Common Lisp Question

Jonsul

Still Fresh
Hey I just recently discovered I've been bitten by the Lisp bug. I love the language a lot and probably understand it more then any other language except Javascript which was my real first. I've been searching around on making games with lisp and have found quite a lot of neat stuff. For instance an sdl library and I also found a blog on it as well. I was wondering, since I already own a Wiz, and it's basically linux on it, and there is an sdl library. What's the likelihood of getting say sbcl to run on it with the sdl library? I don't think it would be too hard considering there's already a port of sbcl for arm.

I've already searched and learned that something I compile on linux for arm will probably run on Pandora without much trouble. But I probably won't be able to buy a Pandora any time soon at all.

Thank you

Hi

I had that idea too, and looked around, cause SBCL isn't yet ported to ARM.
My first idea was to use Lush to develop a simple Game. Lush is able to generate C Code which then can be compiled to machine code. Lush uses SDL for graphics,so cross-compiling the whole thingy to Wiz or GP2X should be a no-brainer.

After chatting with some guys in #lisp, i have choosen to use a true Common Lisp implementation, which is now ECL, which can also generate machine code. Due to the fact that ECL is a true lisp, SDL & Co are available. Using ECL from within Emacs + SLIME is a lot of fun.

It should be possible to compile ECL for ARM without much effort, but I haven't tried it yet.

BR
paines

Anes Lihovac said:
Hi

I had that idea too, and looked around, cause SBCL isn't yet ported to ARM.
My first idea was to use Lush to develop a simple Game. Lush is able to generate C Code which then can be compiled to machine code. Lush uses SDL for graphics,so cross-compiling the whole thingy to Wiz or GP2X should be a no-brainer.

After chatting with some guys in #lisp, i have choosen to use a true Common Lisp implementation, which is now ECL, which can also generate machine code. Due to the fact that ECL is a true lisp, SDL & Co are available. Using ECL from within Emacs + SLIME is a lot of fun.

It should be possible to compile ECL for ARM without much effort, but I haven't tried it yet.

BR
paines

Oh misread the site. I just scanned the available builds and thought I saw it.

I looked into it and found this post on it. http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/browse_thread/thread/ab0bac235e6be2bd

ECL ported to iphone: http://lambdajive.wordpress.com/2009/03/27/common-lisp-on-iphone-ecl-comes-through-at-last/

Apparently gnu common lisp already runs on arm: http://www.gnu.org/software/gcl/gcl.html

[edit]
Question. Since Ecl is first translated to C which is then compiled, couldn't you just translate it to C code and compile it yourself for ARM?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jonsul said:
Question. Since Ecl is first translated to C which is then compiled, couldn't you just translate it to C code and compile it yourself for ARM?

Well, then with ECL it should work the same way as I want to do it with the Lush Code.
BR

Last edited by a moderator:
Back