Cool Idea For Bob Dock.

Looking good Telcolou - shame you nabbed the last BOB on the planet so i can't have a go to ;)

Yeah good work TelcoLou. :D I can't believe you managed to persevere with that lego program! Last time I tried it was painful to say the least... :)

Thanks for the replies folks :)

I read that using ABS plastic pipe cement is a good glue to make the model stay stuck together, permanent-like :)

... and yeah, the Design Software is clumsy, but I got used to it quickly enough .. I especially like the Instruction Manual creation feature; it's pretty impressive and helps me keep track of the parts I'm using.

I'm hoping to have my final design finished by Monday, and have the parts available by the time the BOB arrives. :D

Umm...Ok I looked everywhere on there site and found nothing. :( Can someone give me a direct link to the download? Sorry...

TelcoLou said:
Shifty said:
Umm...Ok I looked everywhere on there site and found nothing. :( Can someone give me a direct link to the download? Sorry...
Goddamn, here you go you lazy turd

Ok, thanks. That was a fast response :)

PS: How did you know what inches it should be and everything? Or did you just start building? How me s'posed to know if my B.O.B will fit in it? D:

Last edited by a moderator:
That is pretty cool TelcoLou!
Using that designer on my work machine was a little painful, but having a bash at it myself at home.

Going to share the Lego project file with us? ;-)
Might have to order up some parts myself!

Does the site tell you how much the Lego parts are going to cost as yet?

BenScar said:
That is pretty cool TelcoLou!
Using that designer on my work machine was a little painful, but having a bash at it myself at home.

Going to share the Lego project file with us? ;-)
Might have to order up some parts myself!

Does the site tell you how much the Lego parts are going to cost as yet?
When I'm done with the design, I'll upload the HTML instructions, generated by the LDD software. Note: Some of the steps are reeeeeealy redundant, but it gives you an accurate parts description and inventory, etc.

The laptop I'm using does not have an internet connection, so I'm just ordering the parts individually from their website. The cost is not too bad, each brick is like $0.07 or less ...

@Shifty ... the dimensions of the BOB itself is 8.4cm x 9.9cm, cable length is 20cm (this info is at PlayAsia's website) I then measured a standard 1x6 brick I had laying around and figured out the openings I'd need (for the USB ports, video out, etc), then I just built around those dimensions.

For the cradle/docking part I just held a few pieces up against my GP2X, and took measurements.

... I'm basically finished now, and will upload my final design in a couple of days or so, along with the HTML file ... I'd like to see the same from a few of you lazy bastards as well ;)

Let's show GPH's lazy asses what we're made of! :p

TelcoLou said:
The cost is not too bad, each brick is like $0.07 or less ...
Typical - UK customers get shafted again - if you live in the UK the price of each brick from lego.com increases :angry: . As an example 10 2X4 black bricks cost $1.50 if you live in the US - change your country to UK and it then goes up to £1.11 (about $2.20) works out quite a big difference if you have to buy a lot of bricks. Think I'll keep my eye on ebay.

@TelcoLou roughly how many bricks will your dock need to give me a rough idea of cost.

Telco, could you post a bunch of photos of the bob from each side, so I can see what goes where...

Found this on Sourceforge & I'm posting the link in case it's useful to anyone..

"LDraw is an open standard for LEGO CAD programs that allow the user to create virtual LEGO models and scenes. You can use it to document models you have physically built, create building instructions just like LEGO, render 3D photo realistic images of your virtual models and even make animations."

Might be easier than trying to use the official program :)

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Found this on Sourceforge & I'm posting the link in case it's useful to anyone..

"LDraw is an open standard for LEGO CAD programs that allow the user to create virtual LEGO models and scenes.
OOoo, it's open source?
Any chance of a port to the 2x? (He asks jokingly!!)

TelcoLou said:
When I'm done with the design, I'll upload the HTML instructions, generated by the LDD software. Note: Some of the steps are reeeeeealy redundant, but it gives you an accurate parts description and inventory, etc.

The laptop I'm using does not have an internet connection, so I'm just ordering the parts individually from their website. The cost is not too bad, each brick is like $0.07 or less ...
Any chance of the actual Lego Digital Designer project file?
Even with no Internet connection, there's still USB pens and floppy disks ;)
Look forward to seeing the manual when you get a chance. Thanks for the effort you're putting into this.

My one is coming along, although it's more for my own PCB than the Developer BOB.

Ugh. I hate measuring. Can't someone send me a good file that my bob will fit in? :( And I'll just order my parts myself? D:

Well folks, here's what I came up with after several hours of futzing around, and several revisions later:

I ordered the parts, which came to USD $32.40, after tax & shipping, $42.10.

NOTE: I ordered extra 1x1 black plate parts, 12 to be exact. The hight of the platform where the dock is may have to be adjusted a bit higher, since I don't have the BOB in hand to be sure.

Here's a link to the HTML instructions generated by the LDD software, as well as the model file, and the reference image:

(MegaUpload Link)

:D

TelcoLou said:
Well folks, here's what I came up with after several hours of futzing around, and several revisions later:
That is awesome, although I realized too late that Lego's are a scam, I can get a whole actual car for less than some of their technics "car models".

After a certian point (10+ hours a day) they also stifle creativity, unless of course you have a drill, glue gun, and bin full of old R/C cars ;).

TelcoLou said:
I ordered the parts, which came to USD $32.40, after tax & shipping, $42.10.
:D

Looks cool :)

Just checked, you paid about £21.19 for it all taxed and shipped (and the extra blocks I take it)..
Though the LLD costing, it'll cost me £23.83, without shipping or anything else!

Oh well... Time to play with a few other designs.

Mind if I nick a few design ideas? :)

TelcoLou said:
AMAZING!! :D

So where does it tell me to order the parts? Thanks for sharing, man!

*Unscrews acrylic* :D

Back