couple of q's

mmr

Still Fresh
1 Anyone know what is the weight of the device or would craig venture at least a guess, is it safe to assume 250g or less?
2 Seeing as skype is on the maemo/arm platform is it safe to assume it is easy to port or has skype closed it to only work on the nokia?
3 Are most linux programs able to run on pandora as they are or do they need some recompilation, if so which ones?

Many thanks

2. skype will not be available.
3. they need to be compiled for the ARM processor. all of them.

i thought there was an ARM version of skype....i remember reading about it awhile back.....

hrm...oh well.

and the weight question? also why would skype's arm version not work just curious here

mmr said:
1 Anyone know what is the weight of the device or would craig venture at least a guess, is it safe to assume 250g or less?

pandora is about the size of the original DS and the DS is weighed at 275. considering the orginal DS is pretty loosely packed console (with diagonal case edgings), pandora probably weighs more than that.

Kyosys said:
there is, but not for the pandora

It's still possible someone could get it working.

/remembers installing binary blob wifi drivers on router running LFS

Possible, but probably not easy or practical.

I thought skype was a closed protocol? I remember that the discussion went skype no, voip yes.

Kyosys said:
The pandora also has a pretty big screen...
Your right kyo, the Pandora has a pretty screen, and it is quite big. Looked sweet in notaz's video.

I'm fairly sure weight has never been quoted, but then there hasn't been a final version produced. I don't think there has been a final production case produced yet either. They have said several times that the case is packed with stuff so I think it's going to weigh a bit more than a DS.

The battery is quite big as well, I think it might actually be moderately heavy. Nothing unbearable, though

Considering how densely packed everything is in the Pandora, and the (comparitively) huge battery, expect it to be 30%-50% heavier than the DS. An exact weight measurement is not possible yet, since we don't have the final case, keyboard, or a few other bits yet.

Shikaku said:
VNC client.

1. Connect to a computer at home over a connection (Wifi, however else you want)
2. run X program on your connected computer (which could be skype)
3. use the built in mic and keyboard inputs
4. enjoy?
I think the point miiiiiiiiiiiiiiight be having skype on the go

This was a while back, so I don't remember exactly, but I believe that the battery was quoted as ~140g all by itself.

Back