Commercial Bob + Hard Drive

krosfyah

Syntax Error
Website
Visit site
Has this been suggested before? Does anyone think it would be a great idea if the commercial BOB had space and connectors inside for adding a laptop drive?

I've just been staring at my 60GB USB Databank thingy hooked up to my GP2x and the thought occured to me that it would be bloody cool if it was actually a dockable BOB aswell.

I'm well aware that with this being such an awesome idea that it is very unlikely GPH would ever think to implement it, but would people be interested in such a device?

subcon959 posted on Feb 2 2007 at 01:05 PM said:
Has this been suggested before? Does anyone think it would be a great idea if the commercial BOB had space and connectors inside for adding a laptop drive?

I've just been staring at my 60GB USB Databank thingy hooked up to my GP2x and the thought occured to me that it would be bloody cool if it was actually a dockable BOB aswell.

I'm well aware that with this being such an awesome idea that it is very unlikely GPH would ever think to implement it, but would people be interested in such a device?

This certainly was my plan to have a portable (tv based) media player.

I think it is good enough just to plug the external HDD in and leave it loosely plonked next to it.

Certainly the main attraction of the BoB in my opinion, followed by games with a control pad, followed by DDR. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
subcon959 posted on Feb 1 2007 at 06:05 PM said:

I like it, but here is a twist, why not just add the Bob functionality to a USB drive? put a "dock" on top, run the wires inside, instant Bob, install some A/V plugs on one end and you are done.

I found and purchased some USB termination chips for $0.70 each, they are 1.5mm across, I have a couple ideas how to solder them onto a useful circuit board, but the package of two could get lost on a dime, so I haven't opened it yet.

I know you have all seen the super-slim USB hubs, just get one and slap it on behind the dock thingy on the top of the drive, that would be a sweet looking 2.5" portable dock for sure.

Just before you ask, no I don't intend anyone to put Jtag in or use it with a 2.5" HDD/Dock (Maybe a 3.5" case, with included battery pack and a 2.5" HDD inside. :) ), but Serial would be completely within reason because all it needs is 4 lines and my Samsung E810 cable mod, it could be a little jumper/connector next to the slim USB hub.

Hey, how about a dock on a double-sided sticky tape that you can attach to anything? I mean really slim, under 1cm from the bottom of the GP2X to whatever you stuck it to. I was playing with a heat gun and some plastic today at work and thinking about vacuum formed plastic products, if we made a simple cradling shape that would accept and hold an EXT connector it would be a cinch to do this.

It would just be TV-Out and USB host dongle out the back and maybe Serial and a real Jtag header on some pins under a cover. Then the modders could slap it on any old USB thingy, or just use it as a console stand with a gamepad and a TV. USB hubs could then be purchased and added by the end users.

I really like that Idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
They could sell the dock without a hard drive to keep costs down and for those that didnt need it. The rest of us could just plonk in an existing drive and be on our merry way.

I'm picturing a sleek sexy device with an internal 80gig drive. The GP2x sat on top and a mini keyboard infront. Mmm.

Back