Command Line?

VRAndy

Stupid question, but I can't see it answered anywhere. (I even checked the FAQ and the Wiki!)

Will the default gui have a nice simple way to being up a console window? With a friendly bash prompt?

I ask because I hope to keep the default configuration as much as possible and I'm happy with a GUI designed primarily for easy game-launching, but at the same time I'm looking forward to having nice portable access to my favorite command line utilities.

Edit : To clarify, I know how Linux works. (Why else would I describe Bash as "friendly"?) And I know it's possible to install Ubuntu on the device. My question is about the default OS and GUI, if anyone knows how that will be.

VRAndy said:
Stupid question, but I can't see it answered anywhere. (I even checked the FAQ and the Wiki!)

Will the default gui have a nice simple way to being up a console window? With a friendly bash prompt?

I ask because I hope to keep the default configuration as much as possible and I'm happy with a GUI designed primarily for easy game-launching, but at the same time I'm looking forward to having nice portable access to my favorite command line utilities.

since the distro is ubuntu based, there would be a terminal icon just like in Microsoft systems, but on linux systems you get 2 (root/normal) then if you want you can copy and paste on the desktop as usual :)

Last edited by a moderator:
paolo said:
since the distro is ubuntu based, there would be a terminal icon just like in Microsoft systems, but on linux systems you get 2 (root/normal) then if you want you can copy and paste on the desktop as usual :)
The FAQ says that the OS will be a heavily customized Debian.
The FAQ also says that the GUI will be GMenu.

So, no offense, but I don't think your answer is true at all.

I also see no reason why the Pandora would behave different than any other linux in that: Pressing ALT-CTRL-(F1-F6) wouldn't bring up a TTY console.

If there isn't one, it won't be too hard to get one of the 6 bilion terminal emulators on the pandora yourself.

mindlord said:
I also see no reason why the Pandora would behave different than any other linux in that: Pressing ALT-CTRL-(F1-F6) wouldn't bring up a TTY console.
That would be ideal. Except, of course, that the button layout probably won't have F-keys. Perhaps there's still a way to bring up the TTY consoles?

sindbad said:
If there isn't one, it won't be too hard to get one of the 6 bilion terminal emulators on the pandora yourself.

True enough.

No real Linux system (or any Unix-like) can exist without a terminal IMO.
I don't think the Pandora would be so popular if it wasn't as open as it is and the devs imposed some dumb software that didn't allow terminals.

VRAndy said:
That would be ideal. Except, of course, that the button layout probably won't have F-keys. Perhaps there's still a way to bring up the TTY consoles?
The F-Keys are Fn shiftable on the regular number buttons, from what I understand. And the shift/alt/ctrl buttons are "sticky" so you would hit alt, ctrl, fn, 1 in sequence, and that should work.

If it runs an X-server it'll have an xterm application available as soon as someone compiles one. Then you'll have a command line.

A command line is being used with the Pandora here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0YGgQ3S_X8

gp2xs said:

I thought so too when I first saw that. However, if you look at the bottom line of the display you can see this is in fact minicom (a terminal emulator) and is most likely running on a different machine hooked up to the Pandora's serial console port.

SteveM said:
gp2xs said:

I thought so too when I first saw that. However, if you look at the bottom line of the display you can see this is in fact minicom (a terminal emulator) and is most likely running on a different machine hooked up to the Pandora's serial console port.

It also could be a loop back connection.

How about something like Sterm (Termula2x) ?

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/STerm

Outside of using these third party apps I think that if a native command line is under the hood of the Pandora GUI we will be able to get to it.

Back