GP2X Controller Button Functions

Dzz

stmia r0!, {r2-r9}
Website
Visit site
Hi all! So I'm working on a little game, perhaps to be released as a "preview" for the contest ending soon. I don't really have a history playing handheld or console games and I'm wondering (embarrassing as it is) if there is any sort of standard "conventions" for what the various buttons are for.

The available buttons (not counting the joystick directions):

L, R, A, B, X, Y, START, SELECT, JOYPUSH

I know that different games have different functions so there are not "universals" but gamers must come to expect that certain controls will function in certain ways. If I had to guess, here's what I would guess for some common tasks... if these are wrong or unusual somebody please correct me so I don't use nonintuitive controls (and maybe somebody else will benefit too).

Menu selection (for example, choosing between single player and multiple players before the game starts, or selecting a difficulty level): Either have the text explain which button to push for each option (A=SINGLE PLAYER B=TWO PLAYERS), in which case favor A and B as the buttons but also X and Y could be available. Or, navigate a list. If navigating a list, the joystick and X / Y buttons are used to move between items, with SELECT, A, JOYPUSH, L, or R (any one of them) used to make the selection (if making a selection is required).

Lacking something like explicitly explained keys to start the game (e.g. A = START EASY GAME B = START HARD GAME), I would think that the START button would start the game. Also, the START button pauses the game and resumes it again.

If the game has a weapon, it seems like the R button is the most natural way to fire it. It seems a bit awkward to push the L button too often while using the left hand to work the joystick. Is there normally another button used to fire the primary weapon -- for example, R and A could both have that function. It's nice to reserve buttons for alternate functions but nicer to make the controls behave the way players expect.

Secondary weapon: Lots of games have a second weapon. I'd guess that this would map to L and B.

X and Y would then be used for alternate functions (like jumping, ducking, going into hyperspace, etc). The joystick push could similarly be used for an alternate function, but after playing with my gp2x for a while it seems like it might be better to avoid the joystick push altogether as it's too easy to click it accidentally. For something like a strategy or adventure game, moving a cursor with the joystick then pressing to select the item under the cursor seems like it could work though.

I have no idea what the SELECT button would be used for during game play.

Any corrections or additions greatly appreciated!

luteijn posted on Feb 15 2006 at 11:01 AM said:
there's some suggestions in the wiki. Don't take them too seriously, but it's a start.
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Common_User_Inte...Recommendations

Thanks! Not sure how I have never found that. Some of the recommendations are surprising... in particular not recommending the "R" button for a "primary action" (like firing) since it's so conveniently placed. Also the preference for "B" over A" as a primary action is surprising given alphabetical order, but perhaps it is easier to reach with your thumb.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose it all depends on how you're holding the controller.

I think some of the recommendation have to do with other consoles' (e.g. PS) button layout and standard use. the spots where B and X are on gp2x are where the O and X button are on the PS; X is usually 'action' there, (sometimes X=no/cancel O=yes/continue because in Japan these symbols are used that way)

Shoulder buttons are often used as 'shift' keys, I guess because most people _don'
t_ find them easy to fire in rapid succession.

P.

BTW, if anyone has _the_ reason for control-pad/stick being on the left hand and action buttons on the right, I'm interested to know. I'd think most people are better at fine control with their right hands, and left is good enough for button ramming..

If you don't mind coding gui's, putting in something to let people reconfigure the buttons always goes down well :)

it really is a subjective thing, and as long as the program is clear about what button does what, it's easy enough to get used to it. however, i think that it's really frustrating when certain button presses in a program (usually ports i guess) can "lock you out"...like pressing 'B' in duke3d, or 'R' in blobwars. it's not fun having to sit through a reboot because you pressed the "wrong" button by mistake. other than that i'd say anything is fair game...just make sure you put in a way to exit as well!

Back