convince me

Trist06

Still Fresh
Hi guys,

Ive been lurking for quite a while now, I can even remember liking the pandora a few years ago then completely forgot about it until now, anyway.

I am very close to ordering one but there is still just one thing standing in my way, The screen hinge, ive scoured the internet watching and reading reviews and the hinge just seems annoying, only locking at 180 and flapping around in the wind when its not locked. Im sure it just a case of things looking different on camera then they do in real life but its just niggling at me.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Edit: changed trolling to lurking

Last edited by a moderator:
I read of a fix where somebody glued a piece of rubber to the hinge, permanently stopping rotation at a certain angle. Of course, that means you can never go to 180 degrees, but that doesn't seem especially useful in most situations...

An idea like that had crossed my mine but am I just worrying about this too much, would I really need to do something about it? Do you have a pandora and if so does the screen annoy you?

My screen locks at 180˚ but it doesn't flap in the wind when not at 180˚, it stays in place unless you rough it up.

ahk, so are you comfortable playing at 180 or do you just happily play at a non locking angle?

While it is true that the hinge doesnt lock at more than 2 positions, i never had any trouble with it.

Im playing games at a 120 degree angle most of the time and never had trouble with the hinge.

Every unit varies and I'm on my third and best of the three which is a flawless unit of very high build quality, though I was very happy with the prior ones aswell. All 3 have had good hinges which work fine and stay put at any angle. I also find gaming at 180 is actually more comfortable than using a DSlite

Don't let the fact I've had 3 put you off, as the prior ones were from the first 100 and so it was a given possible that the LCD cable would give out (as they had yet to find a tool for properly rolling it and new ones now will have the MKII redesigned cables) and 1st batch nubs, which will or wont give way, mine did hence the RMA's).

I don't have a problem with the screen staying at whatever angle I move it to. The hinges on mine are firm enough to hold it in place, even though there is no actual lock position.

I know some have complained about this, but it not something that I have experienced on mine. (FYI, I purchased mine as a premium in March, just in case any production changes have had any impact on things)

so you're wanting to be convinced, yet the thing that bothers you most is the angle of the screen?

obviously such a massive problem the pandora will never be right for you

I don't have a problem with the screen staying at whatever angle I move it to. The hinges on mine are firm enough to hold it in place, even though there is no actual lock position.

Same for my Pandora, although I find playing at 180 degrees comfortable. I use 120 only when keeping Pandora on a desk. table etc.

BYW, those rubber parts @Twisted mentioned are purely adhesive, easily applicable and removable - no need do glue anything permanently.

The angle it's designed to be used at is comfortable. If you need it upright, it works for that too. Anything else, probably not.

As said: it does only lock at 180, but the tightness of it allows it to be set to most angles. There's no telling how long it'll take before it loosens up, but I've been using mine constantly for months and it still holds fine.

Also 180 is actually not a big deal anyway, I found it didn't affect my usage at all when held in the hand, the only time you'd truly need another angle is when you have it on a desk.

I need a tri-wing screwdriver so I can tear apart my old and busted DS, get ahold of the hinge, and see how compatible it is with the Pandora's. Maybe then people will stop complaining about the hinge opening to full.

I'd be interested to know that as I also have a busted DS here, although I don't think I'd ever be brave enough to attempt opening my Pandora. I wonder if ED or Craig would be interested in offering some kind of mod service where we could send our Pandora's in for something like this to be done properly? It would be awesome to be able to have extra shoulder buttons and LED mods done professionally, especially for those without the necessary skills.

If the hinge is too loose for your taste, just add some friction yourself in whatever way you can come up with (a bit of rubber between the hinge should do the trick)

Oh, and if you need any more convincing: the Pandora is pretty much the only, and certainly the most powerful and functional, pocketable (general-purpose) computing device with an active-usage battery life of 10+ hours...

Back