Connecting Gp32 With Your Computer

jrlirgg

Still Fresh
I have just purchased a GP 32 from a previous owner in UK. I have tried to connect to my computer, but I think I need to get to a PC Link screen on the GP32. The screen looks nothing like the original looking at the manual. It boots up in wind-ups, has various games and emulators on it. I'm new, so I am trying to figure this out. Has someone flashed this with a different OS? Do I need to register since it looks like someone already has? How do I format a card. I have the instruction booklet, but most of that doesn't pertain to this machine.

Leave wind ups on there until you get used the the system.
The PC-link is awful, pick up an SMC card reader and copy programmes like that to the card.

Buy a flash reader sometime. They are much faster than PC-Link through the GP32, and they don't have the 8.3 filename restriction like PC-Link does (meaning your file names can be as long as you want with a card reader).

shinneri posted on Mar 26 2005 at 06:28 PM said:
Buy a flash reader sometime. They are much faster than PC-Link through the GP32, and they don't have the 8.3 filename restriction like PC-Link does (meaning your file names can be as long as you want with a card reader).
no, use gpdrive, it lets you use your gp32 as a mass-storage device in windows :)

Last edited by a moderator:
aapje89 posted on Mar 26 2005 at 08:48 PM said:
shinneri posted on Mar 26 2005 at 06:28 PM said:
Buy a flash reader sometime.  They are much faster than PC-Link through the GP32, and they don't have the 8.3 filename restriction like PC-Link does (meaning your file names can be as long as you want with a card reader).
no, use gpdrive, it lets you use your gp32 as a mass-storage device in windows :)

True, but the SMC-reader copies a lot faster (doenst it?)

And you will have more fun with our batteries!

DRK posted on May 11 2005 at 04:17 PM said:
And you will have more fun with our batteries!
Hi
I'm new here and i brought a GP32 Flu 166mhz off ebay. when i recived the package i tried 2 connect the console to the computer but when i plug the usb into the computer it says thats its unknown hardware. Becuase of this i can't do anything with it. Can anyone Help me?

@ harryc

Does it have a start up screen like this ?.

Koreanmenu.jpg

If not, Then buy a card reader.

Trooper

trooper posted on May 11 2005 at 07:49 PM said:
@ harryc

Does it have a start up screen like this ?.

Koreanmenu.jpg

If not, Then buy a card reader.

Trooper
Yea it starts off like that but i already got a card reader and i don't know how to do anything!

[/quote]
Yea it starts off like that but i already got a card reader and i don't know how to do anything!
[/quote]
Also on the card that i received it only had the MP3 File and the GPFM file or wateva its called can this mean thats its faulty?

[/quote]
Also on the card that i received it only had the MP3 File and the GPFM file or wateva its called can this mean thats its faulty?
[/quote]

Alright, if you already have a card reader, then it's very simple. I ran into the same problem you did when I got my BLU+. Stupid windows XP wouldn't just let me put stuff onto the card thru the PC link. it insisted on trying to find a driver for the "unknown device, and when it couldn't find one, it said I couldn't use it or something... so I just used my card reader. my BLU+ came with a free extra smart media card with a commecial game already on it. So to find out what to do, I looked at that card in the card reader to see how the folders were set up. You need to make a folder called GPMM or GAME(i'm not sure when they changed it or if it ever was changed, but mine uses GPMM... anyway...). That folder is where you want to put your .fxe files. They're basically like .exe files for windows, meaning they are the files that contain the program. If you use Little John(an NES emulator), you need to create a folder called NES inside GPMM/GAME also, and place your roms inside the NES folder. When you select GAME on the main menu that appears when the machine is turned on, it should take you to some kind of browser. Select the program you want to run, and the rest is pretty self explanatory.

The fact that the card you got with your machine only has 2 folders on it doesn't mean that it's faulty. it's not supposed to have the folders on it unless it's been formatted by the GP32 or someone put the folders there manually. the MP3 folder is where MP3's will go. The GPMM folder is where all your programs and most of your other files will go. You can also create a folder called MOVIE for movie programs. some programs will let you put its corresponding files wherever you want, and others will be programmed to look for the files in a certain location on the card. usually a readme file that came with the program will tell you where to put the files.

[/quote]

Alright, if you already have a card reader, then it's very simple. I ran into the same problem you did when I got my BLU+. Stupid windows XP wouldn't just let me put stuff onto the card thru the PC link. it insisted on trying to find a driver for the "unknown device, and when it couldn't find one, it said I couldn't use it or something... so I just used my card reader. my BLU+ came with a free extra smart media card with a commecial game already on it. So to find out what to do, I looked at that card in the card reader to see how the folders were set up. You need to make a folder called GPMM or GAME(i'm not sure when they changed it or if it ever was changed, but mine uses GPMM... anyway...). That folder is where you want to put your .fxe files. They're basically like .exe files for windows, meaning they are the files that contain the program. If you use Little John(an NES emulator), you need to create a folder called NES inside GPMM/GAME also, and place your roms inside the NES folder. When you select GAME on the main menu that appears when the machine is turned on, it should take you to some kind of browser. Select the program you want to run, and the rest is pretty self explanatory.

The fact that the card you got with your machine only has 2 folders on it doesn't mean that it's faulty. it's not supposed to have the folders on it unless it's been formatted by the GP32 or someone put the folders there manually. the MP3 folder is where MP3's will go. The GPMM folder is where all your programs and most of your other files will go. You can also create a folder called MOVIE for movie programs. some programs will let you put its corresponding files wherever you want, and others will be programmed to look for the files in a certain location on the card. usually a readme file that came with the program will tell you where to put the files.
[/quote]
So how do i put things such as windups and all that. also if i wanted to put a movie file in will i have to put it in the GPMM? Folder?

[/quote]
So how do i put things such as windups and all that. also if i wanted to put a movie file in will i have to put it in the GPMM? Folder?
[/quote]
Also in The GPMM folder i also got a folder within that which is called GPFM is this a folder created by the original owner? so for eerything i want to put onto the GP32 i have to create a folder of what it is in the directory?

@ harryc

Does your GP32 make a silly jingle sound (tune) when you first switch it on ?.
If you hold the select button when you switch your GP on, Does a text menu appear ?.

If the answers is yes to Q1 and no to Q2, Then you have the very old original korean firmware. Which means you need the freelauncher program for your GP32 to be able to run anything else above mp3`s and commercial games.

This is the Gamepark support page with the programs you need, But you have to sign up before you can download them.

You need: In the order you need to install them.

The drivers for your version of windows (runs on the pc)
The Authentication wizard (runs on the pc and encrypts the freelauncher program for use only on your GP)
Either Pc-link or GP manager (comes with drivers)
The free launcher program (This runs on the GP32, But needs to be installed via pc-link or GP manager via the file menu)

EDIT: Sorry, Just cleaned up as it didn`t make sense. :rolleyes:

EDIT2: Highlight the game icon on your GP32 and press the start button. Is there anything in the menu that appears ?.

Trooper

[/quote]
Also in The GPMM folder i also got a folder within that which is called GPFM is this a folder created by the original owner? so for eerything i want to put onto the GP32 i have to create a folder of what it is in the directory?
[/quote]
Hey tried what you said with putting each thing i want in each folder but when i turn on my GP32 nothing happens!

Back