Chocolate Doom..?

andyhamer

Probably the mother of all stupid questions, but what am i supposed to do with this?

I am THE person who has never played Doom, if i need to be buying the game can someone suggest where to buy a digital version (G.O.G doesn't have ANY versions)

Thanks.

You're going to need doom.wad or doom2.wad (or any other iwad file of a game supported by Chocolate Doom).

Have you checked on steam?

[edit]The zdoom page on obtaining IWADs has some more links to free demo versions and where to buy legal full versions.[/edit].

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes to play the original you need the demo version wad or the full wad.

Check the doomrunner PND, as it already has the demo wad of doom and the freedoom wad which is great itself.

There is no documentation, how can I run doom.wad from this ? If I select the file with pickle launcher it does nothing... I see there seems to be some parameters in the launcher entries but I can't change them... I'm lost...

freedoom wad

That won't work on Chocolate Doom unless you use it with a PWAD that replaces all of the levels. The Freedoom levels need a Boom-compatible engine, e.g. PrBoom.

Chocolate Doom is intended to be as close to the original engine as possible; I'm pretty sure the biggest purpose for this is to play PWADs that were designed for the original engine's quirks and limitations. If you're just playing regular Doom, you don't need it. Just use DoomRunner/PrBoom.

freedoom wad

That won't work on Chocolate Doom unless you use it with a PWAD that replaces all of the levels. The Freedoom levels need a Boom-compatible engine, e.g. PrBoom.

Chocolate Doom is intended to be as close to the original engine as possible; I'm pretty sure the biggest purpose for this is to play PWADs that were designed for the original engine's quirks and limitations. If you're just playing regular Doom, you don't need it. Just use DoomRunner/PrBoom.

I can't run doom.wad even with DoomRunner... I put it in the same directory where there is doom1.wad and I created a profile exactly like the demo, but with doom.wad selected... and it does nothing...

I even renamed doom.wad to doom1.wad and tried lo launch the profile for the demo (that was working), but the game won't start...

I took the doom.wad from my original floppy version... maybe there's the need of a patch of some sort ?!

try your wad on ReMooD Gold, maybe there's something wrong with wad? If there's somethign wrong with PWAD, TC's wont run/work

I didn't tried with chocolate doom but Steam as doom versions. and I've used them with doomsday.

try your wad on ReMooD Gold, maybe there's something wrong with wad? If there's somethign wrong with PWAD, TC's wont run/work

I didn't tried ReMooD Gold cause I read it was needed doom2.wad that I don't have... but I will try it

i have no idea on how to use chocolate doom either and many other apps. many of these apps don't even have documentation. im new to these kinds of things and i need clear instructions. all i got when i launch doomrunner is a video, where is the playable demo? i just bought doom online, can someone tell me where to put these data files?

freedoom wad

I can't run doom.wad even with DoomRunner... I put it in the same directory where there is doom1.wad and I created a profile exactly like the demo, but with doom.wad selected... and it does nothing...

I even renamed doom.wad to doom1.wad and tried lo launch the profile for the demo (that was working), but the game won't start...

I took the doom.wad from my original floppy version... maybe there's the need of a patch of some sort ?!
My guess is that there's something wrong with the wad itself (you never know with 15+ year old floppies. I ran into problems trying to extract Doom II from an original floppy set, I ended up grabbing it from a CD version instead).

Does the doom.wad still work with the original Doom for DOS?

Oh, one more thing. If I remember correctly, I added Doom Legacy to the latest version of DoomRunner. You can try it with that (got to Edit->Advanced and you can change the source port to Doom Legacy, and try again).

i have no idea on how to use chocolate doom either and many other apps. many of these apps don't even have documentation. im new to these kinds of things and i need clear instructions. all i got when i launch doomrunner is a video, where is the playable demo? i just bought doom online, can someone tell me where to put these data files?
Hi. Where did you buy Doom from (also, which version of Doom)? And, when you run a game from DoomRunner, after pressing "Play", you might have to press a key to get to the main menu (try "Esc", "enter", and "space" first). Hope that helps.

In dosbox the game was running well, so the wad was fine, but after trying even ReMood Gold without result, I found the solution to my problem, I patched my Doom v1.1 to the v1.9 and the doom.wad was updated too, now it works in Doomrunner and Chocolate Doom.

I can't find something that works with it in ReMood Gold anyway...

I have even another patch from v1.9 to UltimateDoom, but didn't try it

Just for reference I found the patches HERE

Chocolate Doom works very well for me, but I have a question: is there a way to adjust the gamma ? it's way too dark in some areas. I tried to adjust the gamma of the LCD itself but it is not good enough... any idea?

In dosbox the game was running well, so the wad was fine, but after trying even ReMood Gold without result, I found the solution to my problem, I patched my Doom v1.1 to the v1.9 and the doom.wad was updated too, now it works in Doomrunner and Chocolate Doom.

I can't find something that works with it in ReMood Gold anyway...

I have even another patch from v1.9 to UltimateDoom, but didn't try it

Just for reference I found the patches HERE
Alright, great. I'll update the DR description with a link to the patches.

Can't help you with ReMood though, since I don't have access to my Pandora at the moment -.-

freedoom wad

My guess is that there's something wrong with the wad itself (you never know with 15+ year old floppies. I ran into problems trying to extract Doom II from an original floppy set, I ended up grabbing it from a CD version instead).

Oh, one more thing. If I remember correctly, I added Doom Legacy to the latest version of DoomRunner. You can try it with that (got to Edit->Advanced and you can change the source port to Doom Legacy, and try again).

Hi. Where did you buy Doom from (also, which version of Doom)? And, when you run a game from DoomRunner, after pressing "Play", you might have to press a key to get to the main menu (try "Esc", "enter", and "space" first). Hope that helps.

i tried all that, but nothing. it just shows me a video of doom, but i can't play it

freedoom wad

i tried all that, but nothing. it just shows me a video of doom, but i can't play it

In DoomRunner, when the "video" is playing, you have to press ESC (Fn+Q) to access the menu and start a new game

No Doom engine "just shows [a] video of [D]oom". In fact, there are no videos in proper WADs, just demos (a sequence of player actions executed in sequence, sort of like an emulator movie, if I'm not mistaken). The standard behavior is you see the title screen, then a demo loads and starts playing, then you might see some other screen, then you see the title screen again. This repeats indefinitely. To play, you need to press the key that opens the menu (Esc on PrBoom, I don't know about Chocolate Doom), which will allow you to start the game or adjust the options. Are you sure you pressed the right key to get into the menu? I'm not familiar with Chocolate Doom, but it ought to be Esc, Enter, Space, or perhaps Start or one of the face buttons if it's had the controls adapted to the Pandora. Or maybe it's one of the function keys (F1-F12). Try checking the documentation or the config file if none of the sane possibilities work.

Back