Differences To N7xx/n8xx

conso

Seeing the basic structure of those devices, how hard would it be, to get software for the nokia-handhelds to run on the pandora?
There is quite a bunch of software for those, that would be just awesome on the pandora.

Might it actually be possible to run some closed source binarys on the pandy, once the basic maemo platform is ported? Esp. the skype and flash-blobs might be very interesting. Seeing the flash-binarys for x86 actually run on every x86 platform, why shouldn't the n8xx flash-binary work just as well on pandora?

Quite easy.

Binary compatibility with maemo is possible, but not guaranteed. Skype and flash may still work, at worst inside a chroot, but neither would be distributable. ARM cpus are not as backwards compatible as x86, and for good reason.

sindbad said:
Quite easy.

Binary compatibility with maemo is possible, but not guaranteed. Skype and flash may still work, at worst inside a chroot, but neither would be distributable. ARM cpus are not as backwards compatible as x86, and for good reason.
thanks for the answer. so we can only wait and see.

I was just confused, since some people here in the forums talk like flash and skype would never run on the pandora. At least for those, that have a n8xx, it might be possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
conso said:
I was just confused, since some people here in the forums talk like flash and skype would never run on the pandora. At least for those, that have a n8xx, it might be possible.
It's not that it's impossible - just that it's likely to be hard to convince the developers to spend time and money making official ports for non-mainstream platforms.

I'm sure people will hack together a flash player (or at the very least something that can play the embedded flv's, the way the iphone does), and a skype client, but neither will be official, and both will suffer from incompatibilities, since they coders will have to reengineer them from scratch (or existing 3rd party ports)

benjymous said:
conso said:
It's not that it's impossible - just that it's likely to be hard to convince the developers to spend time and money making official ports for non-mainstream platforms.

I'm sure people will hack together a flash player (or at the very least something that can play the embedded flv's, the way the iphone does), and a skype client, but neither will be official, and both will suffer from incompatibilities, since they coders will have to reengineer them from scratch (or existing 3rd party ports)

I didn't suppose it to be official ports. It's about the binarys for nokias handhelds, that run on a very similar platform to the pandora.
Sure, if the binary flash-player for n8xx doesn't run, swfdec will be a good alternative for at least youtube and some other sides, but running the actual flash-player has some advantages.

About making a skype-client: That's very unlikely, since the skype protocol and encryption are very close. Maybe they can be tunneled from a desktop-pc, but that won't give a very good result. So we can only hope the n8xx version of skype will run or just don't use skype. -
I actually don't use skype at all, very much prefer wengophone and since flashplayer runs extremely bad on my desktop, I use http-ripper to download the .flvs and watch them through mplayer.

Back