Captain Impatient

palmertech said:
Hmm... Kyo is very chadful in that he seems to currently agree with CTF. However, he is somewhat un chad-like because of his cheerful an non-abrasive demeanor. I think that the only person here who is really qualified for this....Is chad. Ok, back to under Chads bed (With 8 others!)
...?
huh?
on topic, i'd put myself in the better not sooner crowd. I've been eagerly anticipating this for almost a year now (I lurked for a while) and if i've waited that long, i can wait another month or two for it to be perfect. craig & co, more power to ya! make it great! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's simple. I want the P to be the coolest gadget out there. If the dev team needs some time for further improvement and community in not against a delay, than it's ok for me. Go ahead. All I know is that I need a UMPC/MID (whatever you call it) of the Ps size, capable of running linux and most of linux apps, powerful yet energy efficient. I'm not a fan of the P, nor I'm a member of this community. If another gadget appears with the same functionality/price tag and the P gets delayed once more, I'll choose another option. No offense, but I'm not a maniac. But to be honest though I don't feel myself as a part of this community, I really like the atmosphere and people on this forum. The community seems to me as a competitive advantage of the P, which I will certainly consider if the P's rival appears on the market.

PolloLoco said:
Did a mod not say that we should not provoke Chad (or anyone for that matter)?

The only point of this post, that I can see, is to piss off Chad.

OT: I do understand the reason for the delays, but I am an impatient person. So I've decided l'm going to pick myself up a WiBrain next week and see how the Pandora comes along by Christmas. I do agree with Chad, the release dates probably could've been thought of more thoroughly. Craig & co. have done a great job of keeping in touch with the community, and perhaps them speculating dates too early was just a side-effect.

Edited 28/7/2008 @ 12:30 - Removing quoted post - Tobriand

I don't want it 'perfect'. It's software - software can never be 'perfect'.

As long as the hardware doesn't need after-market mods I'd be happy with slightly less than perfect software and the option of (not) bricking it with future updates.

But Craig, as manager and banker of the project, is the only one who knows how much time can be spent beta testing before they need to start getting money in. 'Hopefully not Duke Forever'

He also knows how 'perfect' it has to be to reduce the number of whining n(.)(.)bs contacting him.

I have faith that it'll be 'pretty damned good' when it's released and I'll be happy with that

PlopperZ said:
PolloLoco said:
Did a mod not say that we should not provoke Chad (or anyone for that matter)?

The only point of this post, that I can see, is to piss off Chad.

OT: I do understand the reason for the delays, but I am an impatient person. So I've decided l'm going to pick myself up a WiBrain next week and see how the Pandora comes along by Christmas. I do agree with Chad, the release dates probably could've been thought of more thoroughly. Craig & co. have done a great job of keeping in touch with the community, and perhaps them speculating dates too early was just a side-effect.

Edited 28/7/2008 @ 12:30 - Removing quoted post - Tobriand

Wait... You're a gamer and you're getting a WiBrain? It's got a 1.2GHz C7 CPU and a UniChrome IGP at 200MHz. That's not gamer specs. You'd be best to get the new ASUS Eee PC 901. Still not good for gaming, but the 9" screen is nice and the beefier CPUs make it better for emulation.

Unless you're talking about the new WiBrain just introduced today.

http://www.umpcportal.com/2008/07/wibrain-...d-umpc-details/

icurafu said:
Wait... You're a gamer and you're getting a WiBrain? It's got a 1.2GHz C7 CPU and a UniChrome IGP at 200MHz. That's not gamer specs. You'd be best to get the new ASUS Eee PC 901. Still not good for gaming, but the 9" screen is nice and the beefier CPUs make it better for emulation.

Unless you're talking about the new WiBrain just introduced today.

http://www.umpcportal.com/2008/07/wibrain-...d-umpc-details/

The WiBrain will serve my purpose for gaming for now, NES, SNES, DOOM, PSX should work and maybe N64, basically the same as the Pandora. Plus I can get one for 20% off which is always a bonus.
I don't see the point in the EEE. It's too big to fit in my pocket (at least the WiBrain can fit in a hoody's) meaning I'd have to carry a case around for it. I might as well bring my laptop.
I'll get a Pandora once I see some nice software come out.
Thanks for the link, I'd not known about it. Hopefully it'll be around the same price as the original.

Good point about the weight. Eee PCs are actually very heavy. I think that is the difference between a UMPC and a netbook.

I'm using a U810, which is 75grams heavier. You get used to this kind of device in no time, because it can be used for so much more than gaming. Make sure you try streamMyGame.

Anyway, don't be too stressed if you can't get the new WiBrain. It has the same GPU as the pandora (nearly) SGX 535 instead of the SGX 530 in the pandora.

let's just remember that the software devs are working while the hardware is being polished. it's not like you have to wait for the release of the system and first then starts the wait for the software to be developed.

no point in hoping the system is rushed out because you're impatient to play games on it if you'll get it before most of what you'll want in software isn't ready anyway. then it wouldn't be so different to wait that time to get the hardware, as well as the software.

if most of the software you can think of to wish for is already playable, then it'd make sense to be impatient for the hardware to be readied for purchase.

Is it a possibility to get video of a complete unit in action? As someone in the impatient category, I think this would help quench the thirst. The videos of the tech demos and mock startups look great, but I'm curious to see a completed unit in action (button presses / input impacting screen activity).

PlopperZ said:
Thanks for the link, I'd not known about it. Hopefully it'll be around the same price as the original.
Which is how much? That thing looks expensive.

JPWasko said:
Is it a possibility to get video of a complete unit in action? As someone in the impatient category, I think this would help quench the thirst. The videos of the tech demos and mock startups look great, but I'm curious to see a completed unit in action (button presses / input impacting screen activity).
Well, You haven`t got much hope at the moment, As the hardware is not finished yet.

Trooper

chad78 said:
PlopperZ said:
Which is how much? That thing looks expensive.
They sell for as little as $500 and increase along with upping they specs.

http://www.dynamism.com/wibrain_b1.shtml

The new L1 will be have prices released soon... it should be less as the components are cheaper, but as menlow is also new, it may cost more.

http://www.dynamism.com/wibrain_l1.shtml

Back