Crack in black case

zidakano

Still Fresh
Prior to buying I knew that the black cases were prone to crack around the hinge but, I've had my pandora just shy of a month. It has developed a 1/4 - 3/8 inch crack between the L-sholder button and the hinge starting from the hinge and moving out. To my knowledge it was not there on arrival and, I have not dropped it I really thought that if I was careful I could prevent it. I bought a hardcase from ithic.com along with the pandora and a sd card to keep it in when it is not in use.

So my question is "What are my options?" Currently it is small and the hinge still functions fine does seem a bit looser than it was originally (the actual movement in opening not side to side) is there anything I can do to prevent the crack from getting worse or is switching the case to the new silver one pretty much it?

My wife seems to have my real camera But I got it to show up on my phone. Please forgive the awful macro shots.

crack.png

crackflash.png

Np, that's fine pictures... but very ugly crack. I don' remember having see one like this on these boards.

Unfortunately, this part is not easy to change.

You may first try some strong glue, but be very careful not to put too much, then press hard, and a loooong time.

I honestly haven't seen any other pictures I just see people post that it does happen with the black cases so I don't know how this one compares to others. Using a thin super glue and then maybe covering it with black tape/flexible black plastic was about the best I could think of. The crack does open up a bit when I close the screen so it probably will get worse if I leave it alone...

have u read the

How To: Fix hinge holes using Sugru thread?

although its for hinge might help. i used milliput it is cheap and u can store it.

I have one in the same place, but that Pandora is one and a half year old now and suffers from more serious issues than this.

[edit]Correction, it is on the opposite side, i.e. the side of the R button.[/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
the milliput looks like it could be helpful to cover the crack after applying some superglue to the crack. I.E. apply glue clamp/hold until dry. Cover over that with a very thin layer of milliput let cure. Hope for the best. Do you think that milliput would stick and cure to a relatively flat surface and not peel off after it has cured. As in do would it adhere to the plastic. I've never used sugru or milliput so I don't know how the work really.

Are the hinge cracks/holes in that thread what everyone is talking about when they say the black cases are prone to cracking?

have u read the

How To: Fix hinge holes using Sugru thread?

although its for hinge might help. i used milliput it is cheap and u can store it.
I must advise against this, nowadays, unfortunately. I learned during some hot weather recently that Sugru is not as heat-resistant as is claimed, and it fell right off of another device that I had used it on when the weather got warm.

Are the hinge cracks/holes in that thread what everyone is talking about when they say the black cases are prone to cracking?
Not just those. The black cases crack all over the place - most often, but not necessarily limited to, particular stress points, such as the hinge, top left corner of the lid, and some points on the back panel surrounding the USB port and the like.

Mine even has a crack near to the top of the microphone hole, running down said hole, and into the case, where you can clearly see a big chunk of it has dropped out, because you can see the LEDs on the board if you look down through it. I must send it in for re-casing with one of the silver ones, at some point... :p

Bummer...I didn't realize they were That prone to cracking. at the time of purchase ithic.com didn't have the silver ones, I bought it during the free shipping sale about a month ago. Silver ones are up now and black are out of stock.

I really don't want to complain/return/exchange over a crack but I also don't want my pandora to fall apart even though I treat it nice. I understand things don't last forever but I think more than a month shouldn't be expecting too much.

I really like it (of course) and want to at least try to develop something even if it is lame just because I think it is a cool project. Had a launch psp (hacked it as soon as it hit the net) got a caanoo which no one really develops for due to the pandora being awesome so now I have a pandora (it was a logical progression or at least that's what I tell my wife)

@prometheus how do we get a recase? just contact ed? also anywhere where we can buy a silver case and do recasing ourselves?

^ I *think* that ED has added, or will soon add, an option to his shop to send in a unit for re-casing, as well as to just buy the case and do it yourself at your own risk. I just haven't had the time to deal with getting my own Pandora sorted out, yet, so I'm not 100% sure on that point.

Hi There!

To warm this topic up again a bit.. (as there are still many black cases out there):
Seems like I also have a crack-sensitive case on my march-2012-rebirth pandora: I opened the battery case of my Pandora only twice in its whole life.. and now, 2 of the three hooks that kept the lid where it is are broken off. In addition, some small cracks in the inner display bezel occured early already .. hopefully, they don't get more. Now I am asking myself the following:

1. Are all black cases like that? (I am wondering anyway that it is so hard to get better quality cases)

2. Are the new silver cases better? (btw: I really preferred the old black color)

3. Are the silver cases made of silver-colored plastic or just colored silver, and when yes, what color is beneath it?

cheers,

joe

1. Seems like a good majority of them have this problem.. I have two black cased Pandoras and they both have cracking in different spots.

2. From what I read yes.

3. I Know it's a paint from what I read, just not sure what is under it.

Don't know if it's luck, but I have an original black CC Pandora - and no cracks.

When I first got it, I loosened ALL screws by at least a quarter turn (this made it 'creak' a bit initially, but it's silent now!) and I put a 1cm wide strip of clear vinyl adhesive across the seam at the base of the LCD hinge (a crack hotspot). Seems to have either been a lucky unit or these precautions have have paid off.

Back