Corrupted Folder - Can't Delete - What To Do?

Astropath

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I'd be glad if someone recommended a solution to my problem:

Recently I installed Rise of Triad conversion. To play the original game, you need to put original game files into "rott" folder inside conversion folder.

But for some unknown reason, the convertor software installed on my SD card with filename of gamefiles folder being ".rott" instead of "rott".
This bloody dot before folder name, I beleive, is what making this folder corrupt.

I cannot place anything in this folder, cannot rename it, cannot delete it - the Windows 2000 says "Access error - file unreadable or corrupted".
Firmware explorer doesn't say anything, but when I attempt to delete the ".rott" directory it just doesnt do it - the directory doesnt disappear after delete command.

I had something like this once on PC. What I did - I went to DOS mode in Windows, and in DOS mode used "del" command. However, it doesnt seem to work now - DOS also gives out "file corrupted" error.

So the question is - how do I delete this bloody directory? I really don't want to format the SD card, if there's any solution to that problem, other than formatting.

Thanks in advance!

I suggest that you recover any files you can to your pc and then format the SD.
You could also try starting Windows in safe mode and it should be more relexed about what it lets you delete.
As to why the .rott would be corrupting your card, I'm not too sure since a "." simply means a hidden folder (in linux). It shouldn't bother other OSs and the GP2X can see these hidden folders anyhow.

Affirmative here. I managed to look inside the .rott folder (using firmware Explorer), and it's full of files with corrupted filenames - filenames look like lots of broken pixels instead of letters. wtf, I wonder?

P.S. Windows 2000 refuses to open this folder - probably because of all these corrupted files inside...

Astropath posted on May 18 2006 at 10:24 AM said:
Affirmative here. I managed to look inside the .rott folder (using firmware Explorer), and it's full of files with corrupted filenames - filenames look like lots of broken pixels instead of letters. wtf, I wonder?

P.S. Windows 2000 refuses to open this folder - probably because of all these corrupted files inside...

use ure sd card reader (will be faster) or use the gp2x usb thingie. Goto my computer right click the drive and goto properties then extra. and use the tool to scan for errors on the disk it has no name but it's the first tool. well actually it's scandisk but it's not mentioned. select both checkboxes in the program and let it scan your drive it will fix a bad filesystem. by fixing i mean remove the corrupt references to files etc. it will probably create a found.xxx folder on ure sd card with the lost files.
afterwards u should be able to delete the folder and use ure sd card again

Last edited by a moderator:
Back