GP2X Civilization

Lemuriamu

Still Fresh
Sorry if I'm stressing you once again , but I would like to understand if an easy port of Civilization ( free CIV i.e ) should be possible .
Thanks guys,

God bless the GP2X :D

maybe but freeCiv is an Java game. so jou need a VM for the GP.
Maybe you could use the VM for Linux an run it without any changes. But i don't this it is very playable.

freeciv is C it uses the gtk library, its freecol you are thinking about.

MIK posted on Oct 5 2005 at 11:31 AM said:
maybe but freeCiv is an Java game. so jou need a VM for the GP.
Maybe you could use the VM for Linux an run it without any changes. But i don't this it is very playable.

Actually freeciv is completely written in C. It also has an SDL frontend; the only problem is it probably requires a big drawing area for all the interface and the map...

Last edited by a moderator:
So !!! If PocketPC Linux Port has already done mans that it will be surely traslate to the GPX2 ... Who will be able to do the work ? We will see...
For the time being is enough!

Thanks!

FreeCiv should be portable over, though I also worry about screen fit. Still, if the original Civ ran on 320x200, should be workable. (Also, you coudl fire it up in CaSTaway of course :)

With zodttd along, maybe he'll bring over TTD.. Civ and TTD .. yum :)

jeff

Well, there's a CIV II made for NGage... Maybe the company who did that could be "persuaded"...

...now, where did I put my persuadertron? :unsure:

Well, FreeCiv IS based on Civ 2, supports both isometric and classic 2D view, is C++ and SDL, what else do you need more?!?

Digital Awakening posted on Oct 6 2005 at 06:06 PM said:
Judging from the file name: "Freeciv-2.0.6-win32-gtk2-setup.exe". I say it's made in GTK2...

Well, yeah, but that's a library, why shouldn't it work on gp2x Linux?

Last edited:
Digital Awakening posted on Oct 7 2005 at 08:09 AM said:
Just saying it's not SDL :)

If you look at the source, you can see it is structured as two distinct processes, a "server" which contains all the logic and the game status (and is OS-independent), and a "client" which displays the graphics, manages user input and talks back to the server. There are many clients, one for X/GTK2, one for X/GTK1, one win32, one for SDL, and some others.

Sadly, the SDL client is a work in progress, and does not even compile :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back