Code::Blocks with C/C++ Compiler

Well, the repo got its shit together and started handing me data at a respectable speed, so now I've tried it.

First issue report, the auto-complete still seems a bit messed up. Rather than inserting the selected code when enter is pressed, it just jumps to the next line.

For my yactfeau VM image, some have shared a torrent for a few weeks to allow most getting it without that download pain... Care to share it faster ?

I'd like to download it, but it's way too big to justify using the SD space. Sorry, but there's just too much cruft installed. I mean, you added demos to it?

Staying with the previous version.

D.

Well, the repo got its shit together and started handing me data at a respectable speed, so now I've tried it.

First issue report, the auto-complete still seems a bit messed up. Rather than inserting the selected code when enter is pressed, it just jumps to the next line.
Yes, I have noticed that. I tried to fix it but failed. Tab works and numpad enter (using external keyboard) too. Something is trapping the key but I haven't found what.

I'd like to download it, but it's way too big to justify using the SD space. Sorry, but there's just too much cruft installed. I mean, you added demos to it?

Staying with the previous version.

D.
Yes Qt demos are included, it was a request. I'll probably remove them next time.

I still think that this should be broken down into multiple PNDs.

Have a CodeBlocks PND, gcc PND, python PND etc.

You can use the pnd_run.sh to mount other PNDs even without running an "application"

It also means you could update CodeBlocks, or QtCreator without having to release another huge PND

I still think that this should be broken down into multiple PNDs.

Have a CodeBlocks PND, gcc PND, python PND etc.

You can use the pnd_run.sh to mount other PNDs even without running an "application"

It also means you could update CodeBlocks, or QtCreator without having to release another huge PND
Sometimes projects contains bits of python and bits of C, as you know. I prefer to have it all together.

And I still don't understand why the size is a problem ?

Last edited by a moderator:
And I still don't understand why the size is a problem ?
You don't need to understand to appreciate that space is an issue for some people.
But as a couple of people have mentioned about download times on slow connections, why force them to download 1.5GB (or whatever it is) if all they want is C++ and CodeBlocks for example?

You know, Skeezix just to comment on how I, with my Windows background, wanted monolithic things - like all the network tools to be in the same app, rather than nm-applet, nm-connection-editor etc., and that the "*nix way" was all about doing a single job. I've come to appreciate that sentiment, and, well, this PND is kind of the "Windows of PNDs".

You know, Skeezix just to comment on how I, with my Windows background, wanted monolithic things - like all the network tools to be in the same app, rather than nm-applet, nm-connection-editor etc., and that the "*nix way" was all about doing a single job. I've come to appreciate that sentiment, and, well, this PND is kind of the "Windows of PNDs".
All PNDs are "windows-like" anyway, since most of them include redundant libraries nowadays instead of sharing them across applications. This is not new.

And about the size, this is a one-time download. Do it now, and then the next update may be in next year. What's the big deal ? And if you want only a C/C++ compiler you can stay with the current one, it still works very well.  

I don't see people complaining when they have to download gigabytes for games. But somehow for utilities it's a scandal ? :p

So, if ptitSeb fixes the autocomplete bug, going to have to wait a year and redownload 1.5Gb?

The size isn't really that big a deal for me, but that wasn't really the point of my comment. Some people have speed and also data caps on their connection.

I don't know about the games thing, none of the other PNDs on my SD card comes close to the size of CB.

A PND of that size is a significant chunk of my free space! I currently run 2x32GB SD cards and cannot justify buying more - I have a very small child and all my cash goes into making sure he's fed and watered and clothed.

I currently have roughly 2GB free on each card, so don't really want to encroach on that.

D.

A PND of that size is a significant chunk of my free space! I currently run 2x32GB SD cards and cannot justify buying more - I have a very small child and all my cash goes into making sure he's fed and watered and clothed.I currently have roughly 2GB free on each card, so don't really want to encroach on that.D.
Cant you make some space on your sd cards?

So, if ptitSeb fixes the autocomplete bug, going to have to wait a year and redownload 1.5Gb?The size isn't really that big a deal for me, but that wasn't really the point of my comment. Some people have speed and also data caps on their connection.I don't know about the games thing, none of the other PNDs on my SD card comes close to the size of CB.
Well if you have data caps go to mcdonalds or star bucks and enjoy their free wifi.

Freespace comes to mind as a big game once you install the data files. I havent seen anyone complaining about that.

Maybe this could be improved with having "addon" PNDs?

e.g. The codeblocks PND contains a basic set of libs and g++/gdb and codeblocks.

Some of the more exotic things could be provided in a secondary PND that the main PND can look for at startup?

Or if not a PND itself then a RAW squashfs file that can be placed into the the appdata folder?

I don't have an issue with the large filesize as such... but rather things could be done to make it more comfortable (The talk about diffed updated, etc)

A PND of that size is a significant chunk of my free space! I currently run 2x32GB SD cards and cannot justify buying more - I have a very small child and all my cash goes into making sure he's fed and watered and clothed.I currently have roughly 2GB free on each card, so don't really want to encroach on that.D.
Cant you make some space on your sd cards?
How? Is there some magical delete function that makes space and lets me keep all my files, ROMs, development sources etc?

D.

How? Is there some magical delete function that makes space and lets me keep all my files, ROMs, development sources etc?
Do you need to keep all your ROMs/sources/files at the same time on your SD card? I usually remove the ones I dont use often and I can manage my space fine with the same 2*32Gb config.

Do you need to keep all your ROMs/sources/files at the same time on your SD card? I usually remove the ones I dont use often and I can manage my space fine with the same 2*32Gb config.
Well... yes. It's portable and I'm not ever near my PC when I use it.

D.

Size of the file doesn't bother me so much, but there is some merit in having a divided set of PNDs in that it makes minor updates and fixes much easier, as you don't have to rebuilt a gargantuan PND every time.

I mirror the repository, you can download codeblocks here if the repo is over burdened:

http://a2.pandoria.org/pnd/codeblocks.pnd

If you are able to use zsync, you can update your codeblocks.pnd without downloading all the data again:

apt-get install zsync   # or build it on your pandora using codeblocks

zsync http://a2.pandoria.org/zsync/codeblocks.pnd.zsync

zsync is based on rsync, and works surprisingly well for squashfs pnds

Sorry for the mangled URL, I don't know how to prevent our forum software from breaking it, use copy link location to get the URL.

For what it's worth, I like having the whole dev kit in one pnd.

ZXDunny it would not be very difficult for you to remove extra stuff from the codeblocks PNDs and rebuild the PND. But for me it's not worth it. A developer can afford to use a few gigabytes for the toolkit. If all else fails, buy another SD card and swap them in and out. Maybe one for the "system" (stuff you always want available), one for games, one for development, one for media, etc. If you need more space for development, buy another or larger SD card. SD cards are the floppy disks of the Pandora :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back