GP32 Controlling Graphics

solarice

Website
Visit site
Hi,

just wondering you know when you create a background or somthing that your gonna tile, do you have to cut the finished image into bits before importing into mappy.

This may seem a daft question but its just that ricos tutorial on this, says to line all the gaphic tiles in a long line so it loads faster, and seeing as mappy cuts them into whatever size sections you want isnt that just more work for the same result.

Also if youve got a line of character animations stored in a tile map, how do you get the program to display them when needed.

Hope you can understand what im on about :D

Thanks in advance

The reason you want to arrange them all in a long line is that it simplifies the code for drawing each tile. If you have them in a grid then you have to calculate the x and y coordinate, but if they are in a single strip, you just need to calculate the x coordinate of the tile in your source bitmap, which you can do with one multiply. If you are smart your tiles are a power of 2 in size, so you can use a binary shift instead of a multiply and that comes for free on ARM processors.

It sounds like you might just want to draw a background you have drawn in a paint package, and don't really need to use mappy or tiling at all. Are you sure you want tiled graphics?

do i need tiled graphics.....hmmmm

to be honest dont really know. :D

at the moment just trying to figure out exactly what i need to be able to do, but if i was going to create a map say the size of Grand Theft Auto's (just an example not actually planning on recreating gta). That would need to be tiled wouldnt it, as drawing it all in one go would slow everything down, right ?.

Just wondering if im right about above, do you know what the limit is for displaying a normal background (not tiled). most likely be trial and error i suppose.

Thanks for info so far :)

Tile graphics are slightly slower than just showing a bitmap. You use tile graphics to save space, not speed.

thanks for that, in that case for now i think i'll just use whole images, or at least i will when i start attempting to make somthing.

Back