CPU Speeds Etc

Depends on what it should do while it sits there.

I'd guess the normal speed is fine, as it won't draw much power, when the cpu is idle anyways.

it depends on what You do.

If cli jobs => set to 400Mhz

if games only => stay with 600Mhz

if 8bit / 16bit emus => stay with 600Mhz

if 32bit emus / 16bit computers [amiga] => go with 700Mhz/800Mhz

i see no reason not to leave my pandora at opp3 with 800mhz at all times. the pandora uses as much as it needs, the voltage is stock, so battery drain is the same between 200mhz and 800mhz, and it runs smoother at no loss.....unless im doing something heavy like mupen, than i sometimes go as far as boot into minimenu and run it at opp5 with 1ghz

i see no reason not to leave my pandora at opp3 with 800mhz at all times.

Could I have a second opinion on this? If this is going to drain my battery no more than leaving it at 600mhz, then I would love to keep it at this setting for the experience of a more responsive navigation of the desktop at the very least...?

An idle CPU uses minimal energy, whether it has a clock rate of 800Mhz or 125Mhz, at a given OPP level. This was discovered some time ago with the original attempt at a low power setting: the clock speed used to get turned down to 14Mhz, but this had detrimental effects on the clock and other live systems. Upon experimentation, it was found that the battery level when put into "low power" at 14Mhz changed by the same amount as if it were clocked down to 125Mhz, so now the low power mode only clocks down to 125Mhz. It has to be 125Mhz because that's the maximum guaranteed clock speed at OPP1. After that change was added, further experimentation found it to be basically the same across all OPP levels: clocked at 500, 600, or 800, it didn't matter: if it sat idle on the desktop the battery drain was the same at OPP3.

The only thing I use to throw higher clocks speeds at was mupen. I use to clock it up to 900MHz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back