CHIP - The World's First Nine Dollar Computer

Sure, it's tiny, but why spend $20 on an M3 when you can spend $9 on a slightly larger A8?

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the kickstarter, CHIP has built in wifi and bluetooth, no need for anything extra.

Oh, I didn't see that. Built-in WiFi is a huge deal. I have some projects this makes a ton of sense for now.

hum... just noticed the 20$ shipping for internationals... the pocketchip form factor is interesting, but that's about all... 29$ for a barboard without VGA/HDMI, 39$ for the same but with a battery or over 40$ for just the chip and either a HDMI or VGA baseboard... no thanks...

the pocketchip otherwise is quite nice as full keyboard+screen handheld are not so common... one could regret that it does not feature either an HDMI or VGA output trough...

So this is effectively the Chinese cut-down pandora clone, in the handheld version - (for sure its not being made in Oakland if my kickstarter experiences so far mean anything). 

I can imagine lots of people being disappointed with the performance and software set, except where its being used in a robot (where linux might not be an optimum choice anyway)

As Exophase noted about the numbers, if it isn't fraud they most probably already have a mass volume customer that plans to put this into a set top box or something else where composite video is still useful (being located in Shenzhen a market shouldn't be too hard to find). This kickstarter then seems more like advertising than an actual prerequisite for the project. But that doesn't have to be a bad thing if it means you can get your hands on a cheap gadget.

one could regret that it does not feature either an HDMI or VGA output trough...
The Raspberry Pi is hard to beat in features :)
the raspberry PI got no full keyboard nor screen... I was talking about the pocketC.H.I.P. with the shipping cost all the other options are useless with what's already on the market...

Seems like an attempt to Chip away at the raspberry PI's Profits!

I'll see myself out now. :ph34r:

This makes my nostrils flare. They're using Kickstarter for free advertising. Hardly the most egregious abuse of Kickstarter but it's still annoying.

I'm pretty sure almost 50% of KS campaigns are more done because of the advertising effect than due only the need of money. And this $9 trick was actualy pretty clever because  alot of news-sites have a bite taken. Hm, How about announcing the Pyra for $99 first? :D

So the story of "we got a super discount from Allwinner" was totally a pie... a lie...

This makes my nostrils flare. They're using Kickstarter for free advertising. Hardly the most egregious abuse of Kickstarter but it's still annoying.
I thought the advertising and awareness raising was a big selling point of using Kickstarter.  Why would it bother you at all?  If Kickstarter was only for collecting money without letting others know about your project there are better options.

yes go ahead, only 500$ shipping fee worldwide :)
I see this sort of thing on ebay all the time.  I saw something recently "sell" for $8 with around $50 shipping (still a decent total price for the three items).  Based on what the items were there was no need for it to cost that much to ship within the country.  Long ago I got caught by that, so now I always check shipping costs for anything I buy online, not just ebay auctions.

Well, my first Kickstarter will start in a few weeks - the RetroPi. Should I use that as a proper training? :p
Please give your customers (and the forums) a heads up on what time it will go live so people can get in early.  I really wish I had money to support this even though I have no need for it right now.  Maybe I can give a few bucks.

Back