Lisp Compiler On Arm?

Dutch_Cap

I have recently fallen in love with the Lisp programming language. So naturally, if I were to develop for the Pandora, I'd prefer to use Lisp. However, I haven't been able to find a Lisp compiler for the ARM platform. GNU CLisp is available, but I believe that only compiles to bytecode. I'd like to be able to compile my Lisp to a native executable.

Does anybody know if Lisp compilers exist that compile to ARM? I might consider paying for a good commercial one.

I don't know if such a beast exists.

But back in my Atari ST days I used clisp which even though it uses a VM was speedy enough for my rather big project (thousands of lines plus "compilation" of run-time generated code; I was doing JIT ahead of time ;))

Laurent said:
I don't know if such a beast exists.

But back in my Atari ST days I used clisp which even though it uses a VM was speedy enough for my rather big project (thousands of lines plus "compilation" of run-time generated code; I was doing JIT ahead of time ;))
Another display of the undeniable power of Lisp! :p

You make a very good point, bytecode should be fast enough for most things I can throw at it.

Do you reckon it will be fast enough if I ever go beyond n00b 3D programming?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dutch_Cap said:
Do you reckon it will be fast enough if I ever go beyond n00b 3D programming?
I only did serious work with clisp :D
I don't know if clisp can talk to a C opengl lib...

Laurent said:
I don't know if clisp can talk to a C opengl lib...
I know all/most Common Lisp implementations have a foreign function interface (FFI). The interface can differ between implementations, though. I've also seen a number of SDL and OpenGL bindings, but I haven't gotten any of them to work yet.

Dutch_Cap said:
Does anybody know if Lisp compilers exist that compile to ARM? I might consider paying for a good commercial one.
CLisp compiles on ARM but outputs bytecode only.
For native code, you have to look for a Lisp->C compiler.
ECL does just that, and is usable.

You have also severall Scheme compilers available, of which chicken scheme is a very pleasant one (also : MZScheme, gambit (but compilation is very slow) and bigloo (which have not the same library than chicken for now but looks nonetheless very interresting).

Happy Hacking !

A Lisp to C compiler looks like an excellent solution. I did not know such things existed, thanks!

Back