convince me

If the hinge is too loose for your taste, just add some friction yourself in whatever way you can come up with (a bit of rubber between the hinge should do the trick)
Just to add to this, a *very* thin layer of Sugru would probably work for this.

I need a tri-wing screwdriver so I can tear apart my old and busted DS, get ahold of the hinge, and see how compatible it is with the Pandora's. Maybe then people will stop complaining about the hinge opening to full.

For anyone else thinking of doing a hinge mod you might not need a busted DS. Deal Extreme to the rescue.

On the subject of the hinge, it is sub optimal at best but by no means a deal breaker IMHO. Hand held gaming is fine at 180deg it's just on the rare occasions that you want to use the Pandora as a mini desktop (audio, video playback) that the loose hinge lets it down.

@Trist 06 as for convincing you to buy one : If you like the idea of a hand held retro gaming mini computer then buy a Pandora, there is nothing better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I must admit to having had some concerns about the 180 degree angle as on the DS i always used it at the shallower angle. However had my Pandora for about 3 months now and it is fine. My hinge isnt that tight but you can prop it open to watch a video and 180 degrees for games and web browsing is actually much better than I thought and I probably prefer this angle now.

On the subject of the hinge, it is sub optimal at best but by no means a deal breaker IMHO. Hand held gaming is fine at 180deg it's just on the rare occasions that you want to use the Pandora as a mini desktop (audio, video playback) that the loose hinge lets it down.
For audio and video usage on a desk or a table, I find that this works quite well. It's a Hori Play Stand for the DS and DS Lite, and it has a (really neat and clicky) multi-angle hinge at its base.

ive been playing around with my old fat DS at 180 and it is fine to my liking, also ive heard people say that the pandoras hinge is actually stiffer then the fat DS when not locked, well then, I guess im convinced.

ive been playing around with my old fat DS at 180 and it is fine to my liking, also ive heard people say that the pandoras hinge is actually stiffer then the fat DS when not locked, well then, I guess im convinced.
Mine certainly is a lot stiffer, although if you're into using your stylus a lot it could get a little annoying if you keep pressing the screen back. That said, I've never experienced any other movement in a semi-open pandora screen that I did not intend or otherwise do myself.

Now, you see? I look at that stuff and I want to get hold of some of it, hack up some old connectors and have a go at building my own video out cable. ;)

(sorry to go off topic btw)

ZCRH0.jpg

s9ZQs.png

Now, you see? I look at that stuff and I want to get hold of some of it, hack up some old connectors and have a go at building my own video out cable. ;)

(sorry to go off topic btw)
Haha, sorry about that. :p

I just received my first packet of it today and fixed up my headphone cable, which had popped out of the strain-relief portion (but was otherwise working fine). It seems to work really well for that.

[/off-topic]

Back