Cpu/lcd/ram Tweaker Version 2.0

i have no idea how to get the script to work or even where to begin, an example script would be nice, and we could just edit the valued and directory of the gpu

I think it's to be expected. It's when a program really pushes the unit that the freezes start. Not that I need to overclock many programs nowadays due to the quality of the emulators :)

I tried adjusting the memory timings as per the readme example (tRC(5), tRAS(5), tWR(2), tMRD(4), tRFC(4), tRP(3), tRCD(3)). It ran and gave a 10% performance boost in UAE4all :) Nice one.

I really like the BIOS - style interface. Has anyone recompiled firmware 2.0 with a launcher which doesn't reset the CPU speed? It would make life much much easier.

Ok .. then you are very lucky, because i made a mistake in the Readme :).

The RAM-Values i provided there were from the test-phase and the aren't in cycles, they are the register settings. So every value has to be +1. I myself get a garbled screen with the values :).
the right ones are tRC(6), tRAS(6), tWR(3), tMRD(5), tRFC(5), tRP(4), tRCD(4) ... but if they work, you got some good RAM.

To the Speed-Tester: the problem is, that the tester plays only with the CPU, whereas Emulators play with Sound and much more RAM. The second problem is, that i don't know if the compiler detected the for-loop without calculation in the anttest and replaced it with a hold. This for-loop pauses the calculation-loop ... if it wasn't there, you wouldn't see a moving because the calculation-loop would be over at start. So it could be, that the cpu isn't stressed much with the anttest.
Anyhow .. the main reason i put the test's there was for fun :).

@devestation: I didn't find any registers to set the background-brightness ... so i don't have a clue how to do this.

@Paradox: You can get my Quake-Script. Get it here (Rightclick-save)

Personally, I'd rather not have to write a single script for my GP2X from the ground up. If it were up to me, there was a simple utility that let me specify the location of the script and what it would do. Fiddling around with scripts for every other program is not what I want to spend my GP2X time on, to be completely honest. I'm not a tech-idiot, but I'm really that savvy, either, and the less time I can spend making things work at all, the better.

(One of the very reasons I'm getting an iMac.)

EDIT: That being said, I am willing to put up with a lot for certain things like the GP2X. But doing a bunch of scripts is, as of right now, kind of not an option.

LOL God at Hell, I did think those were really aggressive timings, given the defaults!

Maybe that worked because I didn't overclock the CPU at all (I haven't sorted out the scripts yet). Either that or I have L33T ram :)

God at Hell, I appreciate your work, pal. ;)

I loved the old one before I upgraded to 2.0 and now I get owned on overclocks. I just have to break down and do a script for SquidgeSNES now I guess. Until such time as you build an application launcher into the tweaker. :D

As for the speedtest, mine passed 290, but died at the 295 test. Thats impressive, as previously I didn't dare clock past 266 running any emus or it would eventually die, but as was said emus put a lot more strain on the whole system.

Jurrasic posted on Jul 1 2006 at 09:15 PM said:
As for the speedtest, mine passed 290, but died at the 295 test. Thats impressive, as previously I didn't dare clock past 266 running any emus or it would eventually die, but as was said emus put a lot more strain on the whole system.

I get the same result, and have found 275mhz stable in everything. Some emus (DRMD) I can go a bit higher in, not that it's needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a non-techie, I have to say I'm a bit frightened of overclocking. Can't the chip basically burn out or something? Is it not probable that some moron will kill his GP2X by OCing to 400 MHz or something?

Nope, as mentioned before numerous times, you can't fry ARM cores like these by overclocking - they just don't heat up enough. All it can do is crash.

So many pp are talking about oveclocking so easily. Whenever I try to use an emu to overclock past 250, I get lockups, and even at 250 after about 10 minutes sometimes.

I read somewhere that the "2" version of the GP didn't put heatsinks on the CPU's (Why??). Is this a possible reason why all you guys can OC so easily? i.e., you all must have "1" versions of the GP.

Different ARM chips can overclock at different speeds due to minor nuances when manufacturing the chips themselves. Just because someone can run their GP2X stable at 290 MHz, it doesn't mean your unit can do the same. In fact, the chips are only tested at their manufactured speed, which means that theoretically, if you get a chip that runs stable at 333 MHz, even a modest bump to 340 MHz can cause it to crash.

The GP2X (to my knowledge, since I don't own one) does not have a heatsink. The ARM chip doesn't put out enough heat to warrant a heatsink.

And it's true that it's a chip will crash long before you fry anything. Even if you have a 2.0 GHz processor and you try to overclock it to something insane like 4.0 GHz (on air cooling and stock heatsink), the processor will lock up long before it fries itself. For all intents and purposes, given the proper cooling, there is no way to fry a processor by overclocking. The most you can do is lock up the system.

gamefan999 posted on Jul 2 2006 at 02:44 PM said:
So many pp are talking about oveclocking so easily. Whenever I try to use an emu to overclock past 250, I get lockups, and even at 250 after about 10 minutes sometimes.

I read somewhere that the "2" version of the GP didn't put heatsinks on the CPU's (Why??). Is this a possible reason why all you guys can OC so easily? i.e., you all must have "1" versions of the GP.

There never was a heatsink in any gp2x.
Most gp2x run fine at 260 MHz, a lot can go higher, some can't go that high.

You can be lucky or unlucky...

Last edited:
I may be making a daft mistake somewhere, but I just can't seem to be able to get this to work. There's no problem until I press select to set the changes and exit, at which point it exits making no changes whatsoever. When I open the program again it tells me that it's still running at 200Mhz. It can't be a problem with my CPU since overclocking in emulators that let you control the speed work fine, and older releases have worked on this GP2X before now. Are there any daft pitfalls that I should be looking out for? I'm definitely pressing select and not start by the way! :p

The problem is that the GP2X menu resets the clock speed - you need to make a script to run the cpu speed tweaker and then execute the program you want. Kind of messy, but that's how it is right now.

EvilDragon posted on Jul 2 2006 at 11:15 AM said:
gamefan999 posted on Jul 2 2006 at 02:44 PM said:

There never was a heatsink in any gp2x.

But there were thermal transfer pads which had the effect of heatsinking the GP2X's CPU to the back of the LCD display. These were removed on non-first edition units, due to the fact that they caused color distortion on the LCD when the thumbstick was moved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back