Cheapest Way To Get Dpad On Gp2x?

yalborap

Website
www.geocities.com
Well, the question's pretty simple. I like my GP2X, but I do not like the lack of a dpad so much. I'm also low on cash and technical skill, so I can't just mod it myself or fling money at the problem at the moment.

So I ask you fine fellows, what is the best option to solve this problem? Is there a way to make a USB joystick send the same commands as the built-in buttons so things don't need to support it for it to work? Or am I just being stupid?

Thanks in advance, and such.

yalborap posted on Dec 21 2006 at 08:02 PM said:
Well, the question's pretty simple. I like my GP2X, but I do not like the lack of a dpad so much. I'm also low on cash and technical skill, so I can't just mod it myself or fling money at the problem at the moment.

So I ask you fine fellows, what is the best option to solve this problem? Is there a way to make a USB joystick send the same commands as the built-in buttons so things don't need to support it for it to work? Or am I just being stupid?

Get a B.O.B. ... you can at least play PicoDrive, MAME2X and maybe 1 or 2 other apps using a USB joypad this way :p

Last edited by a moderator:
TelcoLou posted on Dec 21 2006 at 08:22 PM said:

Get a B.O.B. ... you can at least play PicoDrive, MAME2X and maybe 1 or 2 other apps using a USB joypad this way :p
Or try RETROUSB!!

That site rocks. They allow you to make usb adapters for nearly anything :D

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 21 2006 at 08:36 PM said:
TelcoLou posted on Dec 21 2006 at 08:22 PM said:

Or try RETROUSB!!

That site rocks. They allow you to make usb adapters for nearly anything :D

... yes, AFTER he gets the B.O.B. ... those groovy controllers won't work without a BOB :)

Yea, 30 boners is a great deal for a plastic controller.

I wholeheartedly recommend getting at least half a dozen.

- Alex

Alex. posted on Dec 21 2006 at 09:17 PM said:
Yea, 30 boners is a great deal for a plastic controller.

I wholeheartedly recommend getting at least half a dozen.

- Alex

... why do you find the need to type your screen name after your post ... when it's clearly visible in the upper left corner?

TelcoLou posted on Dec 21 2006 at 05:40 PM said:
... yes, AFTER he gets the B.O.B. ... those groovy controllers won't work without a BOB :)
The BOB is a joke, I have been away, but isn't there a USB cable yet?

AFAIK there is no way to do what you want yalborap, you will need a modicum of skill and some money.

The USB bit isn't hard to do, just a simple resistor setup (less than $1 in a surface-mount at mouser.com) and a 5 volt power supply (v2.0 gp2x motherboards supply this from the internal voltage regulator). And then if the program supports it you can plug any old USB joystick/pad and it will work as input. Including the cool retroUSB controllers.

If you do use a usb stick it will kind of ruin the portability. Unless you cut up the pad and use it as a "monster grip"/new controller pad :).

on a slightly off-topic note, can we make our own GP2X model? I mean really make our own proper D-Pad sporting, USB port-having, battery options, and TV-Out that isn't tethered to an insane flimsy "monster plug"?

I mean, can ED and Craig talk them into selling bare-a$$ motherboards and adding a duaghterboard with the USB and the TV and the D-pad (MAYBE a Li-Ion charger/battery minder;)) and throwing it in a custom-made plastic case? It would be Awesome!! :), maybe if it started selling GPH would see the error of their ways ;).

Ah well it's a nice dream :), to bad it's a snowball's chance.

nubie posted on Dec 22 2006 at 05:21 AM said:
TelcoLou posted on Dec 21 2006 at 05:40 PM said:
The BOB is a joke, I have been away, but isn't there a USB cable yet?

This guy sells both a simple EXT-to-USB host cable, and one with a seperate power supply. Although, personally, I think the BOB looks great, and I think I'll probably get one of the commercial ones when they come out.

mrben posted on Dec 21 2006 at 10:42 PM said:
This guy sells both a simple EXT-to-USB host cable, and one with a seperate power supply. Although, personally, I think the BOB looks great, and I think I'll probably get one of the commercial ones when they come out.
Sweet, still expensive for those in the US. But I am glad artaylor is still supporting those, last I knew he was sold out.

My problems with the BOB have been widely documented, but here they are:

1. Too big
2. Lousy connection to GP2X, one hideous plug is enough, why add another?
3. Serial and Jtag aren't necessary for 90%+ of users. (and I built my own Serial cable for <$5)
4. +12v power supply is ridiculous, USB is 5 Volts
5. Power supply not bundled.
6. Cost is outrageous, any USB 1.1 hub shouln't cost more than $10, unless it includes a power supply, then $20 is fine.
7. You can add USB to your own TV-Out cable for less than $10 at any Radio Shack or similar.

So I don't see a need except for a select few, but if GPH wanted to make money, they are going about it the right way.

nubie posted on Dec 21 2006 at 11:21 PM said:
Unless you cut up the pad and use it as a "monster grip"/new controller pad :).
That's so crazy, it just might work. If I can succesfully add usb to my old style tv-out cable, I'll give it serious consideration.

Back