Which Software to Play Civilization (PC version?)

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
A quick question - I would like to play Civilization (the first one - PC version) and apparently it does not work with Dosbox EX (image disk is not working when loading, after renaming...)

Has anyone tried with the other DosBox ? Does it work ? Does the Mouse work, especially ?

Or should I just go through the pain of making a Qemu image just for that?

Let me know what you guys recommend :)

Thanks.

They're called Freeciv and Freecol, not "open civ" and not "open col"... not what the topic's about, I know, but I just find it weird that both of you are misnaming these games.

Unless you're actually talking about Open Civilization, which is listed as "planning" on sourceforge and hasn't been updated in 5 years (i.e. it's vaporware).

They're called Freeciv and Freecol, not "open civ" and not "open col"... not what the topic's about, I know, but I just find it weird that both of you are misnaming these games.

Unless you're actually talking about Open Civilization, which is listed as "planning" on sourceforge and hasn't been updated in 5 years (i.e. it's vaporware).

My mistake, yeah I was talking about FreeCiv and FreeCol. I have never found any of them good enough to replace the originals.

So, back to my question, anybody knows what would be the best way to run Civilization1?

Have you tried QEMU? It can emulate anything from MS-Dos to Win 95. You should be able to get Civ up and running on that.

I'd have to think DOSBOX/QEMIU would run the DOS version fine. There is an AMIGA version as well so UA4ALL for that.

I have the DOS Version backed up on a CD somewhere I can confirm for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's an AGA version of the Amiga one, which should be pretty close to the PC version I'd imagine? ;)

confirmed it works fine on DOSBOX for me. Although I used a copy of the game zipped up from the hard drive of my old 386 not from the floppy disc install.

Last edited by a moderator:
AFAIK, you're never going to get the mouse working perfectly in DOSBox with the touchscreen, just because of how it works. If you experience the mouse jumping around, someone has posted a config file somewhere that apparently fixes that (I'll try to find it later if nobody else does), and if the mouse is trapped in a box, you can switch out and back in to fullscreen to fix it.

But if you want to use the touchscreen, your best bet is either Qemu, or try the Amiga version.

The mouse won't work in qemu dosversion though. Keep that in mind. You will have to use the nubs.

Back