Clonk2x Update Soon!

Daid

Website
Visit site
When I scrolled trough my GP2X games a few days back I noticed my Clonk port again. I played it a bit, and got frustrated :D

So I am going to update some things ;)

Not by the controls, I am used to those. Sorry for all those people that want new 'rage' controls (latest clonk features a much easier controll mode) basicly because the input system is a mess. I currently 'chop' it off at the highest level. And the new control mode would need to know what the clonk is doing. Which would result in a huge mess.

No, I am going to do some other things. I noticed the game slows down by as much as 60% when you get rain. Quick look around in the code and I noticed a shitload of floating point (while the rest of the game is fixed point) so I will update that to fixed point. Which should improve speed a lot while raining.

I'm also going to kick the frontend again. I just need a GP2X based level editor. I'm removing a few features (selection of other players/object packs) in favor for some easier handling of the scenario selection.

Daid said:
When I scrolled trough my GP2X games a few days back I noticed my Clonk port again. I played it a bit, and got frustrated :D

So I am going to update some things ;)

Not by the controls, I am used to those. Sorry for all those people that want new 'rage' controls (latest clonk features a much easier controll mode) basicly because the input system is a mess. I currently 'chop' it off at the highest level. And the new control mode would need to know what the clonk is doing. Which would result in a huge mess.

No, I am going to do some other things. I noticed the game slows down by as much as 60% when you get rain. Quick look around in the code and I noticed a shitload of floating point (while the rest of the game is fixed point) so I will update that to fixed point. Which should improve speed a lot while raining.

I'm also going to kick the frontend again. I just need a GP2X based level editor. I'm removing a few features (selection of other players/object packs) in favor for some easier handling of the scenario selection.
Thanks Daid! Some of the large maps slows the game down considerably. Hopefully this will also be taken care by your fixes? Thanks again for the wonderful port.

Last edited by a moderator:
slashank said:
Thanks Daid! Some of the large maps slows the game down considerably. Hopefully this will also be taken care by your fixes? Thanks again for the wonderful port.
Whoa, no need to quote everything ;)

And the main reason why large maps slow down is because there are a shitload of objects. Turn down the 'amount of objects in earth' to almost 0, that helps a lot. (currently can only be done on the windows client, that's why I want the scenario editor) And with a wider map, there is more rain. However, you should turn off rain, as it slows down the game a lot right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see others bringing back older projects as well. :)
This is a very impressive game btw! Good work with the port.

I could use 1 or 2 testers. Any takers?

I had some trouble compiling the old engine again, but that seems to work now. Also changed a few other things, like Clonks can always scale walls, and a "ShakeFree" command in the select menu, so you can get yourself lose when you are stuck hanging in a single dirt pixel.
The rain improvement works great. Game runs much smoother now.

Here is a 3x3 preview of the new frontend:
http://daid.mine.nu/pub/ClonkFront.jpg
(not as image, as it will fuck up the forum layout I guess)
Environment button has a * because I still need to do that one. The rest is there and working. That should give this frontend about the same editing features as the default ClonkPlanet scenario editor.

I'm secretly already thinking about a few advanced editing features, as free drawable maps, changing the materials used for stuff (for example, make it rain acid/dirt/lava. Or make a lava lake) but I'll release this first when it is done.

Only features that are missing right now are:
-New maps: only can edit maps already there, planning to add this.
-Environment settings: Animals,Nests,Plants,Objects in earth. (Just need to create menus for this)

Back