Coding On It

PoisonedV

Yeah, I'm a GIRL gamer, what of it?
Website
Visit site
Before this, I was going to buy a graphing calculator, because I know you could code on it, and since I like coding but my access to PC is limited, it would be cool. So, on these, can you code directly on the thing? If so, how easy is the typing and whatnot? Can you connect a keyboard? Is there a mini keyboard you canbuy at any stores, like at best buy? (Yes I know you have to have the chip to connect a keyboard)

PoisonedV posted on Oct 20 2006 at 10:09 PM said:
Before this, I was going to buy a graphing calculator, because I know you could code on it, and since I like coding but my access to PC is limited, it would be cool. So, on these, can you code directly on the thing? If so, how easy is the typing and whatnot? Can you connect a keyboard? Is there a mini keyboard you canbuy at any stores, like at best buy? (Yes I know you have to have the chip to connect a keyboard)

To my knowledge, no, you cannot code directly on the GP2X.

However, there is PROBABLY a text editor at the very least, and that would let you at least WRITE code, no?

And there are no 'official' keyboards to be bought at stores, however if you purchase/make an EXT-to-USB cable or the breakout box you can plug in just about any USB keyboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orkie posted on Oct 21 2006 at 10:13 AM said:
The GPE image has a text editor and a complete GCC toolchain built in.
I'm not surprised, but it's quite tacky to use, and most likely very slow and cumbersome without a BOB and a keyboard.

- Alex

Fishbong posted on Oct 21 2006 at 10:35 AM said:
You can code, but you can´t compile ;)
why not? just install gcc on the gp2x, and its no problem, it will not be terribly slow for anything but extremely large projects.

well.. people wrote LOTS of code on <200mhz pc's

however you may want to get a usb keyboard.

If you grab the BOB and a keyboard, you could do some serious coding right on the thing ;)

There's nothing stopping you from coding on the GP2X except the difficulties of finding a native compiler and setting it up .. as was mentioned earlier, the GPE image has a compiler that you might be able to use, as well as the Zaurus-gcc (OpenEmbedded) compiler, which I have used (devimage-style, which is a large file you mount over loopback and it gives you a compiler file-system ..)

The point is, you can do it, but its not for the timid or impatient. For sure, you'll have to be a bit of a geek to get it going .. with bonus points if you can get distcc set up too, heh heh ..

If you cannot get a compiler to work on the GP2X, then you can do your work on the device, and compile it on another computer.

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys. I'll definately look into some of those.

Not sure if you'd say it counts or not but you can also do some shell scripting. Use STerm and launch the Vi text editor and away you go!

For more info on what the shell can do (if you havn't used a Linux shell before) have a look here, here and here.

Have fun.

I am going to have a go compiling on the GP2X with BVRDE. This is a Windows IDE that works with the source files on the device, compiles them on the device (using whatever compiler you want), and then debugs it on the device (using GDB). The best thing is that you do it all through a Visual Studio 2005-like IDE on Windows.

Edit: Does anyone have make for arm-linux?

Back