CHIP 9$ portable computer

and to sumarize:

due to shipping, this is way to costly. the only interesting product being the pocketC.H.I.P due to the lack of other product with the same formfactor. all other package are too costly compared to alternatives. they told they're looking to lower shipping so it might get interesting, but at this point it isn't...

Yeah, even the $5 shipping to the US. If I could get 10 of just the chips for $9 each and, say, $20 shipping? I'd be all over that. But they don't do multi-board by themselves, the kickstarter is predicated on the idea that people want the PocketCHIP and I honestly could not care less about that. As soon as I got that home automation idea I just had to run with it.

It's also the reason of people struggling to get more recent kernels to work, while we have the latest RC running on the Pandora...

TI may have an annoying SGX, but the rest is supported in mainline kernel.

Ops, the original post a week ago skipped me for some reason.

Thanks for the summs, I also read the original now.

General idea+9$ caught my attention, but as you guys stated, it is not that dream land and the 20$ shipping is weird.

Thanks again for clearing it up.

If you look at the history of the page you see that there were GPL violations for A13 (and others) that have been fixed (though whether that is actually possible to do retroactievely with GPLv2 is disputed, it is explicit in GPLv3 i seem to remember) by recent updates of AllWinners github. Whether that is part of an evil strategy or whether they are actually trying to play by the rules isn't clear.

And what I don't like is the Allwinner SoC... full of illegal binary blobs in the kernel tree.

Http://linux-sunxi.org/GPL_Violations

If you support Allwinner, you don't support Linux.
Is there anything saying that this particular SoC (A13) requires GPL violations to support?
It seems the A13 is MOSTLY open now (except for CedarX (VPU/GPU)), though it's unclear if that's really true (if you browse the web, it seems like a mess).

However it seems AllWinner always has the same scheme:

New SoCs violate the GPL until they get older, then they start to release more and more code... and often they try workarounds (using opensource code to load a binary blob that uses LGPL code) to try to hide that.

Not sure that's something to support, even IF the A13 works for you without any violation.

lol, they just changed the shipping to 25$... it's getting worst and worst...

It's still coming up as $20 for me.

Someone just commented that "we're used to free Amazon shipping and we have to realize blah blah blah" and I'm just "stop". I'm not used to Amazon free shipping, I'm used to kickstarter free shipping. Every other kickstarter I've backed the (local) shipping has been included in the pledge. Pledge $20 and get a shirt, the $5 shipping is already included. If shipping internationally, you add more and that's understandable, but the basic value has always included shipping. I've even backed a few Canadian kickstarters and the shipping has been free there as well. I just got one reward hand delivered to me, actually.

Anywho, I don't know what I'm ranting about right now but I'm sure it's not important.

I wonder if I can prototype a dozen M4s and some wifi chips for under $10 each. That's all I really want.

hum, the c.h.i.p. is still 20$ but the pocketC.H.I.P is now with 25$ shipping...

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe buy 20 chips, so it would just cost 1$ shipping per person? Maybe we can get groups for nations in this board. Like ptitseb and Linux-Swat for france etc. National shipping is a plus of 2-5 Euros, so it would way more cheaper to buy a bundle for a nation and send inside the nation with local post services.

lol, I just checked... 100$ for the 10 pocketC.H.I.P combo... even UPS and DHL won't be so costly... there's no doubt that a good "share" of the shipping is in fact part of the chip price...

Wow. Looks really nice. Lots of effort and time went in to design the components.

And sure, each pledge looks expensive, but they need to buy in high quantities to get the price down. So the kickstarters pay upfront.

Still... with Raspberry2, and other small format devices out there already saturating the market, they are kind of a late-commer. And the device is too scary/geeky to draw in more ppl. I wonder what the youth is up to now...

It fits in a banana! Banana-phone in the making!

you do realize that it will cost you 44$ right? and you'll get it, at best in one year...

Back