Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Please stay safe, y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.
That the ok variant. But that calm and mindful way has long been overgrown by automated high frequency trading, hasn't it.
That was my counterexample to the point you're still trying to make. To spell it out: private/corporate funding is not the only funding that can drive R&D.

I get that is the point you were trying to make, but it is fallacious, there are extremely limited sources of funding outside the gov sector, they are either revenue, loans or common stock. You really cant get around that.

Post automatically merged:

When you think about it, all the biggest technical success we've had in the last 70 years are stuff that came from public subsidies: the Internet, electronics improvements that led to mobile devices, environmentally-friendly (or at least less aggressive) technologies...

Meanwhile, private funding funded Facebook, Apple, Microsoft, Google... And a thousand food-delivery startups.

I agree that concentrating capital is useful to achieve great things, but the way it's currently done (rich people decide what is worthy of funding) is not necessarily the best to begin with and has gone completely off-rails (rich people do automated high-frequency trading that has nothing to do with investing and when they do invest they willingly create bubbles that kill poor people when they blow)

You aren't wrong, but also consider all the medical advances and treatments as well. I personally take medication that didn't even exist 5 years ago.

I also kind of agree that automated trading is a disaster. Just the other day the markets had to halt as a mass sell was triggered.

Anyway. Do invest, don't invest, its your money so do what you want with it and be happy.

Last edited:
I get that is the point you were trying to make, but it is fallacious, there are extremely limited sources of funding outside the gov sector, they are either revenue, loans or common stock. You really cant get around that.
At the end of the year, they should start to raise stock exchange taxes retroactively. Countries would get rid of their debts and high frequency trading would come to a halt.
You aren't wrong, but also consider all the medical advances and treatments as well.
Like advanced AIDS medication, that barely anyone in Africa can afford while they are in need of it the most and the Africans aren't allowed to produce it for themselves.

Yes, that's more a problem with the exploitation of patents. There are big problems in the world economy it's fairly recently been revealed, I believe, in that the exploit of more money isn't always the best way to succeed. I'm just not sure the best way to change that from where we are.

Like advanced AIDS medication, that barely anyone in Africa can afford while they are in need of it the most and the Africans aren't allowed to produce it for themselves.

Couple issues with that:
1. I worked pretty extensively with some African countries, they don't have the infrastructure or technology to produce most complex modern medicines
2. Without capital investment as discussed previously via stocks and loans there wouldn't even be advanced medication
3. Once the patents expire there will be cheap generics
Post automatically merged:

Yes, that's more a problem with the exploitation of patents. There are big problems in the world economy it's fairly recently been revealed, I believe, in that the exploit of more money isn't always the best way to succeed. I'm just not sure the best way to change that from where we are.

IMO patents on medicine should have a shorter timeframe.

There are big problems in the world economy it's fairly recently been revealed, I believe, in that the exploit of more money isn't always the best way to succeed. I'm just not sure the best way to change that from where we are.
From where I stand, the main problems are the misconception, that perpetual growth is an essential need and our system inherently making profits one of the highest virtues.
We should limit, how much a person is allowed to earn per time and how much wealth a person is allowed to accumulate.
I mean, we maybe acknowledge, that it should be a human right to be able to afford a place to live, cloths, hygiene, and healthy food, but fail to see, that there is no benefit in single persons gathering millions and billions. Just imagine for a bit, manager positions wouldn't enable anyone anymore to get uselessly rich...
Couple issues with that:
1. I worked pretty extensively with some African countries, they don't have the infrastructure or technology to produce most complex modern medicines
2. Without capital investment as discussed previously via stocks and loans there wouldn't even be advanced medication
3. Once the patents expire there will be cheap generics
No doubt, that R&D for those the best AIDS medication of today had high costs in terms of time and money. I don't know, how complicated it is to produce, though. And I'm sure, if the Africans were allowed to produce it for themselves, they'd be helped. What coverage could be achieved with donations and voluntary expert help is another question, but I'd think whatever could be pulled off would be good enough to allow them excemption from patent law in this case.
But in actuality, of course, I'm against the concept of IP in law in general.

