Cinnamon as the official desktop?

second exodous

Advanced Member
I thought I'd just throw this out there, but how about using Cinnamon as the official desktop OS?  It is very clean and user friendly and for a touch interface it shares a lot of code with Gnome 3, a crappy desktop OS but a pretty decent touch OS.  It is actually a fork of Gnome 3.  If you want to try it out and see what it is like just load up Linux Mint off of a live CD/USB, it is being developed by the same team and is their main desktop.

It takes too much time to init. Fuc**** 30 seconds vs Enlightenment's 2~4 seconds or XFCE's few seconds.

If they improve this time, I have no objection. But I doubt they will.

Cinnamon is a bit heavier than Xfce4.. Even on my desktop I use it over cinnamon. .

If the OS is really going to be Debian, then you just can apt-get install cinnamon and be happy (if the internal memory allows it... its kinda huge...).

Personally I like mate more.

I'm personally of the opinion to keep Xfce. It's small, lightweight, and easy to understand for new users. Then, as FBnil mentioned, anyone who wants to use something else (KDE, Gnome, mate, e17, fluxbox, cinnamon, etc.) can just install it from the repo.

-God Ginrai

Yeah, hearing the possible switch to Debian got me excited, this does mean a lot of things will be a lot simpler to do like try out other desktops. The screen resolution was also a a deterrent from trying anything else on the Pandora but with 1080i/p this shouldn't be a problem. Although I see myself using a full desktop when hooked up to a monitor and something lighter when not which is why I thought Cinnamon for desktop and Gnome 4ish something on screen.

I hope any modern desktop will run well with a dual 1.7ghz processor also. It seemed to run KDE fine in the video.

KDE or E18 on debian for me :)
I didn't even realize they were on e18 yet. XD I may dabble with e18 on my Pyra if people seem to be having good results on it. I've always been interested in creating an experience similar to Altimit OS from .hack//, and I believe enlightenment is configurable enough for me to do so.

-God Ginrai

Cinnamon?  No thank you.

Gnome 3+?  No thank you.

KDE?  No thank you.

All of the above seem to take the view that the 'UI is the objective' and pack a whole lot of junk that I don't need.  Keep the OS out of your/my applications please.

Debian with xfce is perfect.  In fact, it's looking favorable for Debian Jessie to have xfce as the default UI when it goes stable.

Xfce by default was a good idea in general and still is.

I'd consider installing mate afterwards, maybe.

I'd be interested to see where Lxde has gone.  Last time I tried it it was a lot lighter in terms of memory used than Xfce, but that was very early alpha and it had plenty of bugs (it didn't help that I was using it on a Fedora machine, and at the time the Fedora repos were well behind the curve wrt Lxde).

Thinking about Pyra being fullHD...

maybe Mate by default would look and sell much better and I would change to it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking about Pyra being fullHD...

maybe Mate by default would look and sell much better and I would change to it anyway.
If we were looking for eye-candy in the default DE, wouldn't we just use E? Honestly, I don't see any reason to abandon Xfce as the default.

-God Ginrai

Please open this wiki page of Xfce, scroll down and look to the right...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xfce

FEEL the love for Xfce! (and like I said, you can, just like you can boot and get your own distro in Pandora, install anything you want on it later...)

Back