Choose Your Mod :)

squidge! or maybe skeezix...... or maybe vimacs or davec.....

It's a tough job, i'm glad I don't have to do it.

Now, off to learn SDL so I can take that first prize in the coding contest.....

:rolleyes: Back on topic. :rolleyes:

Give the job to Vimacs or TelCo_Lou.

But please don't make the devs do it. It's enough that they spend a lot of their own time coding for our benefit, I wouldn't make them to moderate the boards as well. If they wanted to do it fair enough. :)

I'd love it if Squidge were to become a mod, but only on the basis that these days he seems to spend quite a lot of time here anyway (and therefore hopefully it wouldn't be too much of an extra pressure).

Skeezix is just as good in terms of being a level-headed poster who tends to be fairly balanced (and therefore presumably have decent judgment when it comes to deciding when something has gone too far), though he doesn't *seem* to be around that much these days.

I wouldn't really be for Vimacs, I'm afraid to say, as whilst he seems to spend a lot of time here, and post mostly sensibly, he does (from memory) seem to be a little flame-prone, and whislt I don't believe flame-prone people automatically make bad mods, I do think they're more likely to end up so. Same goes for DaveC - whilst he believes himself to be balanced, most are fairly sure that he isn't quite as much as he might be.

So who else?

Radek seems like a sensible sort, as does Rayek (despite recommending himself - tut tut!), and both seem to spend a lot of time here. Equally, Eolair tends to post fairly balanced bits of text - again a good starting point for being a balanced mod imo - and also seems to be around quite a lot.

Just look at the usage stats and approach people who already spend a lot of time here, and who seem to be sensible, imo. Some will say no - some might not...

Choosing good mods is a hard task. Im not going to nominate anyone, as my opinion will just be fought with by some people anyway. Just look for a person that wont flame, and do a good job. Oh, and be here a little more then ED or hando is :D

I think TelcoLou would be a great candidate. I don't believe he codes for the GP2X, so he spends more time in the forums. Also, from my impression of him, he understands when a noob could generally use some help getting aquainted with the community, when you can have some fun, and when a thread has just gotten out of hand to where it needs to be closed.

I also think Squidge and Skeezix would be good choices, but that is only if they are willing to devote the time required to becoming a mod. (Frankly, I'd rather they not do it and spend more time making great apps :D , or, in addition, choose another mod who will actually reduce the work load for the current mods)

Vimacs, I don't think would be a good choice. I know he contributes to the dev community and is very capable of thoughtful and intelligent posts, but he isn't very nice to the noobs ;) . I know many posts from newcomers are repetitive, vain, or uniformed, but it takes some time to get aquainted with this community, and Vimacs isn't too understanding of that fact (at least not enough help them out).

jeez, what a depressing thread!

Anyone who proposes themselves should be out straight away. Even though they have demonstrated a wish for the job, their motives seem to be for power, and everyone knows a heavy handed power mad mod can kill a forum!

Squidge and Skeeziz-excellent choices. But what about Mark, or Badtoad? Both sensible guys. Or warmandfluffyUK?

Yeah, well I'm going to offer my services anyway. Not for power, but rather because I tend to read most of the threads here without actually posting in them. I only post if I have something genuinely useful to say.

I think that lurkers make the best mods personally. Mods that express their opinion too often tend to get people a bit riled up when they have to close a flamewar.

That said, I don't care about being a mod, I'm just offering if I'm wanted / needed.

I'm wearing a rather smart 3 buttoned suit, a Van Heusen shirt and block toe chelsea boots.

Is that mod enough?

WrongEyedJesus posted on Feb 2 2006 at 11:14 AM said:
I'm wearing a rather smart 3 buttoned suit, a Van Heusen shirt and block toe chelsea boots.

Is that mod enough?

that depends. whats your girlfriend wearing?

Last edited by a moderator:
WrongEyedJesus posted on Feb 2 2006 at 01:38 PM said:
Mary Quant mini, tight cut bob and this

great .. so i vote your girlfriend gets mod status ..

Iorgy77 posted on Feb 2 2006 at 09:28 AM said:
Maybe mods could be given different sections to moderate.

Not a bad idea...

I disagree about vimacs being a lamer flamer.... He's cooled down a lot since last year, and I think he would be a good choice.

Squidge, but he has to develop stuff so.... uhh.... No skill (just because he started the wonderfull wiki, wait he did right?:)

Its kinda funny because I got this account from BugMeNot and I have never had a GP32 or GP2X (but hopefully getting one soon)

Back