Chrome book pixel

Seems like the real negative here is that it runs Chrome OS...  You don't need that fancy screen or all that power to run web apps...  It has great specs but where will the software come from?

Last edited by a moderator:
What?! Over a grand for something that's glued to advertising - I mean... the internet. 3:2 aspect ratio on the screen too, wtf?

I guess it might suit somebody, but not me

for this you really don't want chrome and android to converge... I mean you still might, but I don't think it's what you think it's going to be like...

That would be bad in the same way windows RT is bad.... software compatibility. But it's the exact opposite situation of windows rt vs windows xp/7/8 architecture wise.

Developers are getting in the habit of writing x86 compatable builds for apps in android that use the NDK (assembly, c++, etc), some retro console emulators for example have both armv7 and x86 builds bundled together in the same apk, but for the vast majority, as of right now, only a small fraction of the "really good" software on arm android is available on x86 android. I don't see this changing anytime soon.

One thing that would be smart ..... and I'm going out on a very long limb... so far that I am probably beyond my own bounds of what some may consider "reality" lol, but maybe, just maybe, build an arm emulator inside of android for these x86 machines... so they can properly run apps written for arm.... I'm not sure if you would have to actually run a full build of android inside of android or not, or if you could just do like a compatibility layer similar to wine but instead of libraries it would be architecture... not even sure if something like that would be feasible, but if it was... then it would open the door on full total convergence of the two at least on x86 hardware running this chrome/android hybrid monstrosity.

that... or just port chomeos to like a transformer or other arm based laptop and converge away.

I dunno, the 3:2 ratio sounds pretty cool to me.  I am sick of widescreens and prefer more vertical space.

Has anyone used Chrome OS much?  Seems like all the "good" software is written for Android, not Chrome.

i got in on the 100k?? chomebook beta test they gave away for free a while back. It is pretty neat.. but it really is just a browser with html5 applets you get in chrome now. Not a whole lot more, maybe a file browser and some crap utilities. It's main drive is a dedicated piece of hardware for a browser.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/

and to answer your question, you have to put the chromebook in developer mode, flash a new bios that's not locked down... think jailbreaking your pc lol... and then you can install windows or hackintosh or linux or whatever you want... it's a normal computer after you flash a proper bios, you can always falsh back in the future if you wish to go back

EDIT: here's the instructions for example on a cr-48 (the first chromebook) guaranteed the files will be different, but the process should be similar

http://cr-48.wikispaces.com/Flash+BIOS

Are the drivers going to be part of the mainstream Linux kernel?

If so, thats a very nice laptop :)

Looks like an interesting direction for Google, a little to expensive for my tastes & why on earth have they not used USB3 instead of USB2?

Windows 8 ?  :unsure:

I guess there are other options with Windows 8 though

I'm completely underwhelmed.  The design is nice, but for that amount of cash, I can get much greater specs.  Yikes.

However, the design is nice.  And I'd love to have this machine with Ubuntu running on it with full support of everything right now.  Just, not for that amount of cash.

Sheesh.

It is just another device for hipsters and rich kids on drugs.

For a 1449 USD you can get basically a workstation/high end business (Lenovo, Dell, HP) or gaming (ASUS ROG series) class laptop.

And Chrome OS is a completely crap in regards of privacy. All that you get is public cloud and "social media" (antisocial media) bullshits... if this is the future of computers I am gonna commit suicide.

It is just another device for hipsters and rich kids on drugs.

For a 1449 USD you can get basically a workstation/high end business (Lenovo, Dell, HP) or gaming (ASUS ROG series) class laptop.

And Chrome OS is a completely crap in regards of privacy. All that you get is public cloud and "social media" (antisocial media) bullshits... if this is the future of computers I am gonna commit suicide.
At least the girl's hand and fingers are nice  :p

wow, it looks great... too bad I could only justify the cost if I could use that for work but chromeOS prohibit that for me...

urg! Fedora..  I try avoiding Red Hat whenever possible

The screen is really sexy but surely other enterprises will follow eventually. I wish they would hurry and upgade resolution of 24 inch TFTs. Thats something really making sense

Back