Conky

Tempel said:
How would one go about doing that and getting it pushed to the Pandora feed? Or upstream to Angstrom? I would really like to update the Midori package, but can't even find the original bitbake recipe.
http://git.openpandora.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=openembedded.git;a=tree;f=recipes/gtk-webcore;h=d1d9853901357fcb2c00dec9b824d77645e25804;hb=HEAD
use the search :p (It took longer than i expected to find that).
There's many .bb's there, pick your version :p (I dunno what we're using, not near a pandora atm)

git clone the repo make needed changes to wanted .bb, then, well I wont explain it better than notaz did to me, so...

Notaz on the bugtracker said:
Can you make a formal GIT patch so that you get proper credit? Basically:

git config --global user.name "My Name"
git config --global user.email "myname@domain.com"
git add <changed files>
git commit -s
git format-patch -o /somewhere -1
Those config lines need to be done only once. Also, i suggest you to export EDITOR=nano (or your favorite editor) before git commit -s if you have vi-fobia.
I'd suggest to test the new/modified .bb before pushing it up but for that you need an OE environment etc (guide: http://blogs.distant-earth.com/wp/?p=90 ; needed: (fast) linux (ubuntu tested) box with lots of HDD space), so I think you could post it so some OS dev can test it, too (but remember note that its untested).

Now I assumed some stuff here, but hopefully I'm being helpful :p

Last edited by a moderator:
daniel3000 has made a pnd of conky, i have not yet tried it though.
i havent been home to have time to fiddle with it, but the idea was that i fiddle and make a good conky.conf before danial300 made it public.

Very helpful urjaman, thank you. Not that I'll be committing changes until I get my Pandora, but I can get started and will know what to do once I've got changes worth pushing.

Tempel said:
Very helpful urjaman, thank you. Not that I'll be committing changes until I get my Pandora, but I can get started and will know what to do once I've got changes worth pushing.

If you have any patches, you can put them on the bugtracker. We will review and include them there then :D

Last edited:
Caine said:
This is looking good. Some nice configurations as well.

It makes me wonder though. Do we have a good place to upload such scripts and configurations? I don't know if this should be in the AppStore, the wiki, the forums or some other place altogether.

Sorry for being a bit off-topic here.
And sorry for gravedigging to answer, but this is a good question. I think personally that the wiki would be the best place, since it combines being well-organized with being easy to edit/correct. There's a tiny bit of that kind of thing there already in some of the articles and tutorials, for example the one for the NAND.

If you have an idea for something, write it up and add it to the list of tutorials and documentation:
http://pandorawiki.org/Tutorials_and_documentation

Here's a screenshot of my desktop. It's sort of minimal, but I was most interested in getting the scrolling newsfeed. It spends a lot of time offline, so I should look at pulling in fortune information as my friend has recommended. Plus, it's been going down lately, so I should look into what's causing the error.
Desktop.jpg

.conkyrc (top comments removed)
Code:
alignment top_left
background true
border_width 1
cpu_avg_samples 2
default_color white
default_outline_color white
default_shade_color white
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders yes
draw_outline no
draw_shades no
use_xft yes
xftfont DejaVu Sans Mono:size=12
gap_x 5
gap_y 0
minimum_size 5 5
net_avg_samples 2
double_buffer no
no_buffers yes
out_to_console no
own_window yes
own_window_class Conky
own_window_type panel
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
stippled_borders 0
update_interval 1.0
uppercase no
use_spacer none
show_graph_scale no
show_graph_range no

TEXT
${font DejaVu Sans Mono:size=12} ${color 474948}${time %a %D, %R} ${cpugraph 12,400 212D23 6CA36C} ${scroll 56 ${rss http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications?format=feed&type=rss 5 item_titles 1} ${font openlogos:size=12}Q${font DejaVu Sans Mono:size=12} ${rss http://rss.cnn.com/rss/cnn_topstories.rss 5 item_titles 1}}

just a fyi for conky noobs like myself, using the PND version of conky:

put the config files in yoursdcard/pandora/appdata/conky and rename it conky.conf

What is the proper way to terminate conky if you are running it without window decorations (no x button to close it)?

"killall conky" ?

Gerix said:
Here's a screenshot of my desktop. It's sort of minimal, but I was most interested in getting the scrolling newsfeed. It spends a lot of time offline, so I should look at pulling in fortune information as my friend has recommended. Plus, it's been going down lately, so I should look into what's causing the error.
Desktop.jpg

.conkyrc (top comments removed)
Code:
alignment top_left
background true
border_width 1
cpu_avg_samples 2
default_color white
default_outline_color white
default_shade_color white
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders yes
draw_outline no
draw_shades no
use_xft yes
xftfont DejaVu Sans Mono:size=12
gap_x 5
gap_y 0
minimum_size 5 5
net_avg_samples 2
double_buffer no
no_buffers yes
out_to_console no
own_window yes
own_window_class Conky
own_window_type panel
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
stippled_borders 0
update_interval 1.0
uppercase no
use_spacer none
show_graph_scale no
show_graph_range no

TEXT
${font DejaVu Sans Mono:size=12} ${color 474948}${time %a %D, %R} ${cpugraph 12,400 212D23 6CA36C} ${scroll 56 ${rss http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications?format=feed&type=rss 5 item_titles 1} ${font openlogos:size=12}Q${font DejaVu Sans Mono:size=12} ${rss http://rss.cnn.com/rss/cnn_topstories.rss 5 item_titles 1}}

hi have you found out why rss feeds not working properly?
cheers

Question...

I have incorporated Conky onto my desktop.. I have a portion at the top that I want to be more centered and I figured seting a specific gap x and gap y would be better than the align variable.

How do I code it so that the following can be adjusted using the X Y positioning ?
Right now they are aligned on the left. I want the moved over more centered.. Or do I use alignm ?? for middle ??

TEXT
${color #663300}$nodename
$color${time %H:%M:%S}

Also, what fonts are installed on the Pandora ? Is there a way to see and do I how can I change the font for the all text used ?
Do I change it here :

xftfont Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:size=10

Thank you...

edit/
Figured it out..... Will post screenshot soon.

peelie said:
hi have you found out why rss feeds not working properly?
cheers
Well, they seem to be working as configured at the moment. I haven't modified the configuration file in quite some time, but I haven't noticed the panel quitting unexpectedly anymore. Must have been fixed with an update... Anyway, I still need to look into that fortune idea. I've been putting it off, but since you replied, I feel like I should. Also, I've toyed with the appearance of my desktop. I'm going to gravedig that screenshot thread later tonight or sometime tomorrow, I think.

I tested the stock conky pnd with default config. It works (in a visible and ugly window) but it doesn't show CPU Speed and also no Network traffic or any graphs at all. I tried some configs I found here and there but this ended in bad stuff like freezing etc...

So maybe someone could wrap the Conky PND with a better default script? Would be nice so we don't have to search the Forums if we just want to use the Tool "as it is". :)

Back