@EvilDragon

Are you ok?
I hope Germany closes it's borders :(

No whe ditnt closes our Borders yet, , why should whe ?? Lets say there is a French Guy whit Corrona on the other Side of the French/German "Border" and on the other Side is a German Guy, so even if the Borders are closed, the Virus will find its way over the Border..

Corona is not fun, but as long you arend that old, or got some issues bevor, it should be not that dangorous as a Flu, but whe have to save the Old or Sick Peaple from Corona..

Ditnt got any issues yet, and i work lots whit peaple, but maybe its have to come..

Watching The Walking Death Currently, and i think these peaple would be happy whit just corona.. ^^

31jjo8XzY7L._AC_SY400_.jpg

If i remember correctly, in one of the earlyer Episodes of TWD, when they where in this Jail (or how this Building is pronounced where you have big walls to keep the Prisoners in, or in this case the Zombies out ^^), they had a pretty dangourus Virus and lots of the Survivers got Zombies..

So yes, even if you have Zombies, you could also have something like "Corona", this is even worse ^^

@levi

I'm losing a bundle in the short run once markets open. All futures are way down after the travel restrictions.

The only upside: tmobiles merger with Sprint just passed the last hurdle so it *should* go up.. But hey strange times.

Will be buying more in the morning. If society collapses USD won't buy anything anyway.

Riding it to the ground!

I dont understand why they buy that much Toilet Paper, its not like the Corona Virus would close the Whole Infrastruktur, as the Markets are Still open,
And Corona isnt Ebola...
I have my whole Office in my Pockets, including Linux PC, USB Hub and Mouse, so i dont need to bug in,,

I dont understand why they buy that much Toilet Paper, its not like the Corona Virus would close the Whole Infrastruktur, as the Markets are Still open,
And Corona isnt Ebola...
I have my whole Office in my Pockets, including Linux PC, USB Hub and Mouse, so i dont need to bug in,,
They may have confused coronavirus with cholera ;)

Since they canceled the Melbourne Grand Prix, I guess I wont see the F18's fly over my house this year.
Very Very loud , and close
Scares the heck out of our cat

Took this pic the other year from by back yard

1584083711336.png

So the latest update from Sweden doesn't look very good. Public gatherings with more than 500 people have been banned so my part time job is more or less dead in the water (I work with rigging lights and sound at events close to my college). We can still do small events but those don't bring in a lot of money. Being a student driven company we're at least protected from bankruptcy by being protected under the student union, as long as we can keep our office and storage in the student union owned building.

Furthermore, our public health minister Anders Tegnell is continuing to find creative ways of sabotaging our public health office. He has now decided we should stop tracking the number of cases because "it is no longer important". At this point I wish someone would just fire him already, he's becoming far too dangerous dangerous. What we need is cheaper testing kits produced at scale so that we can test everyone who wants to, not the equivalent of a testing shutdown. The tests are now restricted to hospitalized patients and if you think you're infected you're not allowed to visit a hospital until you develop serious symptoms. Hospital personnel is understandably furious.

Our school minister is supposed to announce our plan for schools this evening. She has previously said we shouldn't close our schools because "the cost would be too high" and she was subsequently grilled by the media and online chats. To be fair she also said she would be prepared to shut down schools if requested by other parts of the government, basically pushing the responsibility over to our public health office.

I also went out yesterday to get a few more cables and adapters I was missing, and the streets were eerily empty from cars during what's usually the lunch rush. What used to be a massive traffic jam was now just a handful of cars. It would seem people are already staying at home as the trust of our public health office hits rock bottom.

Sounds as if you then have to expect the passing of laws and other actions, that are thought of as less popular.

Our laws already allow for a lot of control when there's a pandemic. Including the use of military resources to enforce quarantines if the government declares "undantagstillstånd" (Google Translate tells me this translates to either "state of emergency" or "martial", the literal translation is something like "exception permit"). We're not there yet, but our government has the possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back