Cracked LCD, replacement not in stock

amyren

I havent been using my Pandore for a while now, and decided it was time to take it out of the box. It was ok the last time I used it, and to my surprise the LCD was cracked even if it had been in the protective carry case all the time.

Time to get a replacement, but unfortunately at dragonbox.de it says its out of stock.
I then created a ticket to ask if they will get them back in stock. It only been a few days (4) since creating the ticket so I asume they are quite busy. I dont know how long time they usually use for a response, but still if I get a positive reply I guess it may take a while before they actually apear in stock again.

Are these LCD's specially made for the pandora, or is this a standard LCD screen that can be purchased elsewhere?

regards

No, I think that the screens are not special, you can probably get the part info on the Wiki.

Where are you located ?

You should be okay just waiting for a response form the shop. They helped me find a suitable replacement. In case it is only the touchscreen that broke, but the LCD itself has survived, they have (or at least very recently had) touchscreens on hand for repairs. The stock that is saved for repairs does not seem to be listed on the website, so you simply need to ask directly.

We probably have some stock left for repairs, so just use the contact form on the shop.

Case is resolved, I got the replacement lcd some weeks ago but havent had the time to do the replacement before now.
The new screen is working well.

I do have one question though. The touch screen is slightly incorrect at the upper part of the screen so I want to allign it.
But that allignment tool does not allow me to do that. It tells me to touch the crosshair near the upper left corner. Then tells me to touch it firmer, and after this it tells me to increase the pressure gradually, decrease gradually, please dont make abrupt movements,etc. And all the time thecrosshair is at the upper left, and these messages just repeats and I never get to calibrate the remaining positions of the touchscreen.
I just updated to superzaxon 1.76, is there a problem with the alligh tool in this version or am I doing something wrong here?

What tool is that? I don't remember the intended one (Settings -> Calibrate Touchscreen) to ever ask such things.
Yes, that is the one. I cant remember that behaviour either, and I'm sure I have used the calibrate touchscreen before. That was why I asked if this was something that have changed.
It's probably several updates since last time I did use that tool though.

I just opened the tool here, it opens a black screen with a cross in the upper left area, (aprox 6mm from the screen edges.

First screen:
TSLIB Calibration Utility
Touch Crosshair to Calibrate

the cross now slide diagonally up to the upper left corner and back to the same spot, now with the text
TSLIB Calibration Utility
Decrease touch pressure gradually

if I manage to satisfy it, then it will change to Increase touch pressure gradually
Then it will change between these two messages no matter how many times I repeat it.
If I fail, it will either tell me not to make abrupt movements or to make a firmer touch, before it continues the same calibration loop.
There is no way to quit the tool either, other than leaving it running and return to the desktop by pressing the pandora button.

Maybe the inner lid part of the case is pushing against the touchscreen,you could try again with it loosened to confirm it isn't... Other than that I wouldn't know what it could be, I've never seen the calibration tool ask for pressure changes. Usually it's just touching 5 cross hairs, each corner + center screen.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Eight Bit:
I did try to loosen the LCD front cover by removing the 4 screw and released the edges from the back parts. I did run the tool again, but it is the same.

_jr_:
Reading the description on the repo for that update it does look like this is the same version that I have installed.
The update is over 3 years old. I dont remember installing that, unless it came with one of the superzaxxon updates.

Is there a way I could uninstall it and get the older version with just the normal calibration?
I notice that there is a separate support thread for this update. I will read through that thread and perhaps ask my question there.
https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/precise-touchscreen-calibration.74157/

But first I will go to the repo and download it, just to make sure that I do have the latest version and try the calibration once more.
[doublepost=1495958853,1495953941][/doublepost]Update: The problem is solved

I did download the TSLIB update, and ran the PND.
I was prompted to confirm that I wanted to update. And then restarted when prompted. This changed nothing, the utility was still the same.

Then I did run the PND again and this time I was asked to confirm to uninstall the update. After next reboot I now have the old utility that only calibrate the position on the cursor.
I was sweating a bit over this, because now I had to recalibrate three times befor the touch was acceptable. The first two times I performed the calibration, the cursor was way off after calibration.
But now the touch ok, and at the best since replacing the LCD.

So for some reason I must already have had that update installed, but the PND did not detect that it was installed until I reinstalled it.

There seem to be a limited numbers of these screens available at the dragonshop. It says out of stock, but they apearently does have a few left reserved for repairs.
And in the shop the description for these replacement LCD's are "used with touchscreen issues".
They did send me one, but there was no note or anything in the package, so I dont know whether the one I got was a new one or one that supposed to have touchscreen issues.
If it was the latter, that may explain why I had problems calibrating the touchscreen with pressure touch. In that case, I consider myself lucky that this was the only touchscreen issue, since it works well for normal touch usage.

For anyone else that needs to replace their LCD at some point, it may be useful to know that this probably can be purchased elsewhere also. It will be a bit more expensive that the ones from dragonbox.de, but that may be the only option to get a new one.
At the back of the LCD the model number is written, TD043MTEA1. If you do a search at Aliexpress.com or ebay.com you will find these screens. From the pictures they do lock identical, and is pictured as a complete unit with LCD and digitizer (touchscreen) together.
The only thing I noticed is that they seem to come in two different shape of the connector cable. But if you have your old one in front of you and compare, it is easy to tell them apart. At aliexpress they sell from 30 USD incl shipping and up. At ebay they are more expensive.
If EvilDragon or someone else from the shop is reading this, they may be able to confirm if these screens are compatible or not.

upload_2017-5-31_11-44-41.png

Here is a screenshot from the ones available at aliexpress. The two to the left looks like the one used for the padora, but the one at the right has a different shape of the connector cable.
Maybe it can be twisted to fit, but the plastic is a bit stiff, so I think the ones to the left as a safer choice.

You're probably right. The sellers at aliexpress doesn't have the habit of overdoing their productdescriptions.

Just a question out of curiousity, does it exist larger LCD screens, eg. 5 inch that is directly compatible and fits the same lcd connector. In case some want to modify their pandora a bit?

Back