Commander Keen 3D

mcobit

Advanced Member
http://www.nzcgi.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1254&start=30

Here is a Link to something I found.
There is a guy, who creates a 3D Remake of the Commander Keen Series. When my account gets activated I want to ask him, if he would port it to Pandora.
I hope he will, because up to now it looks really nice.

Interesting. I grew up With Commander Keen (4) and this project is a very creative Idea. As long as the Gameplay itself stays in 2D side view I'm fine with this. Keen in "free" 3D Environment is no Keen IMHO.

fusion_power said:
Interesting. I grew up With Commander Keen (4) and this project is a very creative Idea. As long as the Gameplay itself stays in 2D side view I'm fine with this. Keen in "free" 3D Environment is no Keen IMHO.
The creator of Keen would disagree with you :p
That was the plan for the next Keen, something akin to Mario64, or at least what he hoped to one day be where Keen was going.

Last edited by a moderator:
This uses the Unity engine.

Unity engine is closed source. :-(

I still hope we can get sauerbraten working and therefor Platinum Arts Sandbox.
PAS seems to get a great development-platform for 2,5D-Sidescrollers (and probably some other gametypes).
I still think it could be ported, as it runs well on my laptop (Pentium-M 1,6Ghz downclocked to 600Mhz, 512MB Ram, Ati Radeon Mobility 9600 with open-source driver, Arch-Linux).

I'm currently trying to get into PAS and maybe create a sonic-like game in 2,5D with it. The Editor is just great (what did you expect from a Sauerbraten-derivate? ;)) and scripting seems to be pretty straight forward. Still I might wait till platforming is better integrated, don't have much free time till mid-march.

VRAndy said:

That said ... I'd play this even if it was windows only.

If it had a pogo stick and a reasonable number of levels, I would pretend it was a commercial title and donate $50 to the author. I miss Commander Keen. It's not fair that we get a zillion Mario games but the only Keen revival was that terrible gameboy game.

VRAndy said:
VRAndy said:

That said ... I'd play this even if it was windows only.

If it had a pogo stick and a reasonable number of levels, I would pretend it was a commercial title and donate $50 to the author. I miss Commander Keen. It's not fair that we get a zillion Mario games but the only Keen revival was that terrible gameboy game.

Well, you do get this. As good as the originals, I thought.

WizardStan said:
fusion_power said:
That was the plan for the next Keen, something akin to Mario64, or at least what he hoped to one day be where Keen was going.

When you port a 2d game to a 3d game, it isn't the same game anymore. It has been fundamentally changed and there is no way to even compare them. Keen wasn't good because of the character, it was the game that was good (although keen himself was cool). 3d and 2d games play nothing alike.

Chris

Speaking of character, they need to make him look younger. As a kid with a purple shirt and helmet, it's cute. As a kid who looks the age of the 3D version, he seems autistic.

christo930 said:
WizardStan said:
fusion_power said:
When you port a 2d game to a 3d game, it isn't the same game anymore. It has been fundamentally changed and there is no way to even compare them. Keen wasn't good because of the character, it was the game that was good (although keen himself was cool). 3d and 2d games play nothing alike.
What you're saying is that a 3D port of Keen 4 is not the same game as Keen 4.
What fusion_power said is that Keen in 3D is no Keen game at all.
These two statements are different, and doesn't change the fact that the creator of Keen wanted to eventually make the transition into 3D, akin to the way Mario did in Mario64.

I loved some of the videos like the ragdoll test and the broken neck vid

I LOVED that game, I would so love that game on my pandora!

WizardStan said:
christo930 said:
WizardStan said:
fusion_power said:
What you're saying is that a 3D port of Keen 4 is not the same game as Keen 4.
What fusion_power said is that Keen in 3D is no Keen game at all.
These two statements are different, and doesn't change the fact that the creator of Keen wanted to eventually make the transition into 3D, akin to the way Mario did in Mario64.
I didn't say anything about Keen 4, I said that when a game makes a transition to 3d, it's not the same type of game anymore. Why bother calling it Keen anything, it won't be anything remotely close to any version of Commander Keen. So it wouldn't be a keen game anymore, it would be a totally new type of game that has NOTHING to do with the original other than the name and characters. Mario 64 was supposedly a good game, but it had nothing in common with previous mario games other than the name. They could have called it chris bros 64 for all it had in common with previous mario games. Look at Duke Nukem, what in the world did duke 3d have in common with duke 1 and 2? It had far more in common with Doom than it did Duke Nukem.

