Completely Burnt Out

GCDKraven

Still Fresh
Hi everyone,
I bought my GP2X from gp2x.co.uk back in December last year.... and it was running fine and dandy for me since then!
Until now!

I turned it on today and was planning to have a nice quiet game of RetroVirus, when the screen went blank and a disgusting smell of burning silicon start coming from it. Naturally I took out the batteries immediatley, then thinking MAYBE it was the batteries rather than the unit, I put a freshly charged pair in, and nothing! No power LED, no display, nothing but the smell of a burning chip and the sound of a breaking heart.

I loved my GP2X! It was like a brother that I actually could have FUN with.

Anyway my question is..... what do you reckon:
A) The cause was for this? I'm using Uniross 1.5v AA Rechargables @ 2500mAh and have been doing since I bought it. Never used a mains connector or any questionable hardware devices. Nor have I dropped it at any point, exposed it to any form of extreme cold or heat. I've done nothing that can damage it. Any ideas?

B) My chances are of getting a replacement from gp2x.co.uk? I'd normally ask for a refund but I accept and appreciate that the GP2X is still a young device in the grand scheme of things, and that the occasional rotten egg will roll off the assembly line. That and I love the GP2X! It's everything I like about entertainment in a tidy package! I'd hate to have to go through legal channels to get a refund, and end up without one! So anyone have any experience with this? Naturally I've e-mailed them, but I'm also going to phone them when 10:15 rolls on by.....

Another thing is I never had any of those annoying problems with this unit that others have complained about/mentioned.... no Ghosting, no joystick troubles, no dead pixels, no lines on the screen, no bad speakers/connectors etc. It has been a lovely piece of kit since the moment I opened the box!

:( I'm sad now! Feels like a piece of my insignificant little life has just been ripped away and all I'm left with is the casing as a reminder of what might have been...... who knows, this time I might have actually reached the end of RetroVirus!

Any advice, suggestions, personal experiences, opinions, and especially half-hearted sympathy are all appreciated!

Any ... half-hearted sympathy ... appreciated!

Geez. sorry to hear that, dude. B)

However... the device is relatively new, I'm sure you'll get a replacement offered. :)

I only had mine for a couple of weeks and have had to return it to Hong Kong with a defective SD port. Already, its like loosing an arm. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they generally refund the postage costs? If not it'd be cheaper and quicker for me to drive down there (gp2x.co.uk's POB) and deliver it myself!

Usually you will bear the return postage.

Sorry to hear yours snuffed it. Hope it's not too long before you get your replacement.

That's harsh chief :(
I'm gutted that mine's down due to bricking, but at least I have a chance to get it working again.

Sods law strikes again I suppose with you never having the problems that others have faced, yet having the unit go completely tits up like this.

You might as well try for a refund.. what you got to loose?

Hope you get it sorted whatever happens :)

I got a replacement a few weeks ago and GP2X.co.uk told me they would refund my postage costs. Haven't seen it yet, but I do still believe they will do it - will probably require a little nudge though... :unsure:

Problem you may have is that it sounds like yours is *just* out of it's 1 year warranty, so technically they don't have to fix or replace it for free :(

I really feel for you though - I may consider suicide without my GP2X (well, I'd probably just buy another actually) :D

Bought the GP2X in December 06 so it's well within 12 months

I e-mailed them and got a reply saying to send it back in along with my order number and it would be looked at.

Since the fault is most definatly a dead component, I'm sure they'll have no problem sending me a replacement, and yes.... they did say they'd refund postage (with proof of postage cost provided.... which I can do).

@ Tonka - If you have a postage receipt, mail it to them first class with your order number and a cover letter explaining that its proof of postage cost and asking kindly for a refund to be sent to you..... I'm sure they'll be okay with that.

Thanks for your sentiments and advice everyone!

Hopefully I will have a new GP2X within 2 weeks :)

Back