot posted on Sep 29 2005 at 01:50 PM said:
45 degrees would trigger both the 30 and 60 degree switches, ditto for the other angles.

Still doesn't make sense to have 12 directions over 8 though, how many games will use the extra 4? They also are at weird angles that most 2D games would never use.

Thanx,
Stan

The 12 contacts are for accuracy.

4 for your regular North south east west movement, the other 8 (2 for each diagnal) assure that you dont go "right" when you were trying to push "diagnal up/right".

Of course I'm sure if some dev wanted to make a game where you have 12 directions much like a clock (ie. "bombers at 4 o'clock!") it could be possible but that's up to them.

it stops the controller pivoting on a single contact and should also help do quarter circles and dragon punches

Technically, you can detect 24 positions with 12 connectors. One position for each connector and one position when two connectors are pressed at the same time. According to GPH the extra switches is for added precision.

450pm.gif

Thanks for all the replies.

I've grown used to the GP32's 'clickyness', but am relieved about the GP2X's more precise pad ... over time, it seems like, despite the audible clicks, my GP32's stick feels sloppy and far less responsive.

*anticipates* :D

Back