Could 6th gen emulation be possible if hardware acceleration gets fixed?

Maratus

Still Fresh
OMAP 5 seems to be a pretty fast SOC, easily surpassing the 3DS and Vita and maybe the Shield, but if all the hardware in it could be used and the GPU/2d accelerator used for rasterisation could it run 6th generation games at 60fps? I know Dolphin has an ARM port, but I'm not sure about PS2/Xbox emulators.

Yes.  We've already seen Dreamcast emulation running on the hardware (albeit on a very hacky OS) at a good framerate, and some consider that part of the 6th gen.  As for the mainstream 6th gen - Cube/PS2/xbox, I'm hopeful, but on the Pandora we can run most 5th gen systems at acceptable framerates, except for the Saturn.  And looking back further, even the 3d0 doesn't run that well on a Pandora.  So it's very hard to say which systems will run well on the Pyra.

I am not familiar enough with what the problems are with emus for the consoles you listed are, but at present it seems unlikely.  Many of us want PS2 and GC, so it may happen, however performance may not be that great.  Anything could happen*, though.  

I was under the impression that the Shield would outperform the Pyra.  The Shield is also actively cooled, so even if specs were similar it should be able to be pushed harder, but I don't know.

*In case anyone wants to call me on this, I am just saying I have been amazed at some of what we have on the Pandora, and I understand some things are impossible.

Yes.  We've already seen Dreamcast emulation running on the hardware (albeit on a very hacky OS) at a good framerate, and some consider that part of the 6th gen.  As for the mainstream 6th gen - Cube/PS2/xbox, I'm hopeful, but on the Pandora we can run most 5th gen systems at acceptable framerates, except for the Saturn.  And looking back further, even the 3d0 doesn't run that well on a Pandora.  So it's very hard to say which systems will run well on the Pyra.

3DO could run full speed on the Pandora if the emulation was a little more optimized for ARM.

Dolphin also need Opengl Desktop 4.x for some effects  Emulation ps2 / xbox is off by Pyra require OpenGL 3.x / Vulkan in the future.ports About Dreamcast you need OpenGL 3.x for these precise Z-Buffer effectsPyra can run the Dreamcast good performance but not by as accurate emulation how GPU PowerVR 2 works.

Dolphin also need Opengl Desktop 4.x for some effects  Emulation ps2 / xbox is off by Pyra require OpenGL 3.x / Vulkan in the future.ports About Dreamcast you need OpenGL 3.x for these precise Z-Buffer effectsPyra can run the Dreamcast good performance but not by as accurate emulation how GPU PowerVR 2 works.

Does that mean that in Reicast there will be some effect that will miss? Some games couldn't be terminated, like Sonic Adventure 2 needs some shaders to go through a Boss (King Boom Boo).

Yes The main problem  Dreamcast Powervr2 have depth buffer Z-buffer with 32bit floating point precision  
I do not understand a GPU advanced for its time and was slow to be implemented on other chips..

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, imo fixing hardware emulating for 3DS and Vita is a bit impossible since there is nobody working on it (even citra seems dead)

3DS emulation is unlikely to happen in the short term even is not dead but the big problem is  GPU Pica200 is not documented closed and exclusive hardware..also need to have deciphered 3DS games because it is unknown how they work.

For Vita same problem here is not documented  the only emu is RPCS3 https://github.com/RPCS3/rpcs3/tree/master/rpcs3/Emu/ARMv7 only emulate basic operation hello world and not advanced to much

I'm not sure how well OMAP5 compares to the Tegra K1, but here's the Tegra K1 running Dolphin just fine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTPVWqfcXlc

The Dolphin team seems to have taken an interest to ARM.

It runs well in this particular test, which is not especially demanding. Think about what the game is doing here vs what it's doing in a normal race. There's only one kart to animate, there's no AI, and the track isn't that complex. Incidentally, these things also make it hard to tell if it actually is running full speed, especially when if it's running with the old-style HLE audio emulation which runs the music at the right speed regardless.

Let's just say that there's a reason why this is the sort of thing that gets showcased.

This video are old age compared than actual state i think they made the leap to ARMv8 forgetting about to ARMv7 back by limitations
super mario sunshine delfino plaza are bit demanding running 22-30fps Armv8 JIT limitation now and not GPU emulation. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AlUCD-BmDs

So unless otherwise forward in these consoles it is in ARMv8 and not in ARMv7.correct me if I'm wrong

It's not that there are technical limitations in using AArch32, AArch64 just enables somewhat better performance. It's more that the Dolphin developers prefer to support less runtime targets in their code base. They dropped 32-bit x86 and older DirectX as well, for this reason. In the ARM case it's worse in that there are fewer Dolphin devs working on it.

It says a lot that they think it's worth sacrificing a lot of compatibility for this performance improvement. It goes to show that they think it needs everything they can give it and are probably thinking more about future devices.

But the OpenGL version requirements have to do with real technical limitations and not just performance.

I just want to see how can Pyra can handle with Saturn. Pandora actually do very well (jose manuel).

Aww. That should be the bad thing about a retro gaming forum :)  (don't get this serious)

Back