Classic Pandora as an MP3 -player?

Yes, but I don't think deadbeef allows you to assign keyboard modifiers to controls (which is how they appear to Pandora programs; as one of the shift and ctrl keys).  And I don't think it lets you assign multiple controls to the same key, and differentiate them using how you press the key, such as a series of bursts, or holding it down or something.  So you could only ever have two controls using two keys, and play/pause would probably need to be one of them, meaning you could only skip or ff using the other key.

However, I use deadbeef, and I have assigned controls to the bottom row of keys, so I don't need to open my pandora far to control it.

BTW I just realized another 'problem' with a Pandora is that it has only two buttons with a closed lid - I am not sure if there is a program that utilizes them when it is closed. Try skipping or FF an mp3 on a Pandora without getting it our of your pocket and opening it. With a 'rockboxed' clip including voice files you can manipulate anything without ever looking at the screen using a couple of buttons on an mp3 player (even accessing something like the equalizer settings). 

Edit: I wouldn't recommend wearing headphones when cycling on public roads, fwiw.

Deaf people ride bikes too and what about folks in cars?
There is blindplayer \(^-^)/

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: I wouldn't recommend wearing headphones when cycling on public roads, fwiw.
I recommend not riding a bicycle or driving if you are blind. Sorry for my intolerance, blind people.
I was refering to this :

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=blindplayer
In my rush to edit the post for readability I neglected to add :p

I recommend not riding a bicycle or driving if you are blind. Sorry for my intolerance, blind people.
 I was refering to this :

Did you quote the wrong post? You quoted an OT post about the dangers of cycling while listening to music on headphones, and I don't see how that app helps.

However, it looks like a useful answer to the question about how to control music while your pandora is in your pocket, which is also under discussion, just not in the post you quoted.

I was refering to this :

Did you quote the wrong post? You quoted an OT post about the dangers of cycling while listening to music on headphones, and I don't see how that app helps.

However, it looks like a useful answer to the question about how to control music while your pandora is in your pocket, which is also under discussion, just not in the post you quoted.
ekianjo quoted the whole post, which mentioned controlling the Pandora while closed.  I only quoted the end of it, so that is on me.

My headset works with Android devices, and I thought iPhones and such used a different standard
Unfortunately Apple did such a good marketing campaign that many (most?) Android manufacturers had to switch to it as well, else be inundated with complaints about how their headphone "doesn't work", just as we on the Pandora forum constantly are.

Damn you, Apple!  Stop messing things up for people that aren't your customers.

how to control music while your pandora is in your pocket,
While it's certainly an option, I found that using it this way in one's pocket is not great because of the position of the said shoulder buttons. I'm still thinking about how to make thins a little more practical in that regard.

how to control music while your pandora is in your pocket,
While it's certainly an option, I found that using it this way in one's pocket is not great because of the position of the said shoulder buttons. I'm still thinking about how to make thins a little more practical in that regard.
A phone cable remote should work. We just need the software for that.

any model in mind ?
Not really, i dont exactly know how they work. 
I was just reading about this while trying to figure out if my headset is an Apple one or not.  I already forgot what I read since I figured I would not need the info anytime soon, so I will try to say what I think I remember and go look for more accurate technical documentation.  If some headsets don't work with the Pandora it wouldn't surprise me if inline controls don't. I would really like these inline control features to work with the Pyra when it ships, but lack any sort of usable programming skills, however I really want to help make it happen if it isn't already being handled.  I am not sure if any of the following is accurate.

Supposedly someone cut open a couple of headsets and found that the pinout was identical, but that apple had done something a little different to force customers to buy accessories designed for their products (most likely from them...I remember reading talk about patents and such, and what they had done eliminated competition as the only products on the market for their stuff would be licensed from them).  There was a difference in resistance or something that made controls function differently.  I stopped looking after reading a few pages since it didn't seem to matter, and someone had already explained it here (am I even in the right thread, where this discussion took place?).

I am sure someone else knows more than I do, and how they actually function.  I am willing to gather whatever publicly available information I can find to help with this.  I don't know what the typical controls are or what the signal is, or if it would be difficult to set custom actions regardless of the signal sent (if it is supposed to pause make it do something else instead...I don't know what kind of signal is actually sent, or what information it has, but my guess is that it would be something rather basic, such as the resistance I mentioned above).

Sorry for the major off topic stuff.

any model in mind ?
Not really, i dont exactly know how they work. 
Don't think they will work on the Pandora, they typically work by modulating a pulse on the microphone line and usually an IC in the audio circuity decodes these faint signals as specific keypresses from the buttons on the headset controls. I don't believe the Pandora has an IC like this.  The Pyra however I believe will as it has a chip that will not only detect if it's using an Apple style headset or a traditional one, but has a decoder for the button controls... I'm not sure out of the box the Pyra will know how to handle these keypresses, but something to fool around with. I know I stumbled on it and had a PDF of that chip... just need to re-find it...

Don't think they will work on the Pandora, they typically work by modulating a pulse on the microphone line and usually an IC in the audio circuity decodes these faint signals as specific keypresses from the buttons on the headset controls. I don't believe the Pandora has an IC like this.  The Pyra however I believe will as it has a chip that will not only detect if it's using an Apple style headset or a traditional one, but has a decoder for the button controls... I'm not sure out of the box the Pyra will know how to handle these keypresses, but something to fool around with. I know I stumbled on it and had a PDF of that chip... just need to re-find it...
The IC is most likely there to save processing power, permanently analysing what the Microphone line says is probably horrible performance wise.

I think this signals are detectable on our soundcard and we just need to scan for them.

I dont have a remote so i cant tell tho.

The other option would be to create this ourselfes. Since we dont use the mic line we dont have to use _faint_ signals. 

By the way: how is the Bluetooth Streaming on Classic Pandorae yet?? , I have some Bluetooth Headphones for sports, and so i could use the Pandora/Pyra as an Musikstation

Just in case, the Space on my Ipod is to low in the next yeahr..

Edit:

The other way would also be nice: use the Pandora/Pyra Speaker as an Bluetooth Speaker, but i dosnt know how to make this

Pandora is too bulky for me to use as a portable mp3 player. For the home stereo it does a great job of playing my flacs and mp3s.

Back