Cpu Speed Issue...

NickLoTurco

Website
www.hitthesport.com
I have a few of problems with my Pandora.

1) Cannot up my CPU speed, system just freezes no matter how long I leave it and I have to reboot.
2) Bombjack on Fuse will not load anymore despite previously being able to.
3) When launching the Atari ST emulator, it asks me if I want to set the CPU to 600, whatever option I choose, when I click okay, the system freezes as in when I try to change the CPU speed.

Can anyone help me with these? It's only just started happening.

I've been saying for a long time, overclocking is not guaranteed. This is what happens when people start assuming everything will be fine. :(
Try this: open a terminal and type
echo 5 > /proc/pandora/cpu_opp_max
then try setting your CPU speed higher.

Thanks mate that worked, but why did my Pandora start doing that? I rarely overclock and if I do it's only to 750ish.....are we saying that my pandora is dying from overclocking already?

So long as you can operate at 500Mhz in OPP3 it is behaving exactly as it is supposed to. The fact that you were able to overclock before and can't now could be a symptom of the CPU being "broken in", so to speak, or something like that.
It could be a symptom of bigger problems, but for now it is behaving within spec, unfortunately. One day you may turn it on and it no longer works at even 500Mhz, at which point you should seek an RMA.

Okay so my pandora I've regularily been overclocking to 800mhz for the psx emulator.
Suddenly if I try to overclock I set the speed and then that little box comes up if I click OK the pandora freezes. Doesn't matter what I set the cpu speed to the pandora just freezes.
Is this problem related or different? What should I do?

Oh hey, you are correct!
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56589-solved-cant-overclock-anymore/page__view__findpost__p__916675
I apologize, I don't know everything. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
This is what happens when people start assuming everything will be fine. :(

has there been a case where someone couldn't overclock to at least 750 yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
isnt the pandora sold as 600+? thought 600 is the standard clock and it's currently underclocked at stock, and undervolted (opp4 normal, now opp3?)

Did I miss something?

I believe originally the cpu was supposed to be stable at 500 then TI realised that it could do 600 stable and changed the specs. But the pandora defaults the clock to 500. I usally set my clock to 800 when playing psx or n64. Somewhere above there I start experiencing problems.

500 is and always was the default at OPP3 for the OMAP3530, and OPP3 is the TI recommended running mode. It has an "overdrive" mode (OPP5) for which TI says it will be stable at 600Mhz. That is how the processor in the Pandora can be listed as "600", because it technically is; even though it needs to reach the bounds of it's operating mode, TI still guarantees that behavior.
The fact that everyone so far (with the exception of when something goes wrong, as seen above) has gotten at least 700Mhz in OPP3, and some have hit 1100 in OPP5 is basically good fortune.
Now, a few months back, they started doing something (I'm still not quite sure what) that allowed them to start selling a new revision. It's the exact same processor, but it's guaranteed to 720Mhz, not just 600. Maybe they're doing some additional tests and binning the ones that pass, or the ones that fail, or they simply realized that all their processors were consistently exceeding spec so found a way to charge more money for the same product, who knows. It should be noted that they did not change the spec: the 720Mhz version of the OMAP3530 is a different product from the 600Mhz version. You can (or could, last time I checked) order from either stock. TI upped the maximum speed it will guarantee, but charges more for it. The 600Mhz version is still available for those on a tighter budget. It is the 600Mhz version that OPT has purchased

Back