Chris

Kloplop321 said:

Dosbox will probably run fast enough on the Pandora (if it ever ships) to give a decent game of latter keen games.
If I knew it was going to take so long to ship I would have put 10-15 bucks away each month to buy it when it finally came out.

christo930 said:
I didn't say anything about Keen 4, I said that when a game makes a transition to 3d, it's not the same type of game anymore. Why bother calling it Keen anything, it won't be anything remotely close to any version of Commander Keen. So it wouldn't be a keen game anymore, it would be a totally new type of game that has NOTHING to do with the original other than the name and characters. Mario 64 was supposedly a good game, but it had nothing in common with previous mario games other than the name. They could have called it chris bros 64 for all it had in common with previous mario games. Look at Duke Nukem, what in the world did duke 3d have in common with duke 1 and 2? It had far more in common with Doom than it did Duke Nukem.
Sorry, you said "port a 2d game to a 3d game". To port something usually means you're literally taking a game and moving it to another platform, a 2D game into a 3D game in this case. That's why I was confused about what you were saying.
Taking your opinion and running with it, if I may, where do you draw the line? A 2D game becoming 3D you obviously claim is a totally different game, but what about other features? What about Mario 1 vs Mario 3? One was a straight side scroller one level after another, while 3 had an overland map and selectable items that greatly changed gameplay. Is Mario 3 even still a Mario game then?
Let's look at the Legend of Zelda series. Zelda 1 vs Zelda 2: would you state that the second one wasn't a Zelda game because it was a side scroller? Zelda 1 vs Zelda 3: would you say the third one had nothing in common because it was multi-layered levels, or possibly because it was a 16 bit vs 8 bit? Obviously Ocarina of Time is not a Zelda game in your mind, because it's 3D.
You've got an opinion, I'm just trying to figure out how deep it goes.

WizardStan said:
christo930 said:
Sorry, you said "port a 2d game to a 3d game". To port something usually means you're literally taking a game and moving it to another platform, a 2D game into a 3D game in this case. That's why I was confused about what you were saying.
Taking your opinion and running with it, if I may, where do you draw the line? A 2D game becoming 3D you obviously claim is a totally different game, but what about other features? What about Mario 1 vs Mario 3? One was a straight side scroller one level after another, while 3 had an overland map and selectable items that greatly changed gameplay. Is Mario 3 even still a Mario game then?
Let's look at the Legend of Zelda series. Zelda 1 vs Zelda 2: would you state that the second one wasn't a Zelda game because it was a side scroller? Zelda 1 vs Zelda 3: would you say the third one had nothing in common because it was multi-layered levels, or possibly because it was a 16 bit vs 8 bit? Obviously Ocarina of Time is not a Zelda game in your mind, because it's 3D.
You've got an opinion, I'm just trying to figure out how deep it goes.
Your Mario 1 vs 3 is a good comparison. This is a classic example of a game growing over the series while still remaining the same game. The game mechanics are pretty much in tact with new features ADDED, not replaced. Of course, we are talking about a game that changed fundamentally even during the 2d parts. From jumpman in DK, to Mario bros, a single screen platform game, to a run and jump side scroller. Although from super mario bros all the way to (not including) mario 64, it was fundamentally the same game, but then it went back to 2d.
It's just my opinion and I am probably showing my age, but I don't like 3d games in general. Certain applications of 3d are great, like racing, and doom was interesting, but overall, most 3d games are just boring and difficult to control.

christo930 said:
Kloplop321 said:

Dosbox will probably run fast enough on the Pandora (if it ever ships) to give a decent game of latter keen games.
If I knew it was going to take so long to ship I would have put 10-15 bucks away each month to buy it when it finally came out.
I loved the DOS version, but I was talking about wanting the 3D one on the pandora. I have played all the DOS games, including Keen4 demo. I am fully aware of dosbox...

Back