Getting A Gp2x Repaired?

LKM

Still Fresh
After trying to update the Firmware on my GP2X, it is bricked. The Power LED turns on, but the screen remains black, and no amount of randomly pressing button (my preferred way of fixing gadgets) changes anything. The "is your GP2X bricked?" tutorials usually assume a blue screen, but mine doesn't even turn on, so I seem to have a different problem on my hands. I don't have a computer with a parallel port, so I can't really figure out anything beyond the fact that the GP2X seems to be absolutely screwed.

Is there any kind of service which repairs GP2X handhelds? I have found nothing of the sort on the gp2x.co.uk web site.

I don't want to just throw the thing away and buy a new one... Any ideas? Actually, if anyone of you thinks you can fix my GP2X, tell me your price and your address and I'll send it to you (if your price is reasonable).

I've never really done it, but I have an old computer with a parallel port ( :D ) and Win98SE ( :blink: ). Besides, I have a cradle with serial and parallel cable and the necessary software (the GP unbricker and some unofficial unbrickers).

So with all requirements met, I'd like to give it a go for shipping costs only. The only possible problem is that I'm living in the Netherlands. So if that's no problem for you, please PM me.

Otherwise, you could wait for someone in your own country to reply.

Btw. forgot the easiest way. First download the firmware version 4.0.0 that suits your model (F100 or F200) from this page. Unpack all files to an sd card which shouldn't be too small and which shouldn't be an sdhc (4Gb or larger) version. You will need a cardreader for this. Cards from the "better" brands (Sandisk, Kingston) have been reported to be more reliable, although I've updated my firmware a few times from an el-cheapo card.

Connect an external power supply to your gp2x or use a fresh set of really good batteries! Insert the card in your gp2x and turn it on while holding both the start and select button pressed. If you're lucky, firmware updating will start. Just let it finish until the menu reappears.

If you can't get the firmware update to start this way, it definitely needs unbricking with a cradle or JTAG cable.

If your gp2x is an F100 model, you might wish to downgrade to 2.0 afterwards, it seems to be way better than everything released later.

Back