Cost Of Gp32

mrpig

Still Fresh
Hi,

Ive been following the gp32 scene for over a year and would love to have one. It would have to be a BLU due to the better screen and I dont read about as many problems them.

The thing is I cant justify ~£145 inc postage for one as thats a lot of money. Other option is to get one from Liksang which is £95 plus postage however what are the chances of customs whacking £25 on or something and would I still have to pay VAT on top of that £95 or only if customs have a sniff? Then I wouldnt be guarenteed that it could 166mhz either.

I would get a cheap 2nd hand gb sp and a flash cart as that does pc engine stuff now which I want but then it wont do mp3s and movies (without another cart) and so on. Or its wait for a PSP but im sure that will be more expensive and if its not open source it wont interest me unless you can copy your own films onto memory sticks.

So any idea if the BLU price will drop in the future? It has been out a while now

cheers

Darren

Look at it this way, buy the Gp32 and a 128 smc and then that's it. No need to pay for software as 99% of it is free.On the GBA, the pc engine emu is nowhere as good as the gp32s due to the lack of CPU power.

You can try ebay for cheaper pricies though.

mrpig posted on Dec 1 2004 at 04:20 PM said:
So any idea if the BLU price will drop in the future? It has been out a while now

cheers

Darren

very unlikely

i don't foresee there being that many gp32s made, the european launch seems to have come and gone without anything really happening there doesn't seems to be much of a demand for the gp32.

i think the gp32 (especially the BLU) will hold its current price for a fair amount of time. I'd also recommend checking out ebay and the market place here. How much would you be willing to pay as i could offer you my FLU?

Last edited by a moderator:
The price will remain the same because the demand for the GP32 has remained constant. If the demand drops then so will the price. You can wait for something similar to come out to compete but thats doubtful to happen so don't plan on any price dropping at this time.

It's not a mass marketed product so I doubt that the price will drop any time soon. My only guess would be the price would drop if and I say if GamePark released an updated GP32 console.

You could always buy one cheaper second hand but as yauster said once you've bought it the only additional expense is the SMC cards and they are pretty cheap now and it's amazing how many games you can fit on one 128mb card. As you're in the UK if you order from GBAX.com you would get the SMC card reader included with the BLU so no need to shell out for one of those either.

It is a lot of money but if you can afford it I think it's well worth it. Emulated games play much more naturally on the handheld console than on a pc emulator in my opinion and the homebrew scene is interesting. Reminds me of the old days. *Whips out the walking stick* ;)

Well, Lik Sang is offering a bundle pack, RF-unit and a game, for the same prize as your regular GP32Blu before... More bang for the pound, as they say.

thanks spray but if i splash out it will be on a blu I think. Ebay is an option but they seem to hold their value still and again dont know how far they overclock. Saying that we build circuit boards etc here so I could get someone to solder on the resistors or whatever it is in order to overclock higher as I read a thread before about how to do it so maybe a liksang one is the answer. Depends on customs though, anyone orderered from them and know the real price to the uk after shipping and taxes etc?

cheers

The GP32 may be a bit pricey, but you won't have to buy games for it! Look at this way, you pay upto £30 for a DS or GBA game which you might hate and then sell on. With the GP32, if you don't like a game you've just downloaded, you just erase it from your SMC. Buy one now! gp32_console :D

the pc-engine emu for gba ownz and support cd-rom support, but basically gp32 is my personally better choice anyway ;)

mrpig, you can always request LikSang to reduce the customs declaration value of your item, and *most* times they will do it for you, so it will slip under their radar.

so there would be no tax then? Although searching through here I found a thread about people have trouble with their gp32s and liksang not taking them back even though they were only 2 months old. I think I will just get one from gbax if/when I do to avoid future hassle. Time to go play super starsoldier on the pc via magicengine to inspire me to spend money

I'm not in the UK but in the Netherlands... but...
I ordered 2 GPs from liksang (seperately) and both came out to cost me 150 euros, the customs never looked at them, and liksang stated the real value on both packages (I didn't ask them to lower it). My own GP does about 160 mhz and my friend's (the other one I ordered) 166, and from a poll that was done a little while ago it seems we're on the lower end of the spectrum of speeds for unmodded BLUs.
So as far as my experience goes, if you don't have a lot of cash to spend on it, I'd take the chance and go with liksang, especially if you can do the voltmod yourself If you do have the cash and want security and guaranteed great service, go with GBAX.

Back