Check Out This Screen Replacement!

DaveC

Internal Development
I know it is old news for most but I was combing ebay and came across this. The original plastic screen used to bug the F*#! out of me. I put a glass screen like this one in (although I made mine myself) and it REALLY makes a difference. It is really clear and makes the screen look brighter because it doesn't have that blue streaky scratchy crap on it and lets more light in. It is much easier to clean as well because it won't streak and scratch. Trust me it would be the best $7.00 you can spend on your GP32 as it makes everything look so much better, really.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

How do you replace it? Do you ahve to open up the back, circut board to get to the screen, or is it possible through the front?

No you dont have to open it, just pull out the plastic greyish part out the pull the screen out and replace it. it seems simple but very difficult because its like glued on or sometin

yaustar posted on Apr 19 2004 at 04:00 AM said:
How do you replace it? Do you ahve to open up the back, circut board to get to the screen, or is it possible through the front?

I recomend these tools before you start:

Xacto knife or sharp penknife

Window cleaner

Paper disposable towels

Clean horse hair brush

You only have to pull out the grey "frame" on the front. It is held in place with double sided tape. The way I did it was to take an Xacto knife and place it in the upper corner (so if you make a small mark you won't see it) and then slowly pull up. You will hear the tape crackle a little and the bezel will slowly come off. Be patient and hold constant force and let the bezel come up on its own time. When it is off you will see the plastic screen there. note or even mark with a pen where the corners are so you can line up the new glass in the same spot. Next I would reccomend washing the glass replacement with a window cleaner and get off all dirt and dust. I held my replacement glass near a halogen desk lamp and studied it for dust or streaks. I used a small horse hair brush to whisk off any dust, flick the brush occasionally to clear any dust on brush so that when you use it you won't be ADDING dust to screen. Then when you are satisfied with the glass hold it so that any dust will not fall on the side that will eventually be on the inside. then pry up the plastic screen and then quickly swap screens as to not let any dust in. Don't press down yet. Study the inside of the screen and make sure dust didn't get in. If it did lift up a corner of the glass closest to the dust particle(s), dab out the dust piece with the brush, and let the glass fall in place. Never try to blow the dust out with your mouth as any spit particles will have disasterous results. I would NEVER touch the actual LCD, just the glass, with anything other than the brush ( don't try to clean with window cleaner etc.). When satisfied press the glass down into the double stick tape and replace the frame.

It may sound hard but it isn't too bad, and it really is worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
cool. mine is getting really ugly. nearly all of the blue crap is worn/scratched off. the only time that stuff came in handy was once when i had it in my pocket some gunk got on in idk what it was maybe like a jolly rancher sorta half melted or some crap dont know really. and it got on the screen. well i tried to rub it off and it seemed that wherever that blue stuff was it was easier to rub off. isnt it supposed to be like anti-glare or something?

fh36 posted on Apr 19 2004 at 05:08 AM said:
cool. mine is getting really ugly. nearly all of the blue crap is worn/scratched off. the only time that stuff came in handy was once when i had it in my pocket some gunk got on in idk what it was maybe like a jolly rancher sorta half melted or some crap dont know really. and it got on the screen. well i tried to rub it off and it seemed that wherever that blue stuff was it was easier to rub off. isnt it supposed to be like anti-glare or something?
It is supposed to something like anti-glare. It just ends up looking like crap after awhile. The only downside to the glass is if you are one to throw around and beat on your system you could break the glass. You may want to think about a case of some kind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back