GP2X Cradle & Jtag

void

Still Fresh
I recently bought the cradle, and I feel somewhat cheated. I knew there was no any powersupply
included - still I did not realise how expensive a 5V 3A powersupply is. I guess that is one of the
reasons they left it out. 3A?!

Anyways, to my question.

What is the easiest and cheapest way to play with the JTAG support in the cradle?
What do I need and what is a good setup?

And I know there are several good but expensive solutions, but as I am a hobbyist - I'd rather
have less functionality than a hefty price.

Why would you need a 3A power supply? I use the developer board with a 300mA power supply and it works for all the features.

Orkie said:
Why would you need a 3A power supply? I use the developer board with a 300mA power supply and it works for all the features.
Yes, I was asking myself the same thing. Still the little leaflet included clearly specified 3A. I assumed that it was necessary as it said so.

A 300mA I already have lying around. I will try with that one and see if I am happy.

But why would they specify 3A if its not necessary?

Last edited by a moderator:
Orkie said:
void said:
But why would they specify 3A if its not necessary?
Because they are stupid? :)

Oh, well that's a thought. ;-) I'll try with the one I got. Thanks for the tip Orkie, much appreciated.

Anyone have any comments on my original question about the cheap "I-wanna-play-with-JTAG"-solution?

They say 3A because of the possibility of powering 4 power-hungry usb devices. Even at USB spec, that's 2A straight away, then you need a bit for the rest of the electronics, so they round up to the nearest, which happens to be 3A.

Of course, if your not going to use the USB sockets, then a 300mA PSU is more than adequate.

As for JTAG, the cradle is wiggler compatible, you just need an appropriate parallel cable to go from the cradle to your pc, and software which supports the "wiggler" standard.

Squidge said:
As for JTAG, the cradle is wiggler compatible, you just need an appropriate parallel cable to go from the cradle to your pc, and software which supports the "wiggler" standard.
Ooh, that's interesting... Ta Squidge! :)

Squidge said:
I've found some information about the Wiggler now. Still I am unclear on at least one thing. Where does it connect to on the cradle? The pdf talks about a OCD port, but I cant see anything like that on the cradle.

There should be a 25-pin D connector on it. You connect that to your PC with a parallel cable (power down your PC and the GP2X first!)

I've got one of the bare-board BOBs, but from what I've seen the inards of the cradle are pretty much identical.

void said:
I've found some information about the Wiggler now. Still I am unclear on at least one thing. Where does it connect to on the cradle? The pdf talks about a OCD port, but I cant see anything like that on the cradle.
OCD = Onchip Debugger. Thats the 25-way connector on the cradle. No electronics required - everything is built into the cradle. The only thing you need is a parallel cable.

Back