Could Using A 4gb Micro Sdhc Card Work On A 2x Via An Sd Adapter?

Ok, so the topic title is a bit of a mouthful, but does it makes sense?

Basically I found a cheap SD card online for 4GB, but it was micro SD. However it came with an SD adapter, so I figured if I bought it I could use it for me 2X.

However, it's arrived today and it's flippin' SD HC! My firmware is 3.0 and I'm loath to start meddling with it.

If I open it I will invalidate the warranty, but I wonder if the card would work, despite being SDHC, via an adapter.

Really the adapter is just a conduit so I shouldn't think it would work and I need to send it back. What do you think?

Cheers.

I don't remember the version SDHC support was included (4.x perhaps?) so the easiest thing to do is put a few files on the card via a card reader and see if the gp2x can read them.

There is an alternative however, I think Notaz did a kernel for SDHC support or something like that. It does mean a reflash, but not in the way of a full gph one, so you should be safe if you have fresh batteries and are sensible.

Officially speaking, *ALL* 4GB and over cards will be SDHC, but there are some people hacking the specification so they get close to it with standard SD cards. Those ones are becoming rarer now however with an official standard out.

Just an additional note if it wasn't obvious, microSD cards in SD converters work just fine as full sized SD(HC) cards.

I'm using an 8Gb micro-sd with an adapter in my F200, running firmware 4.0. But most people with an F100 advise to install firmware 2.0 with the sdhc-hacked kernel by Notaz, mentioned earlier in this thread. Then you will have the best firmware for your gp2x with support for sdhc cards.

InsertFaveGameNameHere said:
Ok, so the topic title is a bit of a mouthful, but does it makes sense?

Basically I found a cheap SD card online for 4GB, but it was micro SD. However it came with an SD adapter, so I figured if I bought it I could use it for me 2X.

However, it's arrived today and it's flippin' SD HC! My firmware is 3.0 and I'm loath to start meddling with it.

If I open it I will invalidate the warranty, but I wonder if the card would work, despite being SDHC, via an adapter.

Really the adapter is just a conduit so I shouldn't think it would work and I need to send it back. What do you think?

Cheers.
Last week I bought a 4gb sdhc card at Staples for about $14. It wouldn't work on my gp2x fw 3 and I didn't want to "upgrade" to version 4, so I downloaded a patch that seems to work fine. The only thing is, is the fw is still 3.0, but it boots with a green screen that says 2.something, but it doesn't appear to make any difference. All software still works fine and it lets me use the 4gb card.

Squirrel61 said:
I'm using an 8Gb micro-sd with an adapter in my F200, running firmware 4.0. But most people with an F100 advise to install firmware 2.0 with the sdhc-hacked kernel by Notaz, mentioned earlier in this thread. Then you will have the best firmware for your gp2x with support for sdhc cards.
Downgrading the whole firmware from 3.x to 2.x is very dangerous and bricks quite a few units. You can install the patch on the 3.x firmware. But if I were him, I would NOT install 2.x over 3.x as it has bricked many units.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Orkie's nand cleaner seems to solve almost all problems in downgrading from 3.x to 2.0. The procedure is simple: put nand cleaner on an otherwise empty sd-card, start with start+select pressed and let nand cleaner finish. Then put 2.0 firmware on the card after removing everything else and start the firmware update.

I've tried it on my f200, downgrading from 4.1.1 back to 4.0.0 (sad that the f200 doesn't support 2.0 firmware) and it works like a charm.

I've found a card on another site that is supposedly SD, as opposed to SDHC. I was under the impression that a precious few 4GB cards were SD and not SDHC. I'm just so loath to start P*ssing about with my firmware...

Back