Cps2 Emulation Possible On Gp2x?

Robotube

Still Fresh
After seeing the very impressive PSP emulation of CPS2, I began wondering if the GP2X has enough under the hood to handle it as well.

I've read that the Q-Sound component of CPS2 is the biggest hurdle. What about Q-Sound makes it such a challenge in terms of emulation on the GP2X?

Just a question to fulfill curiosity. I am not a developer (not for GP2X, anyway) myself and have total respect for those who have the skill.

Shikaku posted on Aug 16 2006 at 11:00 AM said:

I agree... I say we follow the standard forum response and flame the hell out of the person. Then perhaps post random links to the wiki, google, stickies, and forum search function. Or, we just say, it may happen, it might not, and just get on with life and be happy that he has brought some traffic to the forums.

PS It really is pathetic that a GBA thread can generate 44+ comments, yet most new releases are lucky to get 15.

Last edited by a moderator:
NJ's cps2 emu on the PSP is probably the best emu around at the moment, and with so many great games, a gp2x cps2 emu would be appreciated by any true gamer.

x68000 posted on Aug 16 2006 at 11:14 AM said:
NJ's cps2 emu on the PSP is probably the best emu around at the moment, and with so many great games, a gp2x cps2 emu would be appreciated by any true gamer.

*cracks whip*

Then start coding in ARM assembly boy...

Make a driver for CPS2 completely in assembly. Most of the assembly is already done for you because there is already a fast Motorola 68000 and a fast Z80 driver out, you just gotta do the whole Qsound driver in assembly, and I heard it's quite a bitch..

This has been asked already to death over and over!

reaper79 posted on Aug 16 2006 at 09:08 AM said:
I agree... I say we follow the standard forum response and flame the hell out of the person. Then perhaps post random links to the wiki, google, stickies, and forum search function.

The wiki that's almost impossible to navigate due to its total lack of organization, stickies I don't see even begin to mention CPS2 hardware, and a search function that turns up no recent threads about it? .. this is a justified question and hasn't been asked too many times. It's been asked about too FEW.

CPS2 emulation should be perfectly feasible; ARM9 ASM 68000 and Z80 cores exist as was said, the Yamaha sound hardware I believe has ASM written for it as well in GnGeo2x and the MAME ports for the '2x. Not sure how stressful QSound is, but probably not that bad at all-- perhaps it could be done with C from a PC emulator like Nebula, MAME or RAINE. In fact a more modern MAME port like the one Vobbo's working on could probably tackle CPS2 just fine with the ASM CPU cores, audio driver and ASM graphics handling.

Jarska333 posted on Aug 16 2006 at 01:47 PM said:
Would it be possible to send every new member a PM with current info? I seem to recall, the popup for "You have PM" was hard to miss...

Seriously, that is a great idea.

That's not a bad idea, but I don't believe this board has any means to facilitate doing that automatically, and there are far too many new users everyday to do it manually. I'll put together some sort of 'emulation status and probability' thread and maybe it gets stickied..

Epicenter posted on Aug 16 2006 at 02:57 PM said:
That's not a bad idea, but I don't believe this board has any means to facilitate doing that automatically, and there are far too many new users everyday to do it manually. I'll put together some sort of 'emulation status and probability' thread and maybe it gets stickied..
Epicenter, you know stickied threads don't do anything. Look at the Cool Ideas forum, there are still plentry of threads asking for ports without source code.

Back