Chromium Installation Guide

How does Firefox preform? I'm addicted to it on my PC, can't live without the plug-ins. Is it really slow? I might have to switch to whatever browser I use on my Pandora just so I can use all the same stuff. I've only used Chromium a few times and didn't really like it. Speed on my desktop doesn't matter to me that much but then again it's not sluggish either but if Firefox is sluggish on the Pandora I don't think I'll use it.

PokeParadox said:
Tried Chromium, but it's giving me problems with https urls and also I can't get it to login to sync my bookmarks...

Heeeelp? :)

Getting the same issue on the beagleboard.. looking into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
second exodous said:
How does Firefox preform? I'm addicted to it on my PC, can't live without the plug-ins. Is it really slow? I might have to switch to whatever browser I use on my Pandora just so I can use all the same stuff. I've only used Chromium a few times and didn't really like it. Speed on my desktop doesn't matter to me that much but then again it's not sluggish either but if Firefox is sluggish on the Pandora I don't think I'll use it.

It performs well for me - as good as Midori or Aurora. But based on those, javascript is kind of a bottleneck (on the Pandora generally). I need to take Chromium out for a walk on the net and see how it fares.

I know I am a minority here... but ED... could you please pnd Google Chrome also? Or how would I do it via opkg?

HackModford said:
I know I am a minority here... but ED... could you please pnd Google Chrome also? Or how would I do it via opkg?

Google Chrome is closed source. I think they're releasing an ARM version though.

Also, Chromium is the exact same program!

Google Chrome has an silent auto-update system, but it wouldn't work with a PND anyway. The only thing you would get is a different icon!

SomeGuy99 said:
second exodous said:

It performs well for me - as good as Midori or Aurora. But based on those, javascript is kind of a bottleneck (on the Pandora generally). I need to take Chromium out for a walk on the net and see how it fares.
Ah, good to hear. What add-ons have you tried? Ad-block and flashblock being the most important for me. Well, flashblock won't be needed on the Pandora for the time being I think. Download Statusbar might be a mixed bag as it adds to the size of the window so it might be better just having the downloads in a new windows. Gmail Notifier would be handy also but if there is another app to handle that I might use that.

mali said:
^ Be warned that Adblock will most likely reduce performance, not increase it.

I'll give it a try later today. I ordered a Huawei e160 3g usb adapter last week, so it'll be interesting if it's plug in and play (it's in the Pandora compatibility list)?

Ed - thanks for PNDing them, far better than installing to the NAND.

I've not had any success at installing Blueman bluetooth manager, I'm hopeful that it'll allow me to use my phone as an ad-hoc wifi spot with Jokiuspot.

PokeParadox - I think the https:// SSL issue is due to the fact it's an older version of Chromium. Later versions fix the issue, but aren't available on Ångström yet.

YOUTUBE!

One option might be Totem media player with its YouTube plugin? totem-plugin-youtube

Totem and the plugin installed ok for me but it wouldn't return results from YouTube, saying to check that the libgdata library was up to date.. as far as I'm aware it was but I'm completely new to Linux.

Might be a route worth trying for someone more knowledgeable than me.

Prometheus said:
Why so, mali?
Dunno, it does so on my N800. Must have something todo with the technique used to remove adds. Pandora should be more powerful than my ARM11 device, but I'm not sure Adblock will make rendering faster.

ste_167 said:
mali said:
^ Be warned that Adblock will most likely reduce performance, not increase it.

I'll give it a try later today. I ordered a Huawei e160 3g usb adapter last week, so it'll be interesting if it's plug in and play (it's in the Pandora compatibility list)?

Ed - thanks for PNDing them, far better than installing to the NAND.

I've not had any success at installing Blueman bluetooth manager, I'm hopeful that it'll allow me to use my phone as an ad-hoc wifi spot with Jokiuspot.

PokeParadox - I think the https:// SSL issue is due to the fact it's an older version of Chromium. Later versions fix the issue, but aren't available on Ångström yet.

YOUTUBE!

One option might be Totem media player with its YouTube plugin? totem-plugin-youtube

Totem and the plugin installed ok for me but it wouldn't return results from YouTube, saying to check that the libgdata library was up to date.. as far as I'm aware it was but I'm completely new to Linux.

Might be a route worth trying for someone more knowledgeable than me.

hell man i tried to get totem working as well ,it installed and didn't appear ,i was thinking the same thing ,youtube plugin for it is great and i urge someone who knows more than me to try and get it working and pnd it becase it rocks.

paddy said:
hell man i tried to get totem working as well ,it installed and didn't appear ,i was thinking the same thing ,youtube plugin for it is great and i urge someone who knows more than me to try and get it working and pnd it becase it rocks.

The exe is in the usr/bin folder. It starts ok, and I was able to run the YouTube plugin, but when I searched it wouldn't return any YouTube results.

For Chromium there is nice extension for touchscreen users:
chromeTouch

Allows you to scroll with dragging the body of the page, well known behavior of touch enabled handset browsers.

laurens said:
Loving chrome, but it seems as if I can't install this plugin - chromium crashes when I try to install the plugin.

Yeah, it's the SSL issue :-/

ste_167 said:
laurens said:
Loving chrome, but it seems as if I can't install this plugin - chromium crashes when I try to install the plugin.

Yeah, it's the SSL issue :-/

I think it's something different, as I'm trying to install it from http://www.chromeextensions.org/appearance-functioning/chrometouch/

Back