couple of quick questions from a potential buyer

subrama6

Still Fresh
i'm thinking about getting a gp32, and have been browsing the boards and stuff, and just have a few questions:

1) is there a new version coming up or should i just go ahead and get it now? i thought i read something about a version with 16 megs of ram and a clamshell design called the GPI being released in september, and i basically don't want to shell out and have that come out a few weeks later if it's going to be significantly better... but if the changes are insignificant, i guess i don't really care

2) what's a good place to order it from if you're getting it sent to the US. i know of lik-sang, and they're probably where i'll go as of now, but i'd like to comparative shop a little bit too

3) is it worth getting the frontlit display? i know the faq said that the non-lit version got about 10 hours of battery life and the lit version got 4-6, but i haven't been able to find anything about being able to turn the frontlight off? if anyone has the frontlit version, is there an on-off or dimmer or something?

thanks in advance for your answers

dumb me -- just looked at lik-sang again, and they specifically say there's a button to activate/deactivate the frontlight. sorry about not researching that one enough....

1, I never heard of the GPI till now, but from what I understand it wont be any more powerfull than gp32. It will just have a few more capabilities.

2, I bought mine from gbax.com, non-flu was 150$ and shipping was 30$, I received it in the mail about a week after I ordered.

3, I didnt get a FLU, and I regret it. (gbax didn have any at the time though) but I still like my gp32 alot, only I cant see the screen in the dark.

the GPi is supposedly NOT going to be released, and those pics were just a test model. I wish a new one was coming out soon though, not that I am not happy with the 32 or nothin. ;)

You should buy it from Play-Asia or GBAX. I think you would be better off buying from GBAX. But if you want to buy Her Knights, which I think you should, you should buy from Entware because they sell the english version. You should definetly buy the FLU. I can't imagine having the gp32 without it.

zboy9 posted on Aug 18 2003 said:
the GPi is supposedly NOT going to be released, and those pics were just a test model. I wish a new one was coming out soon though, not that I am not happy with the 32 or nothin. ;)
I can't find anything about a freez of the project :( I gues it's still coming :)

Last edited by a moderator:
tomjack264 posted on Aug 18 2003 said:
ALSO WHATS THE MP3 PLAYER LIKE IS THERE A BITRATE YOU HAVE TO USE OR ENCODING FOR THE GP32
You can use most mp3s that have bitrates of 128k and up. I get the occasional dud...theres a new mp3 player being tested that supports lower bitrates, the beta I tried worked really well.

the big problem with mp3s on the gp32 is that.....

YOU CAN ONLY PLAY MP3S THAT HAVE ALL CAPITALS IN THE TITLE.

:p

man, that GPI looks AWFUL!!! It isn't any more powerful than the gp32 but has additional features such as internet browsing etc..

It just looks like it's a gp32 thats been integrated with a mobile phone, and anyway they use CDMA instead of GSM in South Korea so I would imagine it would be a CDMA phone (so no use in Europe then!)

GPI is a TEST model...... so far
It was supposed to be released last year...but never came about.
Although the GPI is not frozen in production,
there is no REAL date of release at all.....again....about a year ans a half ago...the GPI was strictly just a prototype test subject...thats it.

TJFBryant posted on Aug 18 2003 said:
GPI is a TEST model...... so far
It was supposed to be released last year...but never came about.
Although the GPI is not frozen in production,
there is no REAL date of release at all.....again....about a year ans a half ago...the GPI was strictly just a prototype test subject...thats it.
LOL i was thinking about a setmeber 03' release date :) Instead of a september 02' release date

so i've seen gbax and play-asia. so far play-asia seems to have an flu for the cheapest. anybody have any experiences (good or bad) with other places? seems like a lot of people i've heard of from the US order from lik-sang, but they're a bit more expensive, and i don't know that much about them

r0lf posted on Aug 18 2003 said:
tomjack264 posted on Aug 18 2003 said:
ALSO WHATS THE MP3 PLAYER LIKE IS THERE A BITRATE YOU HAVE TO USE OR ENCODING FOR THE GP32
You can use most mp3s that have bitrates of 128k and up. I get the occasional dud...theres a new mp3 player being tested that supports lower bitrates, the beta I tried worked really well.

the big problem with mp3s on the gp32 is that.....
YOU CAN ONLY PLAY MP3S THAT HAVE ALL CAPITALS IN THE TITLE.
I have tried MP3s with bitrates as low as 80k or as high as 192k and it works fine. It also has support for MP3 ID tags so your music will show up in its full name on the screen. But im gonna buy an MP3 discman soon, im trying to find one with OGG support.

I used play-asia cause they had a bank account in australia but i woudl of got it from gbax.com to support the community if i could.

It's up to you least if something goes wrong u can complain to craig right on these boards :lol: :lol: :lol:

But my gp32 from play asia is kinda broken carnt push uppr right corner and its a pain on games when i wanna jump right i only jump up <_<

But its to late to get it replaced oh well.

Still its your choice if u got the extra money get it from gbax ;) least then your support DOOM ^_^

:ph34r:

Back